SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP - database permissions/group membership YIKES - HELP!

I have an ASP application that relies heavily on NT permissions (groups). They are using the NT groups at the database level to allow access to certain functionality. However, I want to apply these principles at the ASP level.

How can I find out if someone is a member of the Personnel group, or the Administrator group? Or better yet, how can I find out which groups a person is a member of. I'm assuming I should be able to query the SQL permissions database, but I've been playing with this for days now and just can't get it working. Does anyone have ideas/sample code that can help me. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with calling stored procedures, so I'm limping along right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

April
    TEAMWORK is the fuel that allows common people
    to produce uncommon results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, this is a great question. The answer you are looking for is ADSI, the Active Directory Services Interface. It allows you, with ASP or Visual Basic, to Interface with most levels of NT, Novell, Windows 2000, etc. Chances are some portion of it is installed on your server now. Here are some links to materials having to do with ADSI:This should help you in your quest for Windows NT Permissions, etc. For more searches, I recommend the Microsoft Knowledge base, because a great many, many things can be found in there having to do with ASP and ADSI.

If you have any more questions, or would like me to search some more, feel free to ask. Hope this helps!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)