User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with CSV upload into database

Hello,

I am trying to develop a web site in which the user can add records to the database from an admininstration section of the site. I'm using an access database (there will only be about 60 or so records at any time). I can create a page that makes the user fill out a form to add a record like the sample below...but I'd also like a place where the user can just upload a CSV file directly into the database. Can someone please help me? I don't know a lot about ASP, but I'm planning on doing it in DMX. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Sample Here

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I can get the upload to work. I really need help with the code to import a csv file into my database. It would overwrite all information.. Anyone?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if ADO has any objects that allow you to directly import a CSV file - anyone?

If not, you'd need to parse the CSV yourself and update the DB using a bunch of INSERTs (this is not too hard).

How is your CSV file laid out? Quotes as delimiters? like...

"field 1","field 2","field3"
    "thing 1","thing 2","thing 3"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is exactly like that.

I have another quick question. Someone told me that if I link my CSV and my database...then I could upload a CSV file with the same name and it will overwrite it each time, thus updating my database. Is that possible?

I really appreciate your help!!