SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question ASP/JavaScript dependent dropdowns

ok guys, here's my first post... hopefully my question isnt too noobish.

i'm trying to create a dependent dropdown menu based on two objects, packages and steps (the steps dropdown will be dynamically updated/populated when a package is selected). the site uses ASP and since ASP is server-side, i am using JavaScript to handle the client-side "dynamic" change. i've found several snippets of code that create the dependent dropdown; however, the two examples i have use arrays which are statically defined. the data that will populate the dropdowns is coming from a SQL database, and that data will be updated/changed fairly often. my question is this: is there any way to generate the arrays using ASP (outside javascript tags) and use them in the javascript? or is there a way to use javascript to generate the correct arrays and fill them with data from my SQL tables? i have heard that you may use PHP inside javascript tags, but i'm unsure if that is what i want to do.. especially since i am using ASP as the main language for this site. any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this would be better to ask in the ASP forum.

Yes, you could do it with PHP, but you are using ASP.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    posted in the ASP forum. thanks