SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE... freezes my comp but i still use it...

i notice a lot of people have problems with IE. my computer always freezes after a long usage of IE...

does opening / closing new windows take up a lot of memory?
    i used memturbo and found that as i opened new windows my memory dropped fairly quickly, but i'm not sure if that's the cause.

i tried other alternatives like opera because it uses a tabbed system, but i just can't seem to get used to its interface. is there anything i can do to fix this IE problem? it happened on ie5, so i upgraded to ie5.5, but it didn't go away so i desperately upgraded to ie6 beta. my computer is still freezing.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be IE, but somehow I don't think it is. Many times I end up with 15-20 IE windows open and performance is hardly diminishes. Also IE never freezes on me.

Are you low on ressources before you open IE to beging with? What does it say in Control Panel>System? Also, how many programs are you running in the background?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh...
    forgot the details.....

my comp has 128 mb ram, 500mhz pentium 3 processor
    its a laptop btw..

i usually run icq and msn messanger, but IE still freezes if i close them

as for background programs i only have mcafee activeshield, and a bunch of small programs for my touchpad and video.

i can't really see any other solution other than switching to opera..... but i really can't get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's weird, I can't think of anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try installing Internet Explorer Error Reporting form www.windowsupdate.com?

Internet Explorer Error Reporting
    215 KB/ Download Time: < 1 min

Download and use the Internet Explorer Error Reporting, and contribute to the development of Internet Explorer browser technology. With Error Reporting installed, if a critical error occurs, you will see a dialog box that gives you the opportunity to report the problem to Microsoft. If an update or workaround is available for the error you have reported, you are directed to the appropriate Web site to download the update or view instructions for the workaround.