SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yet another CSS / IE question

I've just revamped a blog, using a three column fluid CSS layout. As per usual, all is well except under IE6 on any Windows OS (I checked via Browser Cam).

I know the problem is with IE being buggy, and I sort of understand the workarounds but I'm not clear exactly what I ought to be doing. I seem to make things worse if I try to add in the workarounds...could someone look at the CSS and tell me where I should be putting what fix? I did have the fix in before, with a layout from glish, but the third column would never vertically align correctly under any browser (hence the revamp).

CSS file: http://www.halliday47.freeserve.co.u.../mj3books2.css

The top image banner also needs centering, but that I can do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Hmmm...

I'm not completely sure but when I was looking through my Eric Meyers CSS Book I found that IE sometimes ignores height and width when it is displayed properly in Mozilla or something like that. (I am in the school library so I am not completely sure but I am sure that it is the correct code). I am not completely sure but you can try if you want this little script. Add

voice-family: "\"}\"";
    voice-family:inherit;

No it is not a mistake when I put inherit right on the :. You add that to the content div at the bottom. Hope this helps!
    HTMLGuy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! That solves it on all except the combined horrors of Windows, IE and a screen resolution of 800 x 600. I'll put a disclaimer on it for now and suggest people use Firefox!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that wouldn't be such a smart idea, Internet Explorer is used by the most of the surfing people.

As you can see here!

Keep looking for a solution

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant
    I guess that wouldn't be such a smart idea, Internet Explorer is used by the most of the surfing people.

As you can see here!

Keep looking for a solution
    Yes, but it's a specific combination of IE, the OS and the screen res - on bigger resolutions, or if Explorer is being used on non-microsoft OSs, it looks fine. As well as specifying the combination under which it is misbehaving, I've offered any users who have that a potential (and free) solution.

I'll keep trying to fix it, but now I have to get back to some RL work for a week or two!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More browser stats - these paint a little different picture...

More Browser Stats

Firefox is catching on faster, although, still the minority.