SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash HTML Combo-- to go

Just completed this site. It's a flash-html hybrid site. Would love to get your reactions on the design/copy/download speeds/ browser/platform compatibilty issues etc...

Cheers
    Nav
    Last edited by Nav; Jun 7, 2001 at 23:35.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy,

=====================================
    Speed : Cable
    Monitor resolution : 1024 x 768
    Browser : IE 5.5
    =====================================

First impressions : soothing colors, flying on my connection, generally very nice!

However, with the text,

Wanadu believes learning should know no boundaries.
    Every person should have the ability to exchange knowledge without constraints on time, distance, and.... <blah blah>
    I got quite disoriented reading the text the way it's being presented. In print, columns are acceptable, but on the Web everyone reads from left to right unless you clearly indicate that the text has been separated. If you really want to keep the current column format insert a line down the middle or some sort of separator graphic so that people don't get confused by the text.

Rollovers up the top are very nice, but very slow (DreamWeaver rollovers are shocking ) - you may want to look at alternative JavaScript solutions to produce quicker, less bloated rollovers.

Otherwise, clean, soothing, muted. Very nice indeed. 4/5
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a T1, IE5, 1024x768.

I had no compatibility issues, the Flash stuff looks real good.

Design: I like it, looks professional. Very easy to navigate.

Copy: I found the Aristotle thing a little trite. The About Us section was so full of buzzwords, I gave up. Just level with us, forget the MBA-speak.

Overall a good looking site, but content wise has a long ways to go - but I think you're just wanting first impressions before you get to far down a path - I understand that.

Good work.
    "Best viewed on webmaster's machine."
    Alertra Site Monitor: www.alertra.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    professional looking site.....nice effort! =)
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first impressions... nice! I liked it.

Great implementation of the flash, and I liked the Aristotle stuff. Good stuff!

However, the layout of the text was a little annoying. Whilst double spacing makes it easier to read, using columns like that was off putting.

Clicking the links on the top nav was bizarre -- they disappeared. I know this is a common problem for mousovers etc but it was disconcerting. I also don't think the style of the nav is in keeping with the rest of the site, which is extremely professional. I think it is the italicised text and even the font. I'd probably change.

Can't wait to see what these e-intelligence solutions are!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have to say that this is one of the best implimentations of flash on a site. You integrate the different technologies (flash, javascript and HTML) really well.

I love the color scheme, and as said before, the colors are very soothing. I was so interested when I first looked at the homepage that I read everything on the site to see what the company was about. I guess that's the goal!

Great job - I'd give it a out of 5 (That's a first)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know one of the major issue is with the readbility of the text. I like BC's idea of putting a visual delimiter. Will try that out. Also the top nav rollovers were done in dreamweaver, and yes they are slow will see how i can improve them. Once again, thanx for the comments...

Cheers
    Nav

BTW the MBA speak is part of a strategy, and will make way for a more reader friendly copy later on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job. Looks great using IE 5.0 and WIN 98 800X600. I love the colors. The site is very easy to navigate.
    Though not related how the page looks, I think you should consider adding meta tags for the search engines.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash is really nice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Praveen.

I share your enthusiasm for flash. Though only when it's used optimally

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice design.
    Why you do not use the following tags?:
    <meta name="description" content="your description">
    <meta name="keywords" content="your keywords">
    Search Engine Consultant - Do not risk your business using basic search engine ranking software.
    Read this article Use AgentWebRanking Professional edition. www.agentwebranking.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't really decided upon the exact keywords we are targetting at, yet. So the meta tags will follow once the decision has been taken. Thanks for you comments

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nav,

this free online tool from Goto should help you to select your keywords: http://inventory.goto.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

Once your keywords and Tags are ready read this tutorial before adding your site to search engine.http://www.aadsoft.com/agentwebranking/addurl.htm
    Search Engine Consultant - Do not risk your business using basic search engine ranking software.
    Read this article Use AgentWebRanking Professional edition. www.agentwebranking.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!

That sure is one good looking site!
    It is original by design and very attractive and kind of has a soothing effect from all the banners flashing into your pupils all over the net.
    The fade effect is absolutely terrific and I love how it takes a moment to start blending. I saw it out of the corner of my eyes as I was reading. I thought *huh*? Too cool!

However, I think that you should try to squish it a bit more. 'Coz whenI was reading, each section goes to the top (under my toolbar) and I could only see the bottom of the fading area I have 800X600 and the site is very readable. i recon you could squish it a but more to try and fit it into one browser screen, scrolling a little as possible.

I recently posted here at sitepoint for a review of my logo. it's a GIF and I would like to make it a flash! I didn't really get eny good advice, you obviously know your flash. (I know very little) Would you take a look, I would be honoured. Can you let me know what/if anything can be done with it in flash?

All in all, I love your site. It loads quick, the colors are great and it's an attractive and peacefull site to be at.

Well done!

Cheers,

MrLeN

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying very hard to find something negative here....so that I can make this post a little longer than just saying...

WOW!

That basically sums up how I feel. I'm not a great lover of Flash (more Flash Intro's than anything else), but in this instance it blends in so well.

Everything loaded so quick too....even with my 56k modem.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for the feedback guys. Appreciate it. MrLeN if you could post a link to the thread, i could try to give you some advice on the logo. I know about the scrollbar issue on 800x600 will try and do something about that...

Cheers
    Nav

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments

Nice site. I have a question about your rollover menus up top. For some reason the images switch out very slowly for me. Are they really being preloaded?

I think the login box on the products and services page should be the same color as "The next degree".

I LOVE the Flash map on the Contact Us page! I think the white text on the right hand side is hard to read. I would make it the same color as 'draggable map', and maybe change the color of 'draggable map' and 'zoom' to black.

Great site, very professional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Very Professional, Excellent use of Flash! Good colour scheme

Couple of things -

The "Wanadu believes learning should know no boundaries" didn't really jump out i think you should put it on the same line as the "Our Vision:" picture.

Next with a 800x600 resolution there is a uneeded scrollbar at the bottom of the page, i known its a lot to ask but if you can shrink the page get rid of it, if you can't - forget it!

- Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    64K connection
    17' monitor.

Everything looks really good. I like the fact that you kept the flash file relatively small. It comes quickly in and by the time you have read the text, the image comes in. Good timing...

I am a bit unsure about how you text is being displayed though. It would deserve to look a bit more webby.

Very good site, very pleasant. Well done.
    Seb

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows ME (I know, I know...)
    Netscape Communicator 4.76
    56K connection

The site looks very sleek and professional - the pastels are easy on the eye. The rollovers seem to work fine, except they wait until I mouseover to load the alternate picture... maybe a preload script?

Also, like I think some other people have mentioned, the text is kind of confusing. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet - I can read it, it's just... different. There doesn't seem to be any reason to split it into columns when you don't have that much text, and it made me do a double-take when I tried to read it the first time, even though you have the splitter graphic there, but it adds a sense of unity to the whole site since everything else is split like that... maybe increase the amount of whitespace between the two columns?

I like the way that the first letter of every paragraph is in bold - it separates the paragraphs and makes the page as a whole easier to read, kinda like a highlighter, I suppose.

Overall, great job!