User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool How to place shopping basket contents into Orders Table

Hi There

I am reaching the point in the implementation of my first shopping cart where I need to place all the customerís products within their shopping basket into an orders table. I am sure many of you have performed this task before so I wondered if you wouldnít mind pointing me in the right direction. I am not really sure exactly what is usually stored within the orders table in most shopping carts. My shopping cart contents is stored in a session array like this

IF NOT isArray( Session( "cart" ) ) THEN
    DIM localCart( 5, 20 )
    ELSE
    localCart = Session( "cart" )
    END IF

FOR x = 0 TO UBOUND( localCart, 2 )
    IF localCart( CARTPID, x ) <> "" THEN
    orderTotal = orderTotal + ( localCart( CARTPPRICE, x ) * localCart( CARTPQUANTITY, x ) )

nWeight = nWeight + ( localCart( CARTPWEIGHT, x ) * localCart( CARTPQUANTITY, x ) )

DIM chId,chProduct,chPrice,chQuantity, subtotal,ChWeight
    chId=(localCart( CARTPID, x) )
    chProduct=Server.HTMLEncode( localCart( CARTPNAME, x ) )
    chPrice=formatCurrency( localCart( CARTPPRICE, x ) )
    chQuantity=localCart( CARTPQUANTITY, x )
    ChWeight=localCart( CARTPWEIGHT, x )
    subtotal = chQuantity * chPrice

Now I presume that once the merchant bank has verified the customerís credit card I need to place the contents of the cart into an orders table. Is it normal for the Orders table to have a structure like the following? If yes then I need some help getting all the session contents into this table.

OrderID
    ProductID
    ProductCode
    ProductName
    ProductWeight
    ProductCost
    Quantity
    SubTotal
    Date

If my idea of how it all works is not the normal way could someone please let me know how it is usually done as this is my first implementation of a shopping cart.
    Finally how and at what point do I create an order number, which references a particular order by a customer?

Many thanks in advance.

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have a table for your orders, and a table for your ordered products.

What if the customer orders two different items? You should enter one distinct order record in your order table, and the multiple ordered products record in the ordered products table. The quantity, price etc should all go in the second table as well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to perform the actual task using the 2 table method.

I think I understand!

So from the code that I have posted up how would I then go about performing the actaul inserting the correct data into the 2 tables as you suggested. Would I first create a record in the orders table, which would then reference products within the orderedItems table? If yes how would I go about doing that?

many thanks in advance