Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my post never showed so here it is again

I use a number of sites as feeders for my main site, for example

www.talkfarscape.com
    www.talkstargate.com

all go to www.ascifi.com aftre you register. They are really useful for people to link to.

However, i want to expand them and have some better tracking on them. The problem is if i set a cookie on talkfarscape i can't ever read it again on ascifi.com which is usless.

So my thought was to actually have the page come from ascifi.com in the first page. This could easily be done by using frames but this is an ugly solution. I am wondering if there is a better one using one of the include a file in output type thing. Where would the cookie be set. Then i would just a link in talkstargate.com that pulls content from www.ascifi.com/front.php?source=talkstargate for example.

Any ideas? or is there a way to make the cookie work across more than one domain easily.

p.s. i don't want to use sessions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THe only way to get a cookie to cross domains is to use a one off sessionID link - stick it on any links that will take you to an external domain e.g a page on talkfarscape.com that links to talkstargate.com would look like this:

http://www.talkstargate.com/?transfer=034950948594859

With that number being replaced with whatever your cookie is. Then the first thing talkstargate.com does when it sees that is bungs it in a cookie.

Not at all ideal, but it's the only way to do it.