SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Designer Who Wants to Be A Coder...

I am a graphic designer. I have very little coding knowledge, and when I say, "little", I mean little. (with the exceptions of XHTML and CSS)

Because my realm of work basically resides in the visual aspect of things. How do I go about retraining my brain to recieve the chore of learning php. Not only that but learn at a good pace. Because I get tons of ideas for applications that will help me do things better on web projects and I can never bring them to light because my patience with code is probably about 10 minutes. In my current line of work, gratification is instant. But with coding, it is not so from what I have found.

So again, what approach should I take? Should I just sit in my dorm and do nothing but learn how to code php for the next year or so? lol. I'm lost here, somebody please help me.

Thanks in advance...
    Keep it Symple!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're posting In a site which already offers many ways of training PHP and MySQL

Just start reading tutorials, books, documentations, it may take a month or two to figure everything out but after that you will be able to handle some advanced scripting methods and etc.

Just don't lose your time.
    Good Luck :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very often the things you want to do are already covered by a php class (http://phpclasses.org) or another free script (http://hotscripts.com).

I started learning php by modifying other people's scripts and after some time I read some books to get the complete picture. If you're interested in object oriented coding (good if you want to reuse code at a later point for another purpose), I can recommend sitepoint's PHP Anthology written by Harry Fuecks. It takes an object oriented approach and also presents many helpers such as the pear library.
    So again, what approach should I take? Should I just sit in my dorm and do nothing but learn how to code php for the next year or so?
    My approach was/is always learning by doing - learn some new functions and techniques and then immediately use them for the things I want to do. I don't like wasting time for coding examples that are just for the sake of showing how something can be accomplished.

But I guess that's an individual choice...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your replies...I appreciate it tons!!

-Arik
    Keep it Symple!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the best way to learn PHP was to start coding your projects, I could never sit down and learn the basics from a book. I started by coding simple projects using other peoples scripts, PHP.net & a number of books as references.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to know nothing about coding

I am a designer, who started coding a couple years ago. I started by sticking with Dreamweaver because it is close to designing with a graphical program. I also purchased a book that helped a great deal, because it helped me break into PHP using the tools that came with Dreamweaver.
    The book used to be published by Glasshaus, but now is with someone else and remains the same:
    Dreamweaver MX: PHP Web Development
    by Bruno Mairlot, Gareth Downes-Powell, Tim Green
    At Amazon

This book will allow you to learn from a designer view and will not lose your interest as you go. You will find that you can't stop.
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i started touching php ard 2.5 years ago.

i started with reading a book.
    but i didnt get involved deep enough to be able to start my own project.
    not until last year, where i started on my project.

now, i am on my second project.
    and it is true that, learning by doing is the best way to learn ( of coz background knowledge play a big part too )

i think that my php knowledge has skyrocketed since last year where i started on my frst project.
    in fact, my second project is a better version of my first project, bigger, more sophisticated.

and also, SP is very helpful if you have any doubts.