SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Column Layout ... Why Bother

Hello,

I have posted several times over the last week or so trying to learn the 3 column layout and actually have done allright. Got everything to look good in IE and Firefox.

Then I fix a computer with Windows 2000 and bam, my site screws up on IE 5. Now you may say well there is a hack, I have been reading and reading and I have to be honest with amount of hacks that have to be done is it really a better way to go then HTML tables?

The site I am working on: http://basefront.no-ip.com/spence/ has one side that just drops below everything and it is an IE5 problem. But I look at all my other sites and nothing is wrong with any of them HTML tables.

Is it really worth doing CSS layouts untill everybody gets thier ducks in a row?

Thanks

Frustrated Mike

Winemaster bronze trophy BonRouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from W3Schools :
    Code:
    2005  	IE 6  	IE 5  	O 7/8  	Ffox  	Moz  	NN 4  	NN 7
    March 	64.0% 	3.9% 	1.8% 	21.5% 	3.7% 	0.2% 	1.0%
    (I know this isn't code, but the alignment gets screwed up if I call it a quote).

The percentage of people who actually use IE5 is very low and is decreasing every month because it's obsolete. IE6 is pretty bad, but you can (as you know) do things to work around its shortcomings. The standards are there to encourage cross-browser compatibility. They are forward-looking and good for the future. Build good sites now that are designed to the standards and you'll have a good site for a long time to come, which should display well on any new browsers which may possibly appear (if they support the standards).

And... read the article in the link in my sig... (it's pretty good).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Man, You made me feel better and boy is FF jumping up!

Mike

Winemaster bronze trophy BonRouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The figures might be slightly misleading to be honest... W3Schools say this about them :
    Statistics Are Often Misleading

You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, other sites attract hobbyists using older low spec computers.

Also be aware that many stats may have an incomplete or faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many web stats report programs, not to detect new browsers like Opera and Netscape 6 or 7 from the web log.

(The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures)
    I was looking at the figures for my personal site (in my sig) and the number I have for Firefox is 52%. Of course, the reason for this is that the only people who view it (only about 600 a month at the moment) are people who use forums like this one - web developers.