User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    hmmmm...

I realize that some movies are portrayed as "fact" when the put that "based on a true story", but come on people.

It's just entertainment. It's a MOVIE, not real life.

Besides, everyone KNOWs what Aussies sound like. Didn't Paul Hogan prove that?

perhaps it should carry a government warning "Extreamly loosely based on a true story... maybe"
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    And I learned this about America
    - All phone numbers in America start with 555
    I head that all phone numbers in the US depicted in film and on TV begin 555 beacause that particular 3 digit code doesn't exist, and no phone numbers in the US begin 555, therefore you don't get freaks phoning numbers they see on tv or at the cinema. Imagine the crap you'd have to deal with if your phone number was featured in a movie.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

These are only guesses:

Film prouction companies are more likely to seek sponsorship from Apple because films are most likely to be edited on Apple, I guess.
    I seriously doubt that, you can't do pro movie editing on an Apple. you need something like fire* running on an SGI Origin2000 render farm or better
    Drinky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Drinky

I seriously doubt that, you can't do pro movie editing on an Apple. you need something like fire* running on an SGI Origin2000 render farm or better
    No, not really. A lot can be done on a humble power mac with 768Mb of RAM! Apple is used extensively in the television and movie industry, where an NLE is needed just to cut the project.

You're referring to the process of rendering special effects digitally, which is still quite rare in movies (think "The Phantom Menace" or "Toy Story 2"). Yes, these would need a ton of processing power, rendering all through the night, then printed to 35mm film and assembled mechanically along with everything else. Fire is a compositing program that is used to _create_ picture, then do a film print of it.

However, even this kind of thing can be, and is, done on macintosh. Adobe After Effects is used for many television series and movie title sequences. "The Talented Mr Ripley" is an example.

You don't even need _hundreds_ of megahertz just to cut a film, however. A crude video transfer of the film is digitised to a fast hard drive, and cut away. You just need to export the EDL on a regular 3.5" floppy and give it to your lab to assemble the picture edit from the film negative (or prints, depending on how it is done).
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 8, 2001 at 00:30.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Owen
    Okay, i know it's off topic now but why are you blambing the americans?
    Did I say Americans? - uh no, I said HOLLYWOOD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right. It's not a particularly American flaw, it's a general, global, hollywood, studio-system flaw.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Independance Day I know that it's possible to be taught how to fly a F16 in one day, by the President of the USA.
    And aliens could start by bombing army basements, but no they prefer bombing harmless monuments.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..and you can find your Girlfriend, who could be anywhere in the USA by jumping into a Helicopter...

...and having never been in an Alien mother ship you can find a port to upload a virus which may or may not work (but oh actually it does) and then escape with out them frying your annoying-funny-man ****...
    Last edited by z7; Jun 8, 2001 at 03:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...which suppose the aliens are running a very insecure OS ...you wonder how they went through all these astronomic distances with an OS like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...quite.

That film could have been REALLY good - it was for about the first hour...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if something happens to your friends or family and you know the criminal who did it, you'll think about calling the Police, but someone comes and tells you: "No John, don't call the Police. Let's deal with it by ourselves."
    Eventually you show the criminal to the policemen at the end of the movie. But this happens only after you have neutralized him.
    Last edited by Michel V; Jun 8, 2001 at 04:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you notice how people only use the keyboard in movies ? They almost never use a mouse, even in graphical apps ?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially when they are creating wireframe models. They never reach for a mouse or graphics tablet, they just type and it gets built on the screen.

Also, we all know that computers beep, buzz and whistle when they are thinking, and beep every time you press the "Enter" key.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

You don't even need _hundreds_ of megahertz just to cut a film, however.
    You don't need the MHz unless you want to do real time editing, which is what discreet's products let you do. What you do need is massive ammounts of RAM and storage, plus ton's of bandwidth between capture device/digitizer ram and disks. If you want to work with uncompressed video, that is.

The EDL method only works for cut and shut video editing. Which is nice if you are cutting multiple camera angles of the same scene together, but that's about all you get to do with it. We were talking about professional movie editing, where there are usually loads of effects (effects arent just explosions, composite and fade to black are simple everyday effects). If you are gonna do all this stuff, why not do your cut and shut on the same system?
    Last edited by Drinky; Jun 12, 2001 at 16:46.
    Drinky

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Also, we all know that computers beep, buzz and whistle when they are thinking, and beep every time you press the "Enter" key.
    Yup. Anyone who has seen Nick Burns on SNL knows that as he types furiously, the Mac he is on beeps when he presses Return. I have never seen a mac with an internal speaker. Maybe some old SE 20 had an internal speaker, but definately not the relatively new computers he was using.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick Burns -- Hahaha. It gets worse though: while all using iMacs, Burns made a reference to one of them, talking about how the company was in the process of upgrading to the next version of Outlook. Whoops!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Nick Burns -- Hahaha. It gets worse though: while all using iMacs, Burns made a reference to one of them, talking about how the company was in the process of upgrading to the next version of Outlook. Whoops!
    There is Outlook on the Mac. There is Office 98 on the Mac - not 97. I don't think there is a 2000 version, and I haven't heard anything about Office XP on the Mac either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh, my bad. I don't know what version he said though. I think he might have said 7.0 or something -- if he mentioned any version number like that it would have been a mistake I believe.

He also said something about AOL not understanding JavaScript -- though I'm fairly sure most versions of AOL have some compatibility for it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he said 6.0. I am not sure, but I think that is correct. Versions with years usually have numbers, too.

And his comment about AOL not understanding JavaScript may be true - I am not sure, but it may have some problems understanding JavaScript totally.

There are some things that don't make sense (to me at least)...especially in the episode where he is competing with the guy who knows a lot of stuff. It sounded like they jumbled up a few things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day movies are there to entertain us and movie makers are here to make thngs that will entertain us! Take note of the fact that very few (if any) movies have "This movie was a pinpoint accurate dipiction of a true story" do they? They say "based on a true story" and they are just that BASED!!

A number of things in the movies are interesting though...one thing in particular!
    Until about 8 James Bond movies ago IBM seemed to advertise prominently in the films. Then in one movie (might have been goldfinger not to sure though) a building with the IBM logo on top is blown to pieces with the IBM logo in full view...after that i didnt see the IBM logo in the James Bond movies anymore

Although with the england being badly represented thing, apprently until a few years ago england was displayed on maps significantly larger than it actually is! Why? Because english authorities had been the only ones to officially map the land mass in recent times, it wasnt until a US satellite was doing a mapping project on the country that it was discovered it was much smaller. "Legend" has it that england did this deliberalty to intimidate enemy coutries (germany, etc) who had much larger land areas than england!
    Dont know 100% if that is true but it is definately plausable...

Oh and before all the british people come and slam me for that i am half british, not very partriotic to the "mother country" but half english all the same
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be Honest - I don't like Britain much either! (must be the Scottish/Austrian in me)

But I like to hold on to the fact that just after WW1 we had one of the greatest empires the world has known - all to many people seem to forget this...

If it wasn't for the stoopid border controls I could have chosen to live in Canada or Australia, now I have to go through a whole load of BS to live in a country that still carries our Queen on their currency...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    z7, come to New Zealand (our border controls are *****) live here for 2yrs and then you can get easy access to Aussie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7
    But I like to hold on to the fact that just after WW1 we had one of the greatest empires the world has known - all to many people seem to forget this...
    I dont know if i would choose to call it one of the GREATEST, definately a GREAT empire but in comparison to the Romans for example not much really compares!
    And lest we forget England was getting pussy whipped by Germans all through WW2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BULL CRAP - that war was won in the Air (and the Yanks helped out a little! ).

I was actually talking about landmass; Australia, Canada, India, parts of Africa, Gibraltar(!), Argentina...

How many GREAT empires have there been, The Romans... uh? (my history isn't that good! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The British Empire was FAR Greater than the Roman empire in size and citizens.

Roman

British

Hurar for the Pink