SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Digital Contracts and how much legal weight they are worth.

I have been doing a fair bit of webby work rather quickly in the last few weeks and of course I would like to protect myself with contracts but snail-mail, meetings and contract revisions are very slow to do. So the obvious solution is a digital contract (like the way webhosts have their terms of service).

How much legal weight do these digital contracts carry? Will it protect me in court even though there is no physical written signiture? Does a "I agree to these terms" checkbox count as a digital contract signiture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceW
    I have been doing a fair bit of webby work rather quickly in the last few weeks and of course I would like to protect myself with contracts but snail-mail, meetings and contract revisions are very slow to do. So the obvious solution is a digital contract (like the way webhosts have their terms of service).

How much legal weight do these digital contracts carry? Will it protect me in court even though there is no physical written signiture? Does a "I agree to these terms" checkbox count as a digital contract signiture?
    Er.. I wouldn't. Not a good idea.

Here's a much safer and more efficient way: do your contracts in PDF format, email them, and then get your client to print, sign, and fax back to you. Use an internet fax service that returns the document to your email as a TIFF file. When it's time to invoice, mail out a copy of the contract (with your own signature) along with the bill. That's how I do it.

There's no need to do contract revisions via snail mail today. The tech's all available for speed and efficiency, without sacrificing legal security.