SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25 posts is such an arbitrary number considering there is no "qualification" for what those 25 are. It's also a little annoying as I'm not a huge poster as I end up posting 50 times a day on my own support sites.

It would be nice if there was another way to prequalify without having to find posts to randomly inject something into to get to the 25 number.

[That's 2.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsion
    jshibbly, thanks for taking that a bit further than I did, I need to learn to read better. Your right, I've seen one comment turn things into almost a full blow argument.

It does seem like the rating system is a bit underused. I know I've used it on a couple of occasions.
    ...Someone did suggested that before and i think it is more proper so I am reiterating it here. I myself get pm for lots of stuff like misspelled names or asking permissions and stuff, i think keeping this kind of conversations private is more comfy and less embarassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extremefitness
    25 posts is such an arbitrary number considering there is no "qualification" for what those 25 are. It's also a little annoying as I'm not a huge poster as I end up posting 50 times a day on my own support sites.

It would be nice if there was another way to prequalify without having to find posts to randomly inject something into to get to the 25 number.

[That's 2.]
    25 posts does seem like an arbritary number, that's why I voted for it to be lifted before, but with the lifting the board became a little swamped with new folks that haven't been behaving very well. Wish I knew the answer to this one.

As to the rating system, a lot of times I see it used only to be complained about by the contest holder. And moments later all kinds of rating points are added mysteriously. I've only used it a couple times myself. Once when a contest holder held a really good contest, and once to voice my displeasure over the way a contest was being conducted.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    25 posts does seem like an arbritary number, that's why I voted for it to be lifted before, but with the lifting the board became a little swamped with new folks that haven't been behaving very well. Wish I knew the answer to this one.

As to the rating system, a lot of times I see it used only to be complained about by the contest holder. And moments later all kinds of rating points are added mysteriously. I've only used it a couple times myself. Once when a contest holder held a really good contest, and once to voice my displeasure over the way a contest was being conducted.
    I think the biggest glitch in the rating system is that although 1 star is "terrible", giving a thread a one star rating makes it more noticeable in the list and many people see it as a "beginning".

The ratings are based on the average "votes" so a single 5-star rating (excellent) makes the thread appear to BE excellent although it is only the opinion of one person.

For instance if you mouse over the 5-star rating on this thread, you will see that it has just one vote that gave it a 5-star rating. I'm proud to say "that" vote was mine!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extremefitness

[That's 2.]
    Even worse is that there is no qualification for entering a contest. Any one that got photo shop (or another art program) for Xmas or their birthday can do it! It IS an imperfect world, isn't it?
    Linda Jenkinson

Hikari silver trophy artistsneverdie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pm Linda, only just noticed this

Good thread tsion, I know you and I have had a bit of a discussion before about this sort of thing.

I'd like to add my weight behind the various suggestions put forward, including the sticky thread of people who have been banned (perhaps the date they were banned too). One such example of this would be the $325 cd cover design contest. Seems as though the same guy that held a previous contest re-registered after not paying out to start up a new contest. Obviously there is no real way to block people from re-registering (e.g. Yolah ) which is why I think a post count rule is necessary to prevent people from simply building up a whole army of names, and switching between which ever one maintains some credibility.

There is also the problem that new members seem to ignore what advice is given to them by the older members of the forum, for example warnings about contest holders that are of no use, or simply ignoring any common design curtosy and being "influenced" by already submitted designs, and then moaning that it's their right and we should just deal with it... I think we have a duty to ourselves and for the good of the forum to protect our designs in some way, it just needs to be done tactfully. Recently, i've reduced my activity in these contests simply because of the influx of new members without any sense of curtosy, and also vast number of contests that are going down the toilet.

I still think having some form of account at SP where a depoist has to be made by the contest holder before a contest is confirmed, might be a good idea. The only problem would be administering that account and would probably throw up more legal issues than it was worth.

As to fonts, I always convert them into paths unless they're freeware licence fonts. Saves my *** from becoming grass.

I noticed Maleika (Kohoutek) had a thread about an ebay type feedback system in the support section. Maybe that would solve some problems.

Despite all the moaning, I do enjoy doing these contests as they have provided me with a number of returning clients simply from winning a logo contest, as well as making my design skills stronger.

*edit* it seems to have edited out a s s.
    www.hikaridesign.com | Contemporary Design
    Won some awards here once upon a time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey AND, it's about time you showed up
    But seriously, I was hoping you'd show up here. Welcome.

I think the dead contest issue can only be truely resolved in one way, and that's like AND said, with some sort of deposit or prepay type system. But I agree, it might cause more problems than it worth. Like:

Who moderates the prize account. I'd vote for Sarah, but she's like the other mod's here, and is a volunteer. She shouldn't have that burden. Does SP have employees, and if so should one of them be assigned to it?

What if a contest holder does decide to back out of the contest? Do they just get a full refund of thier prize? Or what if something happens to the contest holder, and they cannot pick a winner. Who decides who gets the prize money, if anyone.
    It's issues like this that only the SP powers that be can answer.

Back to the font issue, I've removed it from my original post, but I still think it's an issue.

AND, if you know Maleika, send a pm. That feedback system is a great idea.

Tsion
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    -- Jimi Hendrix
    No I don't
    -- W. Wisdom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to bring the font thing back to the forefront, but what is a designer to do, when the contest holder is emphatic that they want the fonts? And many more are doing that without saying what their reason for them is. If it's just to make minor revisions to the design, I would think that would be alright, but if they plan to use them in the implemetation of a site or publication, I think they need to buy a license.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    Hate to bring the font thing back to the forefront, but what is a designer to do, when the contest holder is emphatic that they want the fonts? And many more are doing that without saying what their reason for them is. If it's just to make minor revisions to the design, I would think that would be alright, but if they plan to use them in the implemetation of a site or publication, I think they need to buy a license.
    Well, since were back on the subject....

Fonts are like any other source material, they are subject to copyright. I think that since there are so many free resources for them that people forget this fact, and assume that they can just be passed around without any concern. If we are expected to hand out our fonts, then we should be able to use any image we find on the net in our designs, right....wrong.

Say I design a business card for $50 lets say, and I use a font that I've purchased. I'm not going to give away a font I paid $30 for a $50 dollar piece of work. Yes, there have been a couple times I needed a font badly enough that I had to purchase alone. I'll tell someone where to get it, but I'm not gonna give it away. Not only because I paid for it, but because I also agree to a terms of use when I purchased it.

This is just me, maybe I'm over reacting on the issue. But thats the way I am.

Tsion
    -- Jimi Hendrix
    No I don't
    -- W. Wisdom

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, since were back on the subject....

Fonts are like any other source material, they are subject to copyright. I think that since there are so many free resources for them that people forget this fact, and assume that they can just be passed around without any concern. If we are expected to hand out our fonts, then we should be able to use any image we find on the net in our designs, right....wrong.

Say I design a business card for $50 lets say, and I use a font that I've purchased. I'm not going to give away a font I paid $30 for a $50 dollar piece of work. Yes, there have been a couple times I needed a font badly enough that I had to purchase alone. I'll tell someone where to get it, but I'm not gonna give it away. Not only because I paid for it, but because I also agree to a terms of use when I purchased it.

Tsion
    I don't think you are over reacting at all. I feel the same way.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, for the amount of money and time involved to moderate the contest money system I doubt SP would go for it - we have asked many times before and each time they answer has been no.

As I believe that only shifts the problem from one area to another - so you guys don't get the hassle but we do

I would rather get it resolved rather than getting into this type of thing - plus you still have the issues of fair contests being personal opinion..

believe me if there was a straight answer we would have done it!
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to fonts, now that I know more, no more free fonts. If the contest holder wants them I will tell them what they are, and they can figure out where to purchase them. For what most of us get paid, that's their job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Contests... I like to tink of them as a 'break' from regular work, or a 'boredom killer'.

I've no idea whis soem take sontests so seriously. To those of you that do - take it easy, and find more stable work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Contests... I like to tink of them as a 'break' from regular work, or a 'boredom killer'.

I've no idea whis soem take sontests so seriously. To those of you that do - take it easy, and find more stable work.
    Mstwntd, thank you for joining our thread, your comments have been very insightful. We really appreciate the great input reguarding our topics here, please continue to join in our discussion. I think we all can learn something from your wisdom.

Tsion
    -- Jimi Hendrix
    No I don't
    -- W. Wisdom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only hope you type and spell better, in your "regular" job. Some of us are freelancers and take on the challenge of each contest seriously. If this is a sort of joke site for kids, someone should let us know.

Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more the principal. We don't like to be taken advantage of. None of us expect to make a living here but we do expect a contest holder to hold up his end of the bargain.

I was really angered when one contest holder stated that he didn't have time to leave feedback for everyone. I think that if we are willing to take the time to create something for his contest he should at least take the time to acknowledge everyone who enters. Lack of feedback is really frustrating.
    Feedback always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tsion
    I agree on this. 20% of my fonts are bought from a local designer. No, you're not over reacting..
    stay hungry, stay foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for Sarah:

We have one new member in particular that is acting like a school child, posting numerous entries on posts for contest holders to respond to his entries. It's becoming irritating.

Who's place is it to guide this individual into a professional behavior?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ME

Pat - PM me the details and I will endevour to bring him/her into line and resolve it

Thanks
    Regular user

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fan posts

Please Sarah, read the posts #30 to #38 in this thread. I know if I was running a contest, these posts would definitely make me take a second look at the designs mentioned in them and turn my attention away from other just-as-good if not better entries.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...12#post1817312
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    done
    Regular user

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    done
    And very well done, IMO ... thanks!
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I believe this contest could go into the dead zone.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247635
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys can you report or PM me with problem posts and not use this thread? thanks

Linda - have PM'd him
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What woudl be good is for you guys to jot down over the next week or so - or even past week or so - and count number of good contest vs bad - to see if we really have a major problem, or that most of you have been in the same bad ocntests and its sounding much worse than it is ?
    I think shy only posted here because of what you posted earlier.