User Tag List

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Program Investigation Wanted

Hi,

My father operates a home inspection business and uses software to complete reports to give to his clients. Up until just recently everything has been running smoothly, but now when we try to open the program it only goes so far and shuts off without allowing him to do anything. The program was made using FileMakerPro. What makes this suspicious is the fact that we have the program on both his laptop and the desktop computer, both are having the same opening problems at the same time. We think it might be possible the developer of the software has a line of code in the program to make this occur after the first 30 days we purchased the program. The software offers free support for the first 30 days, thereafter I believe it's $99 for 6 months of support.

We are thinking it's possible they may have rigged the program to do this so we call support and have to pay an additional support fee (since it's well past the first 30 days). We simply do not believe anyone should operate a business in this manner and would like if someone could take a peek in the "behind scenes" of the program to see if the developer did, in fact put in a little "quirk."

If someone would be interested in investigating this please let me know. I don't know how much it would cost to have the program looked at but he doesn't have a lot of money to play with right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Conley II
    Last edited by jconley2; Jun 4, 2001 at 05:28.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to see how this turns out...

Maybe you should call support, and if it is a valid problem, then let the charge go through. But if they intentionally put problems in their code to make you call support, then you could tell your CC company to block the charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you explain exactly what it is doing, i use filemaker pro alot, and i may be able to help you with the problem. can you go into a little more detail about exactly what it is doing. also you may want to checkout.. www.fmforums.com its a pretty good filemaker forum, i use it alot when i am stuck on something..
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.