SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 57 of 57
  1. #51
    SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Posts
    5,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I got it now ... (and I more with it today), thanks Sarah for clearing that up.

  2. #52
    Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    No it doesn't. If you aren't in PHP-parsing mode, then PHP never reads the ?> (or rather, it completely ignores it). If <? doesn't count as an opening tag, then the ?> at the end of the line is completely ignored/unseen by the PHP parser, and therefore doesn't actually have any issues.

    Try it if you think otherwise.
    Sorry, I see how you were thinking, I was thinking more on the basis of my templating engine.


    echo "<?xml...?>"; // that closes PHP parser

    And, I did try it :-)
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

  3. #53
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit confusing, agree...

  4. #54
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down

    POSTING CONTENT FROM OTHER PEOPLE OR WEBSITES
    Copying any content from another person's work, or another website, is not allowed without express permission from the creater/owner of the original work. Even if you attribute the article correctly it is still copyright infringement. Do not reproduce substancial parts of articles or news items from other sites in the forums. If you don't have permission to copy something then always err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material at its original location, or quote a short excerpt only, indicating where the quote came from. SitePoint shall not be held responsible for member-posted information that violates copyright.
    That still doesnt' clarify, for me, what users are supposed to do when they are answering extremely specific questions where the answer is too long for the SP forum post. I mean, when dealing with such technical stuff you can't always just summarize an answer.. I think it is a huge disservice to those using the forum who are trying to get help. There is this HUGE elephant in the room saying Don't link to any external site, or our SP clan will bann, kick, and delete your butt.

    Another question
    I happen to have written several lengthy HOW-TO articles about a very particular niche, .htaccess files. I wrote these articles only to help, not as some sort of search-engine bait or whatever its called on SP.

    So the question is, How am I supposed to link to my articles (which continually and repeatedly contain the solutions people are asking for)???

    When I joined the forums I was really excited because your articles are so good, and my modus operandi was to totally re-format and paraphrase my articles on my blog and post them here, a lengthy-process, and then at the very bottom I would cite my own dang blog here is an example of what I would do. What SP is doing by not allowing users to link to their own how-tos and tutorials is just so that site visitors will stay on SP longer. Really its no better than spamming itself because it is hurting the user-experience just so they can make money from advertisers.

    Today I got an email saying I received a new PM on sitepoint, and I was excited that someone asked me a question about one of my articles. Nope. Instead I found out that all but 1 of my posts had been removed for "Self-promotion"!!! Ridiculous!

    If this post doesn't get me banned from SP I'll probably come back and edit it to be less confrontational.. but man those posts took me a long time to do and I thought I was CONTRIBUTING to the forum and helping people out.. I had no idea I was a SPAMMER spamming the forum. Ridiculous!
    Last edited by produke; Jan 9, 2007 at 10:47. Reason: ahhhhhh

  5. #55
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by produke View Post
    That still doesnt' clarify, for me, what users are supposed to do when they are answering extremely specific questions where the answer is too long for the SP forum post. I mean, when dealing with such technical stuff you can't always just summarize an answer.. I think it is a huge disservice to those using the forum who are trying to get help. There is this HUGE elephant in the room saying Don't link to any external site, or our SP clan will bann, kick, and delete your butt.
    It is very, very rare that a solution is so complex that it cannot be posted in the forums. In those rare cases it can usually be solved by breaking the problem into smaller parts and addressing them individually. I actually can't imagine a scenario where someone couldn't receive help in the forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by produke View Post
    Another question
    I happen to have written several lengthy HOW-TO articles about a very particular niche, .htaccess files. I wrote these articles only to help, not as some sort of search-engine bait or whatever its called on SP.

    So the question is, How am I supposed to link to my articles (which continually and repeatedly contain the solutions people are asking for)???

    When I joined the forums I was really excited because your articles are so good, and my modus operandi was to totally re-format and paraphrase my articles on my blog and post them here, a lengthy-process, and then at the very bottom I would cite my own dang blog here is an example of what I would do. What SP is doing by not allowing users to link to their own how-tos and tutorials is just so that site visitors will stay on SP longer. Really its no better than spamming itself because it is hurting the user-experience just so they can make money from advertisers.
    SitePoint's policy is that members cannot link to their own websites unless it is required to help them with a technical question they have (usually a design/programming issue). Otherwise, even if the content is useful and relevant, it can't be posted in a member's post. If you have content that does answer someone's question, well, post it in the thread.

    They have chosen this policy to prevent members from using their forums as a place to advertise. They really want to keep the discussion in the forums without distractions. They also don't want people to abuse it and fluff post or use it as a loophole to promote themselves. On the flip side members who have truly useful content can't present it to the forums which is a shame. All-in-all the policy works, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by produke View Post
    Today I got an email saying I received a new PM on sitepoint, and I was excited that someone asked me a question about one of my articles. Nope. Instead I found out that all but 1 of my posts had been removed for "Self-promotion"!!! Ridiculous!
    Wanna promote your articles? Use your signature, that's what it is there for. Just don't tell tell people to click on the links in your signature as that is just as good as linking to them in your post.

    I get plenty of traffic to my sites from my signature. It's a great bonus for being an active member here.

    Quote Originally Posted by produke View Post
    If this post doesn't get me banned from SP I'll probably come back and edit it to be less confrontational.. but man those posts took me a long time to do and I thought I was CONTRIBUTING to the forum and helping people out.. I had no idea I was a SPAMMER spamming the forum. Ridiculous!
    We don't ban people for complaining. We only ban people who prove they cannot follow the rules.

    And we hope you keep contributing because you obviously know your stuff. Just do it within the forum guidelines so everyone can benefit and have a positive experience.

  6. #56
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Wirral, England
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is clearly a complex issue with much confusion arising.
    I actually wrote a piece about it on my site, but its too big to see here so just check out my signature...
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom


  7. #57
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    They have chosen this policy to prevent members from using their forums as a place to advertise. They really want to keep the discussion in the forums without distractions. They also don't want people to abuse it and fluff post or use it as a loophole to promote themselves. On the flip side members who have truly useful content can't present it to the forums which is a shame. All-in-all the policy works, though.
    Am I allowed to say BS?

    That is a really transparent white-lie that they get all their errand-people to perpetrate. They are obviously doing it for the money and the SEO benefits of more in links than out links. If it was a matter of keeping the spam out and the content in they would do what every single other forum does they would check to see it the linked to article was spam or "self-promotion" and filter out the bad while keeping the good.

    Definately SP has enough admins to do this... but no, they want the money. So screw all of the people who use the forums, its either link to Sitepoint, or link to nothing.

    I'm a member of about 15 webdev compsec forums and this is by far the strictest policy I have ever come across.

    Its so hypocritical its laughable.

    SP wont let us link to relevant and good and useful non-spam articles because thats called "self-promotion".

    What in the heck to you call all the Popups, Ads, fees, articles, books, etc.., etc.. that are all over this place?

    Thats why they won't let us link to external sites, not because of "self-promotion" but because they are self-promoting themselves... the longer they can keep visitors in this forum the more ADS they will be able to show us, etc.. My opinion of SitePoint is quickly changing.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •