SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paintball Web Site Review

This is a new site, just made it a little while ago, if you all could be so kind to check it out. You may reply in here, my forum, or the poll on the website... to summerize, its a Paintball Team that I have and we needed a new site, so I and my friend have started construction on it. Be vicious with your comments... polite and dishonesty will not get me anywhere... please note: I am only 14. While your at it, why don't you drop a visit by Wolf Software -- its where I work.

http://www.2nuke.com <--Paintball Site
    http://www.wolfz.com <-- Wolf Software
    Robbie Zienert
    www.wolfz.com -- Wolf Software
    Review Computer: 667 Mhz, 128 RAM, 1024x786, 24-Bit Color

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I viewed ur site in IE 5.5 and all the layers were messed up. I don't know is it just me or what?
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like to be critical since I am going ask for a site review, but the words become difficult to read when they are right behind the letters tmd. My try to increase the font size or bold it.

The flash for the team roster was good, but the font was difficult to read. Had to lean into the monitor to distinguish the letters.

I like the color yellow and I think it looks good on a dark background.

I think it is informative and maybe include some pics of you and your team members like http://www.geocities.com/teamvoltage...g/Page_2x.html.

Good luck

Hope I didn't make you too upset. Just trying to help.

P.S. I didn't any problems with layer, but I'm using IE 5.0.
    Forsteen
    Law of Probable Dispersal
    Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to be brutal.

The sites both lack design consistency, layout, architecture, standards.

No biggie, just the "small" things...

For instance on both sites the header is one element, the nav is one element the main area is one element. This is how all sites are but the distinction is HUGE on yours, trying to tie them together somehow would improve this alot.

Also, tiled background generally suck ****, but that's personal opinion simply because I've YET to see one that doesn't. If it doens't have a reason to be there, drop it.

On both your sites you have a slew of links (explaining why you thought in "some" (obviously yours being one of those in your mind) circumstances going over 9 levels wide is fine). There is no need for many of these... For instance companies could simply be it's own page on your paintball one, no need for it to be everywhere unless they are all sponsoring this site (which I doubt since it's on geocities).

If the audience doesn't have a primary use for something on YOUR site, leave it be or relegate it to a separate page.

'nuff said, didn't mean to be brutal, I'm just waking up and still chilling from your last remarks.
    Last edited by Jeremy W.; Jun 6, 2001 at 05:11.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lose the flash intro its slow and just to boring. Not sure if your trying to run a biz but this site looks like an after school project. Can't really give you a review with out being rude but its just a poorly designed site. Look around at other peoples web sites and get some ideas for a design and but some time and effort in to it.
    Quality, Professional Web Hosting
    www.host-tastic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I viewed the www.2nuke.com site and the font looked pretty ugly IMO. I'm a fan of Arial & Co. rather than Times New Roman. My browser was IE5.5 btw, and the layers didn't move at all, when I maximized the window. ...?!

Jens
    "Every takeoff is optional, every landing is mandatory."
    www.FeierMehl.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn...lol...oh well, I know the site sucks. I screwed it up a week after I made it...and about the pictures of the team, I intend to add those on the Flash Version of the site I'm making, which actually has a good design. By the way, no need to refrain from being rude, heck, the site sucks I know it I just need to know the crappy stuff. I only found one compliment...it was about yellow text, oh and the roster flash. Time and effort, hmmm, I suck, I'm 14 years old. Some sites I make are good, others are peices of crap. Did everything suck to you guys? Jensst - I was going to make the text verdana but I forgot and decided to screw the site not too long ago. Studio, no problem. Brutal is wonderful. Once I'm done with the flash site (which I actually sent in a rough draft to a "real" web design company and they said it kicked ***) I will post it, so hopefully that will be better than all negitives but maybe 1/4 good...
    Robbie Zienert

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    checked out your site -

The tiled background should be much more subtle, try making the letters much bigger and closer together with just a slight color/value change with bg color. It shouldn't overwhelm.

The opening flash looks like you got some good practice, but it doesn't really provide any benefit. I'd redo it or lose it.

When I got into your site I did like the design of the header, though it doesn't integrate well. And the tiled background here is even more distracting and makes the text hard to read.

When I clicked on a menu item and another flash movie started I immediatly exited the site so that's all I saw. Am guessing the same has happened to many others?

I'll be putting my first site up for review soon and you can give me your thoughts…
    Lee Nelson
    Look Around everyone’s favorite city!
    iNeTours.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you clicked roster didnt you? oh well. thanks for he comments...
    Robbie Zienert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intro won't even load and its been 10 minutes. sorry to rail, but you need to make it smaller (on the software site)
    my Karma ran over your Dogma err my Dogma ran over your Karma
    CAK design Web and Graphic Design
    WebMafiaForums Admin

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The background and text color make for a bad combination regarding legibility. I'd change one or the other.

Also, the home link doesn't work.

Possibly use rounded corner tables and a solid color background to help contain the flash files throughout the site. They just look "stuck" in different places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a shame. Someone asks for us to be rude and everyone beat me to it. Damn.

Instead I had a look at your Wolf Software site. And well, it just didn't load- I wanted to skip the intro and I got a white screen. So then I had to click another button. I wish you hadn't made it open in a popup window cos clicking a link gives me no indication of whether it is loading or not. Why make the main site in a popup window anyway? What does it achieve apart from losing the menus which we might want anyway?

I could sit here all day and rip it up. The only thing I will say is that you are obviously excellent on your graphics. Good job - just concentrate now on the page building!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site review

I think you should introduce cascading style sheets as your rollovers are a bit faulty.

What about some Flash Animations ? Paintball is a great subject for a cool & messy animation.

Good luck!
    Seb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on your paintball site in the side bar you should make it so there are different kinds of colors for the bg sort of like paint balls. And also maybey when you click a link that read bar will be over the link when you are on that page that would help us know where we are at.
    will haveone soon

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huh

I don't get what you mean... sorry...
    Robbie Zienert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, that wasn't the easiest post to read!

I think what Kdog meant was that when you click a link and are taken to the page, that link then becomes active (i.e. changes colour or whatever) so you know which page you are viewing.

Always thought this was a good idea but still a little pointless. Surely you should know what page you are reading, you just clicked the damn link!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well for get the link thing but the back ground on your side navagation bar should have like paint ball swatches on it like a graphic or soemthing to suite your theme.
    will haveone soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. Keep up the good work. Everything is always for the better.

SitePoint Enthusiast ben_washington's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs more content and graphics, In my opinion the colors you have used are not the best.

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The font is too small to read, especially when it's a serif font, try using a sans-serif one instead like Verdana.

It doesn't really tell me it's a paintball site...and the layout is a bit generic...