SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Can I Create Layers That Work Under All Resolutions In Dreamweaver?

I had never created web pages using layers since I was using Frontpage before. Now I'd like to start creating web pages with layers in Dreamweaver 4. When using tables, I'd create a table with a fixed width and center the table, so that it would look good in all resolutions. What is the trick for creating the same effect with layers? Layers are floating in the wrong place when I check the page at 800x600 and 1024x768. Any tutorials or help will be greatly appreciated!

Note: You may have heard a similar question before. I did a search for layers and dreamweaver but I couldn't find the information I wanted, so I'm asking it again.
    pff | I am not what I am

'Does he exist in the same way as I exist?'
    'You do not exist Winston,' said O'Brien.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean you want all elements to float neatly at the center?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is: How can I place the layers so that their position won't change when the resolutions changes? Is the only way for this putting them in a table?
    pff | I am not what I am

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver should have used absolute positioning. The thing is, when you absolutely position a <div>, it will always be in a fixed location in relation to its parent.

For instance, say you have one <div> which is the direct children of your <body>, (I hope you are following this), and then you absolutely position it at, say, left:50px, top:100px, then it will always be 50px away horizontally and 100px away vertically from the top left corner of your <body>.

You could, for instance, put another <div> into the one above, and then say you position it at left:50px, top:100px. Then this <div> will be 50px away horizontally and 100px away vertically from the top left corner of your first <div>, and 100px away horizontally and 200px away vertically from the top left corner of your <body>. Following so far?

Unless there are percentages involved in the positioning, nothing should change with resolution.
    Last edited by duckie; Jun 2, 2001 at 08:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm having the SAME PROBLEM!, please check my post precedent!

Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to be rude but if you want to have high-end websites then you need to put effort into learning how to code them yourself. At the very least you should have a solid understanding of how CSS works. If you knew how stylesheets positioned things then you would not even have to ask these questions.

Now, to answer your question, I will give you a few links to read through. If you are looking for high-end CSS layout then I suggest you read them from start to finish.

A List Apart Redesign

and

The Noodle Incident Box Lesson

and

The The Layout Reservoir
    Last edited by creole; Jun 5, 2001 at 11:57.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, thanks. Your links are very useful.
    To have high-end websites then you need to put effort into learning how to code them yourself. At the very least you should have a solid understanding of how CSS works. If you knew how stylesheets positioned things then you would not even have to ask these questions.
    I'm doing web design just as a hobby and i'm in the stage of learning. Yes, if I knew CSS I wouldn't have asked it. I think asking questions is a part of putting effort in it. Sure, I could have tried more and maybe solved the problem by myself. But that's just me. There's a saying in our culture:
    "Not knowing isn't shameful, not learning is shameful." (I know direct translation sux)

Thanks
    pff | I am not what I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey pff...

remember that I said I wasn't trying to be rude. I also wasn't trying to say you weren't learning or that you should try to do it all yourself. If I wasn;t a helpful person I wouldn't have over 2200 posts to my name.

I just wanted to make a statement to the people out there that try to have this hugely complex structure and site without putting some sweat into it. You are doing just fine by asking questions. I hope that you didn't think I was implying that you were trying to get a free ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

With DW, I think that once you lay out the page in layers, you can go to Modify/Layout Mode/Convert Layers to Table...
    Gary Reynolds
    -- My Frac Art --

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes you can convert layers to tables but the fact is that we're (i'm) using layers to put some text over some images, as a layer. But when i try to convert, they say that the layers shouldn't overlap !, what's the point of using layers then ?, stupid........

Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, the point is that when you try to do something that is incorrect the program is telling you that it is incorrect. You really need to learn html. You could do all of that very easily with tables.

Besides, why are you converting it to tables anyway? One of the points of using a LAYER is so that you don't need tables. Just change the z-index like I mentioned in another post and leave it in layers.