SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First site - Please review

Hi,
    This is the first complete site I have done and I will like to improve it as much as possible. All comments will be appreciated.

http://www.kingsmannews.com

Thanks,
    J.P.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Jeremy,

Very clean, very usable, good work!

================================================
    Speed : cable
    Browser : Mozilla 0.9
    Resolution : 1024x768
    CPU : AMD K6-2 350
    ================================================

For a first 'complete' site effort, this is very, very good work. A couple of pointers to help you improve on it :

1. If you can, work on integrating the Atomz engine into the current site layout you have. It gives even more consistency to the site.

2. I notice in some of the articles you've broken up the text with bold sub-headings. Do that for every single article you put on the site so that it makes it easier for your readers. Some photos of the editors or graphics will also help to break it up and give it more visual imagery. At the moment while the site is very good, unfortunately it's feeling a little dull and it's mostly text - it probably needs a photo or two to really balance it out.

3. I notice that when you click on an article in a certain 'category', that 'category' goes up to the top in the left nav bar - while I understand the rationale behind it, users will get a little bit confused by the changes. Keep it consistent and keep the sections to one spot all throughout the site.

Apart from that, for a first complete effort, this is very solid work. 4/5 Well done!
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good site

Good work for a first site. I like the colors (are they the school colors) and the layout has a newspaper feel. The logo is very old fashioned, but I suspect you have no say here. The only advice I could give you is (A) it is a little inappropriate to note your design efforts at the bottom; maybe just put “Webmaster” linked to your e-mail. (B) Read some articles on search engine optimization; start off at http://www.searchenginewatch.com.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site, and agree with BC about the layout and pics. However, the only other beef I have is with the color scheme. It doesn't look bad, but it just seems like there are too many colors, or variations of colors. The header containing the date is one shade of purple, then you have red and yellow in the search bar, black and red in the logo. Your links have two shades of blue, your article titles are another shade of purple, and when you rollover the blue links, its red. Oh, and there's khaki in the navigation on the left.

Possibly make all the "purple" selections the exact same shade. Then, on the links - make them purple, with a red "clicked" state (if you decide to use red). And maybe make the khaki purple.

They're just suggestions but I do think the color scheme is a little off. Since they're all subtle colors (except the red which is hardly used) it's hard to notice right off.

Good job overall! I'd give it out of 5!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you used a nice triditional layout that is clean and basic. But like the others have said, it lacks the visuals that could take this basic layout to a higher level. Usaually the logo would be the pivotal point for the graphical theme. If the logo was provided, you can't do much. If you created that logo for this schools online identity, I would re-think how you could make it flow better with your current design.

3/5

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ... just my opinion.

i think it's better to put that search box at right.
    just my opinion .. because when people come to your site they read from left to right ... so if they found your serch box first .. they will think ... what is this for ?

so if you put it on the right (after the kingsman online banner) so people will know what is your site first .. and then found your search box .. so they will think .. oh maybe i can try to search out some info here .. bla bla bla

naa! it's just my opinion ... afterall i don't put any search engine at my site ..

i give your site 9 out of 10. i really like it. i'm just newbies .. so if i found something new i'll like it ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may just be personal opinion, but I personally don't like links that change decoration when hovered (e.g., underline, then none) as you have. I think it would look better if you kept the underline on hover. But other than that, very nice site
    As everyone's rating it, I may aswell... 8 outa 10.

- Will

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site, nice layout, i'd give it a 5/5. You get extra points for designing the website for a college in my borough!

seriously though, you did real good here.

-ld

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your comments. I took note of all you had to say and I will definitely make some adjustments.

In reference to the colors, well... they are not exactly the school colors. The purple is the only color pertaining to the school. At first I tried to blend into the scheme of the school site, http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/. However I settled for the current look because the yellow/gold color was too loud.

Thanks again for all your help..
    J.P.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a first effort, you're off to a really great start!

Anyway, I noticed that you are using a fixed table width of 650. While this looks good at 800x600 (I like to see a bit of "breathing room" around things), it's probably going to look like there's way too much space on the sides at a higher resolution. And it's not going to work at 640x480.

I'd suggest using percentage widths on your tables so that they scale according to the visitor's resolution and monitor size.

The grey bar on the right ends abruptly before the column on the left.

In your links, there's an extra underscore to the left of "sports". (I know that's really nit-picky, but I noticed it.)

Like BC mentioned, you could use a little more graphic interest in the form of pictures of the writers and subjects. It would really add some spice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK -- if my first site looked like that I would have been well pleased. But it didn't. Good work.

The first thing I though was The Times online (thetimes.co.uk)...

But...

The nav. on the left is excellent, good colours and the mousover I think work well. That said, the grey is ugly, esepcially the big thick bar at the right - I would consider changing this or doing something with it.

The other thing I'd say is that things tend to jump around which is not easy on the eye. Try to ling everything up and keep a common pattern going.

And lastly - have you written all this in HTML? If yes, you really should look to getting a scripting language otherwise it is going to be a real pain to keep updating it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of site

Well done Jeremy, a really functional site.
    I used IE5 and 1024x768 and had no probs.
    All navigation worked fine and u had some interesting subjects.Maybe site is just a little bland but i might be nitpicking.

Russ

8 outta 10