User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm just grumpy...

But one thing that I think should be moderated better is in the intro forum. I have noticed that there are a handful of people with super-high post counts that post the exact same message in the intro forum 500 times or so, and contribute nothing or little else to the community. I don't have anything against the intro forum, but I think that the messages should be somewhat personalized (or at least appropriate). Some of them make no sense in the thread (because the user brainlessly posts the same message in every thread). If there is any reason to disable post count in the intro forum (which I don't agree with), this is it.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Yeah there are alot of people that feel the same way about the intro forum.

I reply to posts in the intro forum, but as you say I try to personalize each one in some manner. Though I will admit that sometimes you will see the standard "Welcome to the community" from me too.

I hope I am not the user that ahs made you so mad goalie?

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has jumped up into discussion a few times before.

The main problem SitePoint has with this is that they want to encourage friendly response (for good reason, and I support this stance). As much as I agree with you regarding those that do it strictly to boost their postcounts, I even more so believe that we should encourage replies to these intro posts as much as possible. Whenever I post to a new forum for the first time it's really nice to receive a welcoming feeling from the current members of the board. Nothing's worse than going to a new place and you feel unwanted. Yes, some of these might be impersonal, but they aren't without value. When a new member posts their first thread here and receives a "Welcome to the Forums!" within a few MINUTES then we're doing something right, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag
    Hello

Yeah there are alot of people that feel the same way about the intro forum.

I reply to posts in the intro forum, but as you say I try to personalize each one in some manner. Though I will admit that sometimes you will see the standard "Welcome to the community" from me too.

I hope I am not the user that ahs made you so mad goalie?
    No, you would be a counterexample. Your intro posts are what should be posted in the intro forum, personalized and un-generic. If you take a look at the parody intro thread I posted, a few people left unfitting, generic messages. If you take a look, those same people left the same message in about 100 or so different threads. That is what I am talking about.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Persnoally I think if the members found out people like computerages were just copying and pasting the same message (easy to find out), they would feel insulted. They would get the impression that people enjoy spamming for post counts, which in my opinion gives a poor impression for SP.

Posts shouldn't count in that forum. They should disable it and then do a recount to take down the post counts of all the people who've spammed in the past. I know SP'ers who have more than 50% of their posts in the intro forum. That's sad/pathetic/you name it.

Oh well.

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't go in it -- no one else does that's why it's not moderated properly
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be perfectly blunt, on my list of things that require my attention here at SPF, this would rank very, very low. Why does it bother you if certain people have high post counts?
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the post counts, it's the spam. I click "New Posts" to see the entire first page just computerages posting the exact same mesasge. I click to page 2 and most of that page is the exact same. It's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    It's not the post counts, it's the spam. I click "New Posts" to see the entire first page just computerages posting the exact same mesasge. I click to page 2 and most of that page is the exact same. It's ridiculous.
    I know. That's what ticks me off the most- I know someone's been inflating their count when I come home and there's 17-19 pages of new posts instead of my usual 13-14.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geniusgoalie
    No, you would be a counterexample. Your intro posts are what should be posted in the intro forum, personalized and un-generic. If you take a look at the parody intro thread I posted, a few people left unfitting, generic messages. If you take a look, those same people left the same message in about 100 or so different threads. That is what I am talking about.
    Cool. I try to keep it somewhat unique.

I can agree with this, as I have seen the same thing, like sometimes they're not even reading the posts.

SitePoint Enthusiast SheWritesCopy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to jump in here on this one. Here is my 3 cents worth.

As you can see from my post count I'm a newbie here on SP.

It was great being welcomed by some of the SP members and it certainly helped me to get comfortable with the site. I was a bit apprehensive about joining because my field is copywriting, not web design. In all honesty, those that read my first post (and responded appropriately) were greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No one likes to feel like they are just another number for someone's post count.

It is obvious that some SP members want high numbers. I'm still trying to figure out why that is. Maybe I'm missing the part of the site that offers prizes for the most posts...

For those of you enamored with the numbers:

Instead of increasing the amount of your post count, how about making your posts...count?

Contribute to the site! You have knowledge, experience, etc.

Do you really want someone to do a look up on your posts and discover hundreds if not thousands of "Welcome to SP" and then find only a few contributing posts?

I'm not writing this to bash anyone. I just want you to think about it.

There are plenty of people here that could probably use some of the knowledge you have.

It's great to be "Welcomed" so,how about sharing some of your other good stuff?

Life's a concert, don't just sit there and flick your bic...get up and start singing!

Nuf Said
    Anita Franklin
    PowerHouseCopy.com
    Creating copy that works as hard as you do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWritesCopy
    Instead of increasing the amount of your post count, how about making your posts...count?
    Massive props for that line there. Kudos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been argued to death.
    The conclusion is always the same: there are members abusing the system and people can increase their post count by copying and pasting the same message, but at the end of the day, it still brings activity to the intro forum.
    As I usually say, there are no rules against copy&paste. Not that I advocate this (on the contrary I don't like it either) but there's no rules broken when someone does this.

Now I'm trying to understand why this very subject is always annoying so many people (it's the most discussed topic in the feedback forums, easy) and the bottom line usually always relate to the post count (for the first time I've read an interesting argument, the "new posts" issue). Why is post count so important? Is that some kind of contest? There should be much much much more complains about unclear thread titles or code not embedded in bbtags. Still, I haven't read any rant against it.

Honestly, my advice is to just focus on the quality of your own posts. If you do that, your posting efficiency will be dramatically improved and you won't be bothered by little details (as I doubt that post count will be disabled in the intro forum, even though I now think that it would be a good experience ).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duuudie
    (as I doubt that post count will be disabled in the intro forum, even though I now think that it would be a good experience ).
    It would be interesting to see who would stay and who would go from the intro forum we're the posts count disabled.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy if the forum just stayed out of the search results
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Post Counts and the Introductions Forum

Here is my (almost certainly incoherent) stance on the issue.

Post count is post count. Post something and it increases. Have a post deleted and it decreases. To say that post count should only factor in posts that were "useful" to the community would be perhaps a bit misleading, because that is what reputation is: A measure of a user's usefulness, helpfulness, and other words ending in the hissing suffix to the community.

Post count is simply an objective measure of how frequently the user has participated. I continue to feel that posts in General Chat should not count, and I remain undecided on the issue of whether welcoming posts could count.

I will be blunt: For the first year or two that I was a member here, I inflated my post count. I convinced myself that I was helping to keep SitePoint a warm and friendly environment, and not only was I not doing that, I was deluding myself as to the nature of my true intention. If post count in the introductions forum were to be disabled and post counts recounted, I estimate that I would "lose" at least three thousand posts, perhaps more. I am not proud of this fact.

Perhaps, however, this "new" hypothetical post count would be a more accurate representation of how frequently I have truly contributed to SitePoint's main area of discussion, web design and development. If that were the case, I would welcome my lower post count.

I still post in the introductions forum occasionally, but I make a concerted effort to vary the length and content of my welcomes. Frankly, I do not see the harm in such a practice, for it both welcomes a handful of new members and limits the misleading quality of my post count.

So, after writing this slightly ambiguous reply, I will put it this way: Post counts do not matter much. If, however, the SitePoint administration elects to disable post count in the introductions forum, I will welcome (no pun intended) this decision, even if it means that I lose a pip and a piece of my ego.

And perhaps such a decision would motivate me, and other members with a history similar to mine, to participate more in what SitePoint is truly about, and have their post counts reflect accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.
    Here is my (almost certainly incoherent) stance on the issue.

Post count is post count. Post something and it increases. Have a post deleted and it decreases. To say that post count should only factor in posts that were "useful" to the community would be perhaps a bit misleading, because that is what reputation is: A measure of a user's usefulness, helpfulness, and other words ending in the hissing suffix to the community.

Post count is simply an objective measure of how frequently the user has participated. I continue to feel that posts in General Chat should not count, and I remain undecided on the issue of whether welcoming posts could count.

I will be blunt: For the first year or two that I was a member here, I inflated my post count. I convinced myself that I was helping to keep SitePoint a warm and friendly environment, and not only was I not doing that, I was deluding myself as to the nature of my true intention. If post count in the introductions forum were to be disabled and post counts recounted, I estimate that I would "lose" at least three thousand posts, perhaps more. I am not proud of this fact.

Perhaps, however, this "new" hypothetical post count would be a more accurate representation of how frequently I have truly contributed to SitePoint's main area of discussion, web design and development. If that were the case, I would welcome my lower post count.

I still post in the introductions forum occasionally, but I make a concerted effort to vary the length and content of my welcomes. Frankly, I do not see the harm in such a practice, for it both welcomes a handful of new members and limits the misleading quality of my post count.

So, after writing this slightly ambiguous reply, I will put it this way: Post counts do not matter much. If, however, the SitePoint administration elects to disable post count in the introductions forum, I will welcome (no pun intended) this decision, even if it means that I lose a pip and a piece of my ego.

And perhaps such a decision would motivate me, and other members with a history similar to mine, to participate more in what SitePoint is truly about, and have their post counts reflect accordingly.
    What he said!

Seriously, that post explained everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I have to spread some more rep, but that one deserved it Cory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.
    That's the single reason I think they shouldn't count. The general chat has MANY more quality posts than the intro forum -- but it isn't web dev related, so they don't count. Why do intro posts count?

It would be interesting to see who would stay and who would go from the intro forum we're the posts count disabled.
    I've said this in every "Let's make posts not count in the intro forum" thread: If the staff disables posts counting in that forum, and they make it so the introduction forum doesn't show up in "New posts" I will personally (no copy and paste garbage) welcome every single member that posts a thread in that forum. Until then, I refuse to throw away my dignity and pride by spamming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and they make it so the introduction forum doesn't show up in "New posts"
    I hardly do all too many Intro forum posts anymore, but if they do that I certainly will never do it. I don't browse forums- I browse "new posts". If intro posts don't show up there, I won't check them (and I'm sure many others will be in a similar situtation).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I think from now on I will no longer visit the intro forum, I did not used to post in there until I hade been a member for awhile, that way I felt like I was in a position to actually welcome a new member.

There just seems to be to much controversy involving the intros, and the rep so I will just avoid both. If there was a way to disable post count I might do that too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I think from now on I will no longer visit the intro forum, I did not used to post in there until I hade been a member for awhile, that way I felt like I was in a position to actually welcome a new member.

There just seems to be to much controversy involving the intros, and the rep so I will just avoid both. If there was a way to disable post count I might do that too
    That shows a lot of maturity on your part. But you were not one of the offenders- your intro posts were, from what I saw, perfectly acceptable. I think that your intro posts contributed to the forum, and should count. Copy and paste (generic) messages are what I am talkign about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geniusgoalie
    That shows a lot of maturity on your part. But you were not one of the offenders- your intro posts were, from what I saw, perfectly acceptable. I think that your intro posts contributed to the forum, and should count. Copy and paste (generic) messages are what I am talkign about.
    I don't know if the first line was intended to be sarcastic or not, but either way I figure I will just avoid controversy at all costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood the big deal about post count. Rep is where it's at and spamming the intro forum won't get you rep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Same here.
    I'm really focusing on trying to answer a few questions a day and that definitly makes my day even though I will still occasionnaly welcome new members.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duuudie
    Same here.
    I'm really focusing on trying to answer a few questions a day and that definitly makes my day even though I will still occasionnaly welcome new members.
    I was just huffy yesterday, even though I am gonna avoid the intro forum and rep for awhile but I will again return someday.