SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any opinions on a video card ??

i'm considering getting a video card to add an second monitor, but i was thinking of getting a new one with dual ports and then using my current voodoo card for building my new system.

anyway, i'm just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Matrox Millenium G450 (the32Mb RAM version), or any opinions on Matrox video cards in general.

no need to go into too much detail. a general idea would be great. like "Matrox is horrible, don't buy" or "Matrox is really good. go for it"

thanks much
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Radeon Graphics card is one of the best, or so i'm told. It's defintiely top of the line, anyway.

By the way, ATI makes it, I think.

Good luck in your search for a card!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Radeon. It was really cheap (I got a $150 rebate on it) and it has nice 3d and 2d performance. But the drivers are terrible! Sometimes when I'm moving an IE window quickly, my whole computer will freeze. This never happens on my other monitor (Voodoo3 2000). Also, good luck if you want to have anything other than VGA on other OSes.

If you're only going to use Windows, then a Radeon would be an OK choice.

Matrox is excellent. They are the best you can get if you are working with 2d.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If gaming or 3D rendering aren't your major reason for getting a card the Matrox is a good choice.

If you want a high quality dual monitor gaming card with decent 2D performance I'd reccomend a Geforce MX card though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by nflicanada
    If gaming or 3D rendering aren't your major reason for getting a card the Matrox is a good choice.

If you want a high quality dual monitor gaming card with decent 2D performance I'd reccomend a Geforce MX card though.
    yeah, matrox cards are great for 2D. but for 3D at all i'd go radeon personally. the Radeon VE lacks T&L in hardware, but has great quality _and_ can do dual monitors on a single card. and considering it's only about $100 (online) it's close to the price of a g450 anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: Do matrox cards not handle 3D stuff at all? or is it very poor? i.e. if i want to play Quake1 or Diablo, will they not work at all, or have very poor performance, or is it just 3D intense stuff that won't work well?
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a voodoo3 2000 for my main monitor right now. i got an 8mb sis2360 (i can't remember right now) because i was just being impatient and wanted to have 2 monitors right away. let me tell you what i big mistake that was.
    first of all it took me about an hour longer than it should've to install it. for some reason the driver wasn't getting installed even though it was on the installation cd. then when i finally got it installed, i was very disappointed with the performance. it was running at 4mb (even though it said 8 mb on the box) and i only had 4 resolutions to choose from. forget about matching my main screen. it couldn't even handle 1024x768 even though it's supposed to be able to go higher than that.

so needless to say, i returned it.

i was really considering getting the g450 but i decided not to spend that much for a card right now.
    i also really like my voodoo card, but since they're not around anymore, no stores or shops are carrying it. i finally found a pci voodoo3 3000 for $37.95 us at adamant.com and bought it.
    i'm actually really happy about it for some reason.
    now i only need to get 8 more monitors and 4 of the dual g450's and i'll really be happy.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by atomicmunky
    now i only need to get 8 more monitors and 4 of the dual g450's and i'll really be happy.
    I was watching a news show yesterday on tv (the other picture tube device most are now unfarmiliar with) and they showed an oil trading center and I was blown away, every single trader had 8 flat panel monitors set up in two rows of 4 in a semi-circle! Now if only I had 10,000$ to blow (and the desk space)!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't remember where i saw this but there it was a 3 screen flat panel monitor, and it could've been mine for low low price of $14,999.

i think it was being used for either flight simlution game or actual training or something, but it looked really cool. you're able to adjust the 2 side monitors in that you can turn them inwards so that you have a sort of panoramic effect going for you.

man....i gotta go play the lotto more often
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HumanClay

Question: Do matrox cards not handle 3D stuff at all? or is it very poor? i.e. if i want to play Quake1 or Diablo, will they not work at all, or have very poor performance, or is it just 3D intense stuff that won't work well?
    Matrox cards can handle 3d, but Matrox has aimed them at the corporate user so it does not have a complete OpenGL ICD. So while you can still play games they'll be slower and may have missing textures, etc. when compared to NVIDIA and ATi cards.