SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Come China can't view my site?

i recently registered gamewacko.com at godaddy and is doing 9.99/month hosting plan at 1&1.com

but after telling a couple of my chinese friends to go on my site who are living in china, they couldn't go on it, it just says page not found, althought you can go on it here in north america and maybe singapore or malaysia.

does anyone know what the problem is?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China blocks some sites, such as Google.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres a response i got from 1&1 if anyone is interested in reading:

Thank you for contacting 1&1

Some people have seen and/or fielded questions to the effect of "Why is my site not visible in China?" to which the proper response is that it is blocked by the state firewall. So this is just meant as a bit more information as to why it is blocked and how a customer would be able to unblock it.

The Great Firewall of China is designed by the Authoritarian Government to protect her citizens from ideas that it considers damaging. Things that will always be blocked are anything about, Falun Gong, and of course disparaging remarks about the Communist party and or the Human Rights record in China.

The biggest question that most people seem to have is how to get their site unblocked. It is true that most people are not doing any of the blockable offenses but the nature of a shared server makes the Chinese official policy censor first ask questions later. The only way we could get our servers unblocked is if we sign an agreement stating we will not disseminate information that is harmful to China. We will not do this so they are pretty stuck if they are on a shared hosting packages. The dedicated packages however with the single ip address could possibly get themselves unblocked if they sign the agreement, along with several other steps that I am not aware of but are nonetheless a part of the process.

And there you have the legend of the great firewall of china.

Thank you & have a nice day!
    it was quick.i love their customer service..replied in an hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this site out: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/test/ (link from this thread: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87656)

The check if a url works in china thingy isn't working at the moment, but some of the info linked on there is pretty interesting
    Rick

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, i didn't know China had google blocked! They are ridiculous..