SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DoS attack on GRC.COM

If you haven't read it already read the write up on the DoS attack against GRC.COM

You can find it at http://grc.com

I found this very interesting and the thought of what will happen with WinXP really worries me. This could become a serious problem and the ISP I help sometimes (http://www.mylinuxisp.com) is already gearing up for possible DoS attacks. I just don't understand the thrill of causing problems on someone's network...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article was an interesting read, for sure. But I think that Steve Gibson (the main person behind grc.com) sort of exaggerates the problems that will occur. He's paranoid, that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He comes across as paranoid, but there's no doubting he's an incredibly clever man. I read through the DoS attack article and it makes fascinating reading, and if you keep exploring the site he has a superb explanation of how internet routing worked which explains it in very simple (but not at all condescending) terms. The rest of his site has interesting stuff on it as well, and his windows applications written assembler are incredible - the sub-pixel font rending application (weighing in at 35 KB) is especially impressive if you have a laptop with an LCD display.

Steve Gibson is a bit like Jacob Neilsen in that you love him or you hate him - but you can't fault his enthusiasm for technology. If you look past the slightly over-the-top paranoid outbursts he has some very worthwhile points to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Skunk
    Steve Gibson is a bit like Jacob Neilsen in that you love him or you hate him - but you can't fault his enthusiasm for technology. If you look past the slightly over-the-top paranoid outbursts he has some very worthwhile points to make.
    Good analogy made there. But unlike Neilsen ( ), he is making software to help and protect you and he doesn't force you to do anything. On the other hand, you have Neilsen who is always criticizing everyone's web site when his is utterly bland, boring, and banal to view.
    Last edited by mjames; Jun 3, 2001 at 10:53.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that some of his comments are a little over paranoid but he does a good job of describing the problems and the ways he solved them. He does a great job of using adjectives

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The funniest thing about this article is that the kid who carried out those attacks did this because he had heard from a bunch of friends that Steve Gibson had somehow referred to him as a 'script-kiddie'. By using a hex-edited version of a trojan another hacker had made for the attack on grc.com, he proved that he was indeed just a script-kiddie.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one... or could you not stop reading that entire thing? He's a smart guy alright... and tells a good story.

I'd have to agree, he sounds a tad paranoid... but I honestly haven't seen or heard a fraction of the things he has. He's been monitoring these things, and according to that story, he's hacked into the hackers and heard everything they've been saying.

So, if I knew half the stuff he does, I might come across as paranoid too.

And being as smart as he is... I'd tend to believe what he has to say. I mean... how many people can read up on IRC for the first time, and then make bots go in that do what his did??

All I can say is... I'm glad he's one of the good guys. I can only imagine what kind of damage someone could do if they could do what he does!

But back to the intrigue of his story... it was like watching the movie "Hackers" or that tv show "Level 9" all over again.
    That's some cool stuff

Stuart Duncan
    www.Logiforms.com
    stu@logiforms.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read the article.

We decided to put a link to the article on our security fix site.

I just read it myself and I must say I'm impressed. I had to read the entire thing. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting article

I don't think that Steve Gibson is at all paranoid, he's just a professional, being very meticulous in his approach. He has a passion for his chosen subject, which he conveys eloquently.

It's a bit like, those of you that are graphics guys might spot a pixel or two that are the wrong colour or HTML coders may find the odd redundant tag, to most of us these small errors are insignificant, to the *expert* they are unacceptable.

We need people to be pedantic about *their* subject, in order to raise the standards of others.
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DCE - Too right....

It's people like Steve Gibson remind me how much there is still to learn in the world. And a few people on SitePoint too

We need people like that.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought tha article was excellent. I personally would have nailed the hacker to the wall, but that's just me.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed his article as well.
    Paranoid?? Nope

He's a VERY smart guy, and I am amazed how he turned a malicious attack into an educational tour!