SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Table DB back up with phpMyAdmin?

I am looking to back up my database but only parts or certian tables. I am using phpMyAdmin and have read a number of posts and articles and believe I understand how to back up the database. But I have not read or understand how to backup just certian tables. I would guess it would be the same, I would just select the table instead of the whole database right?

The reason I don't want to back-up the whole thing is I am using an older version of phpAds and want to upgrade to the newest version. My version is so old 1.3 that it is not a simple procedure. I am looking at going with version phpAdsnew 1.92 (any one do this?) and the newer version has a couple new tables, so hence the problem. Plus I am moving to a new host also, so this would be a good time to do it.

Anyways I thought if I could just backup the needed tables from old database (don't need views and clicks, ect.) . Have the new phpAds script create the new database, on the new host, then insert my old tables in the new DB? I have over 600 banners and a good number of clients, so I sure don't want to start from scratch..

Is there an easy ways to do this, or am I on the right track. I don't have telnet access to the MySQL server, so it would have to be with phpMyAdmin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In phpMyAdmin, click on the table in the left frame. And click on structure and data in the dump bit of the page. And click go. This will dump all the data out for you of that table that you clicked on. It will also give you the table structure. So you get the stuff to create the table and everything to put in it once it is created.

Copy all that information, and remember to not copy the heading of that page. Put it in a whatever.sql file. And go to your new database and select that textfile to run.

Done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention that you can put a checkmark in Send, and it will send you a .sql file, so you don't have to worry about getting rid of the Database whatever - table whatever stuff.

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When dumping table data like timnz described, tick the "send" checkbox as well, it will give you a .sql file, so no need to worry about the header part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bet you Robo, even if I did discuss it to you over ICQ.

Think you described it a little clearer than I did though.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies timnz and robo.

Guess the big thing is this makes me nervous, don't need to lose all that data...

So if I don't click send, I will need to copy and paste the results, as it prints to the screen right? The send sounds better. Dumb question, where does it send it to? And does it use the name of the table? like banners.sql. Just wondering about how it will work dumping it in to the new database.

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to mess things up..

Thanks again...

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't tick send, you'll need to copy and paste the stuff.

But don't copy the main heading which is something like:
    Database blah - Table blah

If you click on send, it sends a file to you as a download as tablename.sql

So if you are using IE you'll get that IE download window and you select where you want it to download to.

And don't worry, even though dumping seems like it will dump it and destroy it, dumping is just like copy and paste, it copies the stuff for you, and pastes it to the page or to the .sql file.

As I said, once you have the tablename.sql file, you'll just need to go to your new database and put that in the location of the text file to run and hit go.