SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extraneous Comments...a suggestion

We have a lot of new people on the board recently.

I would just like to suggest, that people limit their thread submissions to entries and questions related to the contest.

I would also like to suggest that if you want to comment on a particular design and you aren't the contest holder, please email or pm the designer. Don't do it in the open forum.

It's also frustrating to receive a lot of notifications to the effect: "I am in." Why not just subscribe to the thread and enter when you have something to show, unless you are just trying to up your thread count.

Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noted. :lol:

I'm in.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol Metalish.

I understand your reasoning for being annoyed phacker, and I will no longer conduct such activities, thanks for the heads-up .

Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    It's also frustrating to receive a lot of notifications to the effect: "I am in." Why not just subscribe to the thread and enter when you have something to show, unless you are just trying to up your thread count.
    This is also highly annoying for the contest holder, I think you will find that over 50% of the people who say that they are "in", never actually post an entry, and that is very disheartening for the contest holder because they get told they have entries to come, yet nothing gets entered.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the first part of what you say. With the last line (posting that you participate) I do disagree with you. There ARE contestholders who actually want to know if there is interest in a contest and who/how many people enter or are planning to enter a submission.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    I agree with the first part of what you say. With the last line (posting that you participate) I do disagree with you. There ARE contestholders who actually want to know if there is interest in a contest and who/how many people enter or are planning to enter a submission.
    Then let the contest holders ask for such posts in the contest information. Those who post that they have an entry "on the way" often just hold up the decision on those entries that are received.

It's understandable in a large contest like those for templates and headers with navigation, that you can't have an entry in within an hour or two, but if you are going to enter, I think your time would be better spent in designing than in posting superfluous comments to the contests.

I have even seen some that say, "I'll maybe enter this, if I get time." To me this is discourteous to those that do have the time as well as insulting to the contest holder.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually thought of something else.. If I am very into a contest that isn't my own neither one that I have participated in, in any way, I do like to show my appreciation of that contest to the contest holder and participants just for the mere interest factor. Sometimes at the end of a contest I like to congratulate the entrants and most of all the winner, would you consider this to be reasonable?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although it's annoying reading through the dozen "I'm in" entries when going through contests, there IS a plus side. It bumps up the thread to the top of the list, to give more designers a chance. This benefit itself sounds like it's worth it for the contest holders, but maybe I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, people should only post entries, ask for feed back, say "I'm in", Post sarcastic remarks, and casual off-topic topics.

"Sometimes at the end of a contest I like to congratulate the entrants"

Ok, now people should only post entries, ask for feed back, say "I'm in", Post sarcastic remarks, casual off-topic topics, congratulations, and payment recieved..

"It bumps up the thread to the top of the list, to give more designers a chance."

Ok, now people should only post entries, ask for feed back, say "I'm in", Post sarcastic remarks, casual off-topic topics, congratulations, payment recieved, and post to keep the thread alive.

"comments while the contest is going on can direct the outcome of the contest."

Ok, sacasm is out. So, that leaves Ok, n only post entries, ask for feed back, say "I'm in", casual off-topic topics, congratulations, payment recieved, and post to keep the thread alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think at the end of the contest, congrat comments are ok, but comments while the contest is going on can direct the outcome of the contest.

Someonewhois, the contest holder can always bump the contest up if he/she wishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps people believe they are being polite by posting that 'they are in' - maybe it might serve as indicative interest for contest holders.

Does this thread belong in this forum? - on topic 'gabble' might be an ambiguous subject, but the rule of posting contests in the contest forum isn't is it ?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG.MichaelC
    I've actually thought of something else.. If I am very into a contest that isn't my own neither one that I have participated in, in any way, I do like to show my appreciation of that contest to the contest holder and participants just for the mere interest factor. Sometimes at the end of a contest I like to congratulate the entrants and most of all the winner, would you consider this to be reasonable?
    A lot of us congratulate the winner and compliment the contest holder when the contest is over. This doesn't do anything to either hold up the contest or to sway the opinion of the contest holder for or against a single entry. In fact, I think it's a good way to build community.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metalish are you brain dead or impaired or just trying to up you thread count. I think probably the later.
    I'm sincerely hurtt? :'(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked under general chat, and it didn't seem to fit there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metalish are you brain dead or impaired or just trying to up you thread count. I think probably the later.
    I don't think that's very polite, have you posted this thread to get people's opinions - or to tell them how-it-is ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it wasn't, sorry. I deleted that post. And apologize to Metalish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked under general chat, and it didn't seem to fit there.
    I took a second look and it's not a 'contest' unless your planning on giving a prize for the best answer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think at the end of the contest, congrat comments are ok, but comments while the contest is going on can direct the outcome of the contest.

Someonewhois, the contest holder can always bump the contest up if he/she wishes.
    Yeah, but if the contest holder is saying bump, people get suspicious. I hate people who bump their own threads -- actually I boycott threads that have bump in them, for the most part. There are times when I'll go in to a thread to help someone and I see a bump, so I close the browser. Bumping is stupid, and annoying. When you've got other people at least making a somewhat-constructive post (notifying the contest holder that they'll be entering), it's a bit better.

The bumping idea is from the "Sell your Template" forum. People always post "Nice template" which inadvertantly bumps the thread up for someone else to see.

Also, I doubt it's for raising post count. If they wanted to do that, they'd go introduction spamming. There's a dozen SP'ers who just spam the introduction forums and have thousands of posts, most of them in the intro forum. They just copy and paste "Welcome to Sitepoint" to a few dozen threads a day. It's the most degenerate thing I've ever seen in my life, but people do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most contest will get entries, if they just give it a little time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise this isn't a contest, but it's not related to any other forum. So where would you have it posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a "Forum Support" forum that this would belong in. I'm sure Sarah or one of the community team advisors will move it shortly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the folks that post "I am in." are just raising their thread counts. I wasn't referring to the contest holder. I have only seen a couple of them bump their threads and that was only during a really active period here when there were a lot of contests posted, and they didn't seem to being getting any response.

I still think that is better than the twenty or so "I am in things" I receive for new contests, and maybe 5 submit entries.
    Last edited by phacker; Apr 2, 2005 at 12:44.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm too much of a hippie to care enough about this kind of stuff. What I do agree with is the commenting on other people's designs while the contest is still on. I can see how some dislike that and I'd never think of doing so myself. However, the rest is rather trivial in my opinion, for me anyway. If the contest holder is annoyed, he can state it. If this annoys so many people that designers respond about their willingness to enter, then perhaps this thread should be ported over to the suggestions forum as it would lean more towards a change of rules I'd say.

For me, when I see a contest that I love to enter, I sometimes state that I'll join it. I think it's polite, it's kind and I'm displaying my enthusiasm towards creating a design. I almost exclusively participate in website design contests. Designs take at least a day, mostly, however, it takes me a few days to conceptualize a design. I really cannot see the harm whatsoever in notifying a contest holder that I am working on an entry for his/her contest and when it will be ready for submission.

Regards,

Maleika
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By thread counts, I assume you mean the number of posts they have? As I said, people raise post counts by spamming the introduction forum. They don't need to spam the contest forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise this isn't a contest, but it's not related to any other forum. So where would you have it posted.

I wouldnt tell you where or what to do anything - that would be forcing an opinion on you and that's not a community orientated thing to do now is it

... one of the moderators might find a new home for you - but I'm all for free speech, here - and anywhere else, unless expressly stated otherwise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry didn't see that forum. My apologies.

Pat