SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments on Design?

Any comments on the redesign of my site?

http://www.cheatman.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't compare it to the old design, as I never saw it

But - it seems to navigate okay - I certainly found my way to the DC Ready-2-Rumble cheats okay!
    I think the menu text is a little bit small (although I am running a 1280x1024 res on a 19" Monitor - so most text is a strain!).
    Other than that, all the black makes it feel a little heavy and I was wondering why you have the site title twice???

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok.........

I browse with my window sized to 1024x768, and when your site loaded, it looked fine, but as soon as I switched to full screen, the layout went to pot.....here's a screen shot to show you want I'm on about. Easier that way.

I felt maybe that your links are a little dark, but then it could be the way I have my monitor set up.

Other than that, I can't find much to comment on. There's a hell of a lot of info there and it's easy to navigate around.

Oh, and I just looked at your contact page. The form layout looks a bit screwy to me. You have the text all nicely aligned, but the actual boxes aren't. Personal thing here, I know, but I just happen to think forms look better if the form fields are aligned too.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a graphical tip- Since you make all your headlines as graphics and not as text, why not use anti-alias? It should be a lot nicer to the eye, and it's the first thing that caught me when I went into your site.
    narcoleptic//
    sleepyhead on duty

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My review :)

Hi there,
    I think you have been very busy! Where do you find the time to make all those sites?!?
    If you have any secrets can you let me kow ? *hehe*

Review:

Layout - I don't think much of the popup. Why have a non popup version, as well as a popup version. It seems like to many options. I think that it would look better of you just put it in a browser, like normal, and have Information opening in popups, that would be better. The popup is so small, that you could fit it all in the main page anyway

Color - Black is a pretty cool color, but i recon that you need to brighten it up a bit, and yes, the linkpanel is too small. I have a 800x600 and I was squinting. The background pic is pretty cool, and the color of the text is also easy to read.

I think you need some more description. Links ton't cut it. If someone that didn't know what your site was about loaded it up, they would prolly just hit the back button.

All in all, the site is cool and yes there is a lot of info and you onviously know what you're doing.

Well done,

Cheers,

MrLeN

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, the site looks kinda disjointed when viewed on my screen of 1280x960.

Also, I agree with the previous post that your site will look very much better with anti-aliased text headings instead.
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

SitePoint Zealot strangealienmagic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm at 1024 x 768 on a 19" monitor (IE 5.0, 16 bit color) and I didn't notice any of the earlier noted problems with the layout changing at full screen. It looked fine.

There are some varriations in the color of the blue frame. The left column is fine, but accross the top there are two other shades of blue. One is the bg of the Cheatman Network logo, but there is a third blue on both sides of that.

There is a lot of information on your site that is easy to navigate, which is great, becasue gamers tend to be an impatient group I think the relatively simple design is a good way to go, since it loads fast and isn't cluttered.

I did find some funky things going on with the News link, which seemed to reload the entire page within the first - meaning there was now a blue frame within a blue frame. It didn't multiply itself beyond that though, even when the News link in the second frame was clicked. Also, the Submit News link produced a 404.

I like the white heading backgrounds, but I agree with the earlier advice to anti-alias the text, which will make it flow nicely.

When I was looking around I noticed that on the Playstation pages (Playstation > F) your copyright is in the upper right of the page, but on the Dreamcast and Playstation 2 pages it's at the bottom. I would think bottom is where you intend it to be.

I first though you were using the Cheatman Network Logo in the left corner as a link to the home page, but then it looked like it linked to the section headings, but if you go to Dreamcast and click the logo it takes you to an index of Dreamcast codes on a white bg. You might just want to take another look at those links.

Since you're using that corner logo as a link, after the main page why not move the section headings up into the blue accross the top? Or you could move the banner up there, although I'm not a fan of banners accross the page top, and stats I've read say you're much more likely to get click-thrus if a banner is at midpage or even the bottom.

Hope that helps some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too dark in my opinion, also try improving the logo, not just white text, try to add some symbol to it, it comes out nice - usually...

besides that... hmm.. resolution could be a problem....
    for the ones with major monitors...

Good luck
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In NS 4.6 the only thing that displays is your background. Run it through a validator like http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ and look for orphaned table tags. That is likely the cause. (NS is very picky about this.)

You should specify height as well as width for your images. Also, use "alt" tags. Search engines can't index text in graphics.

I don't like the way the mouseovers in the nav bar made some of the text jump around. Use the full width of that column so text doesn't go to two lines when bolded for the mouseovers.

Add a "gutter" column so that the "network" nav button isn't bumping up against the "Cheatman Network ReLaunch" text, for example. (800x600)

On the "hosted sites" page the drop-down menus aren't displaying properly in IE 4.0. This page has an entirely different "look & feel" from the home page.

On the "free hosting" page, move "if no" up to immediately follow "do you own your own domain."

On the Playstation page the purple for "cheat codes" and "submit codes" is too dark on black and clashes with the other blues. Also "submit codes" didn't work. The copyright text at the bottom of this page is black on black and didn't show up til I did a select all.

I ended up on the "Judge Dredd" page and the link to home from there didn't work for me.

If I were a gamer looking for this type of info, I'd be in seventh heaven! You have so much info here that I'd really want a downloadable version of the cheat codes for each platform so I didn't have to spend hours copying and pasting. Just a thought.

Good luck with it!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to harp on what others have said, but there were some good suggestions mentioned. Also, I'm not real fond of the "::::" trend going around the Internet. It's becoming a cliche and seriously overdone. It makes the text harder to read, and especially on your site, where the text is so small, that could be a problem. The four images (a compass I guess) on the home page looked out of place. Maybe have different pictures instead of four exactly the same.

It's looking good, I'd give it a out of 5. Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your redo of the redo! The colors work better, and the logo is much improved. It looks, well, gamier...

I would consider taking beley's advice and either ditch the "::::" or putting those in a slightly darker yellow, to give more emphasis to the heading itself.

Submit News is still a 404.

Also, when you go to Dreamcast and then select a letter, the copyright symbol (although not the entire copyright blurb) still appears to the right, in line with the alphabet instead of the bottom of the page.

All those things are pretty minor though, and overall I think you're doing a great job!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the design nice enough, but your text links could be a lot easier to read i.e. larger font. Also, if I had to describe your site in one word it would be "dark." I would lighten the colors up a bit, but of course that is purely personal preference. Overall pretty nice.
    Deborah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally pretty good - i think the colours suit the subject of the site - dark and moody I guess for people who need to cheat at stuff rather than learning to do it properly! It's like people who criticise programmers who code by hand in Notepad (like me!) rather than spending a load of money on FP2000 which ... hang on gone off the track a little...

UM... the news bit in the middle was disjointed - i.e. the headline, as it were, wasn't close enough to the date bit, e.g. I read at the top "The Cheatman network is now open" and then a couple of lines later, "The Cheatman network is opening soon" and got really confused cos I couldn't find a date straight underneath it.

Hmm. The colours are good and work well even though I would make the background colour of the logo match the center body text - it would just place more emphasis on the left and right sections.

I AM NOT a fan of your banners. They move to quick and are disjointed. And I have to ask. On the MyWebMasterBase banner, did you mean to write:

MyWembasterBase, home of Wembasters and BTW clicking it takes me to and index page of the site.Ooops. Good structure though!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Enthusiast HardwareQA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Here are a few things you might want to change:

• Make the colors lighter (If you're making a gaming site it should look more fun)
    • When you go to a section (dreamcast for example) there is a banner that tells you the section name. You might want to get rid of banner to decrease load time or if you want to keep it I would advise you to anti alias the fonts
    • In some cases (http://www.cheatman.net/dc/codes/bh.shtml) text is too close to the left frame, you might want to change cellspacing
    • I would also change fonts to Verdana or Arial

Btw, I see that you are using server side includes and it's a great idea. But since your site is essentially a huge database I would switch to ColdFusion or ASP. I know it's a pain in the butt to switch, but it'll pay off, because updates will be a lot easier.
    "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    -Benjamin Disraeli

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested Improvements

Cheatman, I like your site, it sort of reminds me of foxnews.com. I think you could improve the site by adding a rollover effect to your sidebar menu. You could turn the background color to yellow when the cursor is on top of a link. (The menu item of the current section should be a different color than blue.) Also I think the title of each section could be done better. I didn't see a title on the news section. Lastly, you need to add some meta tags.
    Last edited by rgremill; Jun 13, 2001 at 05:49.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of site

I liked your site , it was easy to navigate and fast to load.
    I viewed it at 1024x768 and it was fine. All links worked and had no problems.
    The colour scheme was a little dark but hey they a mean and moody lot those gamers
    Good job

Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... Hmmm.... I had looked at your site in IE 5.0 before, and everything was fine. I happened to have NN 4.08 open, checking my own site, and when I loaded yours... nothing came up in the browser window but blue.

It loaded, because I can see the source code, but nothing other than a nice even blue appears in the NN browser window.

I tried Yahoo and a few others then, just to make sure it wasn't my browser, but they all loaded just fine.

I checked again in IE5 and it's lookin' good. So, apparently you have a Netscape glitch going on somewhere. Why do I think it could be a table tag somewhere?

Oh well, thought you should know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... for starters I sent your link to a friend of mine interested in your topic...thought you'd be interested in that part of it, as the content is good. Design-wise your site is dark to distraction. And I understand the effect you going for, and like the tiled blue links, but by using dark blue on dark blue, you loose the very interest you are trying to generate. You need another muted color in your site.... your logo has a strange way of popping up. The previous idea of anti alias is a good one. but back to your logo... it doesnt seem to be part of your site, rather an afterthought, and detracts from the flow of your site as it loads. You know your site is working when your visitor becomes immersed straight away with your content and ambience of such, rather than spending time watching it go to work..... nice in many ways, tho.