SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    I've never understood the big deal about post count.
    I'd imagine that for at least a couple of the "Introspammers", the motive can be found directly below the copy&paste post.

The signature. I know of people who deliberately attempt to inflate post count in various forums in a sad attempt at increasing their backlink count.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viflux
    I'd imagine that for at least a couple of the "Introspammers", the motive can be found directly below the copy&paste post.

The signature. I know of people who deliberately attempt to inflate post count in various forums in a sad attempt at increasing their backlink count.
    Yeah. I mean, I enjoy having my signature. SP refers me traffic, and it does give a small SE boost. I've got 5300 posts (+thousands in general chat), so that shear number of posts obviously does have a benefit. Still though, I wouldn't go posting in the intro form to artificially gain more. I enjoy posting here at SP, and I enjoy posting posts that are of some quality, and that actually help.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I enjoy posting here at SP, and I enjoy posting posts that are of some quality, and that actually help.
    I agree with that completely

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy posting quality posts, I just fail to do it with any frequency. Still, that is no excuse for my former practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    I was just huffy yesterday, even though I am gonna avoid the intro forum and rep for awhile but I will again return someday.
    Don't avoid them because of other members complaining about this and that. I don't have much time these days that's why I don't welcome new members. I disabled rep 'cause I realised it was making me loosing some energy and that it was influencing in some way my posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to add to what others have said about post count not mattering - it just doesn't!

I get very irritated when I see old threads dragged up in the introductions forum by someone looking for a few extra posts, or when I see someone that clearly hasn't read the thread and just posts a one line 'Welcome ' regardless. However, I think having an introductions forum where we welcome new members is a great idea and if the cost of that few people posting just for $postcount++; then so be it - at the end of the day they're just wasting their own time!

@Mike: Yeah, removing intros posts from the search results would be a very good idea.
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone enlighten me why intro posts are still counted? I've read about 'we should not count intro posts' several times but it has not been implemented and no good reason is given. I don't believe it will deter people from welcoming new members as long as we have people who genuinely want to build SP, make it a friendly, helpful, and useful community. Look at general chat, it still has healthy number of new threads everyday even though the posts there are not counted.

I admit I'm also guilty of one-liner welcome message few times when I really don't know what else to say. But I always try to post it if the new member has less than 5 replies. For those who has received 10 or 20 replies, I don't bother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by battra
    Can anyone enlighten me why intro posts are still counted? I've read about 'we should not count intro posts' several times but it has not been implemented and no good reason is given.
    Well it takes a bit more than being suggested here for something to be implemented. But your right - it has been discussed by members and also by staff on several occasions, but at present the outcome has been that counting posts in that forum is worthwhile because it does encourage people to post welcome messages in that forums. Giving new members a warm welcome when they join is an important part of our community.

If a few members abuse that then so what? As has been said by many people here, post count for the most part is meaningless - it serves a basic function in that it encouarges people to post frequently to gain access to Custom Avatars, Certain Forums, Custom Titles, Gold (Orange) Pips and so on, but that's about it really. It's nothing to get worked up about.
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, just did a search for Hellio and found three of those Intro spammers you were talking about.

But maybe they're bots. You never know.