SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How would you rank my site?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • It needs work on the content?

1 33.33%
  • It needs work on the intro?

2 66.67%
  • It needs work on the navigation?

0 0%
  • It needs no work at all?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Tear mY site Up

Review site: http://www.drschaufler.com

Please review it and tear it up folks!

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Adam,

=============================================
    Speed : cable
    Resolution : 1024x768
    Browser : Mozilla 0.9
    Processor : AMD K6-2 350

Mmmmmmmm.... Couple of points....

1. Errrrrrrr...... What is the intended point of the splash intro, especially for a medical practice? (which took ages to load on my cable = way too long! People won't sit around waiting for it to load - they'll click off it)

As much as I love Linkin Park, I don't really see how it ties into your intro (nor the practice for that matter).

Users would also prefer to jump straight into your site, and would prefer to see the 'Skip Intro' button at the very beginning instead of after the Flash intro finally loads (how in the world did you squeeze all of One Step Closer into the Flash intro??).

My advice : drop the intro unless the doctors really, really, really want it badly.

2. Once inside...... Site looks nice, solid and reasonably professional. Navigation is solid and quite usable.

3. However, the font size is a bit small - you need to increase it by 1 so that it's easier to read.

Otherwise, not too bad. 3/5 ..... Blame that Flash intro for dragging the score down
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great advice

I agree I think I will drop the flash Intro

Thanks for the Great Reviews Guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my first site!

This is my FIRST SITE BY THE WAY!

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,

For a first effort, it is pretty darn good! You deserve a lot of praise for that.

But the Flash intro should go...
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...I'll go along with BC here. Ditch the Flash intro. I'm not a big lover of them anyway, and here especially it does nothing to enhance the site at all.

Once inside though, I found the site to be very professional. I like the picture of the practice (top right) and the little Flash animation added to it when you mouse over. It's a nice touch and not at all intrusive.

Just a few little points:

On the Meet The Doctors page, I don't quite understand why you've made the image with their names on into a blank hyperlink. Users associate the 'hand' with a link and will, as I did, assume that it's supposed to take them somewhere - perhaps to details about the doctors. Also, you lose continuity between the 'personal' and 'training' buttons. On one, the text apears where the names are, on the other, you have to click to open a pop-up. It's confusing. Choose one style, then make both the same.

On the Meet The Staff page, none of the images loaded.

On the FAQ's page, I would suggest you take away all the blank 'Question' 'Answer' bits. Add more as you have more questions and answers to list.

Just an idea, but how about changing the colour of the hyperlinks so that they match more with the colour scheme of the site rather than using defaults?

Other than that, I think you've done a great job in making a professional looking site - particularly for your first one.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks man!

Thanks I think I will take your advice on the meet the Doctors Page,

Not: on the Meet the Staff Page, I have yet to get the pictures it!

thanks for the great review!

I really appreciate it!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Adam! You already know what I think about the site... but for everyone else:

I know you're dropping the intro (or changing it to something related to the medical field) so that's not a problem.

On your FAQ page, I'd lose the "Question" and "Answer" titles alltogether. Maybe bold the questions so they stand out. It just looks too repetitive.

Oh, and your links on the main page below the picture of the practice are referencing your local drive... a common problem. They'll look like they load for you, but not for anyone else. You might want to check on that.

I think you've done a great job on your first site, and have learned a lot since you first started. For those of you who have no idea - Adam just started in web design about 2 months ago. He's been working with us after school and learning the programs at home. It makes me sick how the younger people can learn this stuff 10 times faster!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Somone Please Review my Site

Hey would someone please review my site I really dont care what you say just something that will help me get better at web design!

It is my first site so I am open to all ideas!!!!

Thanks,

Adam

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first review here in a really really really long time. Half a year at least. Anyway...

Speed : Cable
    Resolution : 1600x1200
    Browser : Mozilla 0.8
    Processor : 800MHz Intel Pentium III

First impression: Loaded fast, looks nice. Your source code could use some optimizing though. Try downloading a program like TidyGUI to clean it up.

I recieved a notice that I needed to install Shockwave to see parts of the page. I didn't do it, so I don't know what I am missing. However, it seems a little odd to me to have a shockwave animation on a site like that Don't forget to drop the intro, as you said you would.

The site looks pretty good, especially for a beginner. Good luck with web design

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I agree with the others that it's a very good effort for a first time, I remember my first effort and it was waaaaayyyy below the standard you've set.
    Be patient, I can see you have a nice site there.
    My honest opinion:
    1. The flash animation on the first page is quite redundant, as this is a informative, professional site, people want to know more, I doubt they'll mouse over and wait for it to animate.

2. The feather of the main pic and some pictures inside can be done better and smoother. Do you use photoshop? If you do, draw a marquee, feather 5-10 pixels, inverse the selection and fill it with your background color of the site. I mean this is my personal method, you can choose to ignore it.

3. The rollovers, the glow of the text doesn't seem to fit into the overall feel of the site. Maybe instead of the glow you can choose another colour of the text, or change the colour of the button instead.

4. Try not to use so much bold text.

5. I see you are using some thing else to do your rollovers, it's quite chunky the code. Maybe you can try either learning to use ImageReady to produce the code for you, or use clean javascript. A lot of your code seems unneccessary since you only seem to have simple rollovers.

I understand that this is your first time, and you probably use some of those third party software to generate your scripts? Do try learning how to clean your code.

Nevertheless, well done!
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a first effort - well done... nice looking site. And as someone said -- be patient. Haha. What a terrible pun!

Anywho... Your coding is pretty nasty and the CSScript looks way too big for what you want it to do. Have a look at www.javascript-source.com where you'll find some much shorter ways to do the mousovers. This is especially the case for your image preloader, on my 56.6k modem it has never finished by the time I am ready to click a new link.

Minor minor minor thing - on the 3rd FAQ you have put YOUR instead of YOU. Oh and another one.. you might consider changing the photo on the meet the doctors page, it isn't the best!

The only other thing I'd say is that generally, the images/colours don't give that really professional feel to them, even thought the layout works well as does the nav. Consider different colour schemes (not that peach colour!) and it shouild be a good site.

Good luck..

P.S. Any chance you can give me a link to the intro, before it went - I love Linkin Park but it was gone before I got a chance to see it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call to action

Looks pretty good. Clean design and navigation. Couple of relatively minor things:

o CALL TO ACTION. At the end of the day, this is a business and there must be a clear call to action on the home page. If they've bothered to find this page... make it easy to get in contact. 800#, phone#, FAX, email address, etc.

o HOME NAVIGATION. Nav-bar should probably have HOME as the first item... that's what most sites do.

Pretty good!

Dave
    ===========================================
    http://badblue.com/helpphp.htm
    Free small footprint web server for Windows
    Share files... get PHP up and running fast
    ===========================================

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments!

Hey guys thanks for the great Reviews again I will work on that chunky code that you guys keep talkin about and I will try to find some better pictures for the site too.

the link to the intro is here http://www.drschaufler.com/index2.html

thanks again and keep them coming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed : Cable 1.5MB
    Resolution : 1600x1200
    Browser : IE 6

Site looks good and downloaded quickly.

You have a spelling mistake on your faq page which was pointed out above.

Your (You) can go to the office info page and look at the map that we have provided for you.

The only problem I can see that might arise is that you already have data entered in the comments fields of your forms. I learned the hardway that if you have text in a form field that doesn't disappear when the user clicks on it, most people will not delete the text there but just start writing on a new line.

Site looks quite good for a first timer .

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5 on Mac OS8.6
    Cable
    800 x 600 and 1152 x 870

The site looks good - I like the colours However, at 800 x 600 the home page looks a bit of a mess The table at the bottom right of the home page only fits halfway onto my page (note I use a large font setting in my browser - I don't wear glasses yet - and don't want to ) The result is that none of the elements on the page form any geometry - its all higgle-piggle. You really want to avoid people having to scroll on your home page for the type of content you have (which on the home page is just links). You should be able to tighten the design up to achieve this. I had a quick muck around myself and came up with an alternative that shows that you can fit everything into 800 x 600. I'll email it to you.

The image file containing the photograph of the Drs Shuffler is named "mom+dad.jpg". I didn't go out of my way to notice this - but it just happened to catch my attention (in the status bar) when the "Meet the Doctors" page was loading. Choose a more appropriate name - some people will notice!

All the images on the "Meet the Staff" page were broken for me.

On the FAQ page - I don't like the centring of the questions. I would prefer all the text to be left aligned.

Otherwise - I think it is a damned good site! Congrats

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not gonna suck up and say I love it, though it's great for a first site, some things I will say (real quick, I'm tired of typing).

1. Rollovers generally go from blurred to focused because that's the impression you want to give, one of "this is where you are, and what you want to look at" instead of "here's your list of options, oh, wait, you sure you want that?".

2. I'm not seeing a very strong layout style, it's kinda here and there, which works for print but when you have multiple pages without a strict "this column is for this" users often tend to get lost looking for the info they want. Actually, on second loo, it's not that bad but the frontpage needs work (for the above reason).

3. Text sizes... varied, a touch big or bold perhaps.

4. I think for the actual amount of info there are an awful lot of nav links, I'd be looking for more depth to the site so users don't get really bored really fast, maybe 4-5 links instead of your 9, make it 2-3 levels deep.

All in all, it's really good, only other point would be to actually have your graphix fade all teh way to white (they don't and thus look a bit blocky) and to use much cleaner JS and HTML.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for such honest reviews

I agree I dont have much of a layout it is just kind of thrown together, I need more instruction in that area indeed. Mabye you guys have some suggestions on how I should go about doing that. Well I really appreciate the reviews that you guys have taken the time to write.

I will try to make as many improvements as possible on the criteria that you have suggested for improvement

Thanks again,

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Thanks for the great reviews

I really have enjoyed your reviews, and I was wondering if someone could tell me of a site that has alot of PhotoShop and illistrator tutorials so that I could get better trained with those programs!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Web site -- a review...

Ok Adam...here you go!

Technical issues:

1. your nav disappears when I click on some of the options (http://www.drschaufler.com/pft.html)

http://www.drschaufler.com/doctors.html should just allow you to click on their names to get their info. Don't make people click more than necessary.

General comments:

As a woman who would goto a gynocologist, my focus is not on what the place looks like from the outside. I want to know:

1. who the doctors are (and if they are women or men)
    2. what their patient's think
    3. what their hours are and their location
    4. what they specialize in (birth, infertility, etc.)
    5. the hosp. they are affiliated with.

If all of this info is on the homepage, with links to the baby pictures, bios of the doctors, picture of the staff etc. then I would be a VERY happy patient.

The news items are very good.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh, by the way, I like the clean look and feel, but I think you need to tighten up the overall presentation a bit.
    Elaine Young
    Web Manager
    Wellnessweb.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks alot

I sure will tighten it up a bit, I needed that input I think I will change the page very soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I like how the pictures edges are soft
    I like the colour scheme

One problem the "Practice info" button to the left of the page when mouse overed the text lights (which is good) but the words move slightly, unlike the other buttons.

Another point before the pic of the office put a 2 or 3 line paragraph about the companies services.

Thats it

- Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one thing:

Your page's BODY object doesn't have a background colour defind. If a user has a default background colour other than white, it doesn't match up with the white edges of the photographs.

You should define a bgcolor="#FFFFFF" in your body tag to get the desired effect.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice site!

Connection - 24.4 bps
    Windows 98
    I.E. 5.0
    AMD K6 3D processor
    800 x 600 Resolution

You must have gotten rid of the flash intro because I had a good load time of under 10 seconds even with my incredibly slow connection. The home page looks very professional!

The Baby photo album should be a HUGE hit with visitors! I can't see how to add a photo, though. Excellent use of a pop up window! I usually despise pop ups, but this is a place that makes sense!

You might try a photo sharing service such as everyone.net or bravenet.com which will allow people to post photos of their cuties. But if you want control of the photos, this is not a good idea.

I leave with a very good impression of the Dr.s and I have been a medical technologist for 24 years. This is an office I would visit and I love having the info on the web before I go!

I foresee a great future for you in web design. I can't believe this is your first effort! Very nice.

Lela
    George W. is on vacation - again!
    austinstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The additions to your navigation are a big improvement since the last review I did, the page doesn't look quite so white and seems to have more balance.

A few things I noticed though are in your flash the first Schaufler ends up looking like Schauller when the white text ends up meeting the white background, also the "u" seems to be dropped down a bit when compared to the rest of the name and also doesn't happen in the second instance of Schaufler.

The only other error I could find was the spelling of October on the baby photo album page.

Good work.