SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53
  1. #26
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geee...thats intelligent - resorting to name calling when you can't argue a point...
    I guess you want to be part of the problem and not part of the solution.

    If you are unhappy with the service from DMOZ ask for a refund.

  2. #27
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp
    If you are unhappy with the service from DMOZ ask for a refund.
    Or just don't submit.

    Or hey, become part of the solution: apply to be an editor. Do a better job than the rest of them.

  3. #28
    SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who approve's editor applications?

  4. #29
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior editors.

  5. #30
    SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geee...thats intelligent
    I guess you want to be part of the problem and not part of the solution.

    If you are unhappy with the service from DMOZ ask for a refund.
    I think most people will find everything i said in my other post to be correct, so if your saying that is unintelligent then you are wrong. Then again if you mean i came across unintelligent by the way my other post was written then that is because i was blunt.

  6. #31
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a better job than the rest of them.
    They can't do that, as they get more out of trash talking to do anything constructive...

  7. #32
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then again if you mean i came across unintelligent by the way my other post was written then that is because i was blunt
    Since when has name calling been intelligent?

  8. #33
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp
    1. DMOZ is not a search engine, so why search at it? You search for sites at search engines. Directories are for browsing.
    Clarification: these comments are not from the minds of the editor but cut and pasted from the collection of answers given by DMOZ to the editors.
    If a directory is for browsing but noone uses it then what is the purpose behind it?
    One giant doorway page/FFA link farm which DMOZ has become.
    The categories and its' contents are equally useless and the fast majority of editors are lazy, self serving and NOT adding sites on their own. It is no better than lying trying to convince people that the original purpose of DMOZ is even anywhere close to being a reality.
    The poor results of listings hurt Google.
    Noone takes DMOZ serious, respects it or even cares about it other than having it help their SERPs.
    Mike

  9. #34
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fast majority of editors are lazy
    I should add to my list of what editor spend time doing "In forums correcting facts".

    How can a volunteer at anything be lazy?
    If I volunteer at a soup kitchen one day a month, am I being lazy if I do not do 2 days?
    If a volunteer editor adds one site a week, why are they considered lazy for not adding 2. They have added value to the project. What is wrong with that?
    If a directory is for browsing but noone uses it then what is the purpose behind it?
    And ypou base this on what? Do you know how many unique visitors DMOZ gets?

  10. #35
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About blaming webmsters: it would be wiser for you to act where you have some control:
    The 80% of editors which do not do their job right. You are doing quite the opposite by trying to cover up what is really going on. You are not helping anyone by lying or making excuses for the poor quality of commitment and the corruption dominant within DMOZ.
    Like I said, if Google didn't use DMOZ, noone would care, but DMOZ gives an unfair advantage to those who have friends as editors. You yourself making things even worse by not allowing a light to shine thru and pretending everything over there is well.

  11. #36
    SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when has name calling been intelligent?
    Sorry, lets just say the most editors are either crooked, idle, absent or arrogant...

  12. #37
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please provide evidence of the corruption. Continuing to state corruption exists does not make the statement correct.

  13. #38
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets just say the most editors are either crooked, idle, absent or arrogant...
    So in other words you can't raise yourself above name calling. Please provide evidence of the corruption.

  14. #39
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the forum where most of the name calling occurs is DMOZ's resource zone and the name calling is done by the editors and moderators. Another reality check that you need.
    Look in the mirror, cbp before you look outside of your own house!
    Enough said, DMOZ is worthless and Google is the ones that need the wakeup call.

  15. #40
    SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The categories are maintained by the very people who have an interest in that category most if not all editors are owning a site or two within that category, come on please don't say that every editor is an angel

  16. #41
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats not corruption - thats within the guidelines. There are procedures in place for dealing with it. Most editors do not have sites in the categories they edit (why do people keep stating factual errors?). I edit >50 catgeoies. I have sites in 2 that is declared on my internal profile for any editor to see.

    I have asked repeatedly in many forums many times for the trash talkers to come up with evidence of the corruption - I have never seen anyone come up with. You have not come up with any, yet claim its rampant at DMOZ .... don't figure

  17. #42
    SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of an editor who would have been happy to take a bribe to approve a listing however he could not help the person who asked as he had not control of the category...

    Dmoz does do paid inclusion believe it or not

  18. #43
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,478
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of an editor who would have been happy to take a bribe to approve a listing however he could not help the person who asked as he had not control of the category...
    ...in that case become part of the solution. Provide the evidence, file an abuse report. (or PM the info and I will follow it up) ---- DMOZ does treat this seriously and will be dealt with.

  19. #44
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The true hard evidence is being covered up within DMOZ.
    You cbp are one of the best but you coming here trying to make us believe that you are the norm is lying to the rest of the internet community.
    There have been countless people bribed including skentra, one of the lead editors.
    For you to come here and pretend everything is well, is completely wrong.
    You are only enabling those within your organization to keep on benefitting while violating the guidelines.
    it is one thing to be a good example but when you then make excuses and cover up for the bad apples, the good example you are setting makes all your efforts worthless.

  20. #45
    SitePoint Addict photoshopfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp
    ...in that case become part of the solution. Provide the evidence, file an abuse report. (or PM the info and I will follow it up) ---- DMOZ does treat this seriously and will be dealt with.
    I think i'll pass, i don't work there that's Dmoz's responsibility to ensure editors are fair not mine....

  21. #46
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly! It's time for DMOZ to take responsibility and stop whining. Like I said, noone is interested in DMOZ other than getting their sites listed.
    What a great work of art the ODP has become

  22. #47
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nzgfxguru
    DMOZ or the ODP, is being human edited a good thing?
    To answer the original question, being human edited can be a good thing but it depends on the humans ...

    and in DMOZ's case the answer is no.

  23. #48
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dmoz is completely unnecessary. Wikipedia on the other hand is very good. Not as backlink, but in terms of overall content.

  24. #49
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteTutorcom
    noone is interested in DMOZ other than getting their sites listed.
    I personally use DMOZ for all the technical/scientific research I do.

    Every half competitive keyword will call up many trashy sites in search engines while browsing through an appropriate category in ODP will give you some of the best ones - providing that the cat has an active editor of course.

    Those people who do not use DMOZ either have not realized its value yet or are just so busy trashing it that they have no time to look around. If DMOZ has no value, what are you doing in this thread discussing it?

    Seriously, next time you need to research a focused topic, find the appropriate category in ODP. You might be surprized.

  25. #50
    SitePoint Zealot SiteTutorcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you that many non commercial categories have great results provided by editors who are experts in their field. The problems come in when you go into commercial subjects and the corruption taints the value of results. That is something that should not occur the way it does. The concept of the ODP is great and so is the initial intention behind it. However there needs to be some cleanup in order to lose the image of a Google-doorway.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •