SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink XML CMS - Sapid CMS? ...and syndicating content

Hi. What can I say except that my head feels like it's going to EXPLODE from confusion. I would say that I am a novice in web development and hope that some of you guys can take some time to understand what I am trying to do. I will try and keep it short(try not to laugh)...

What I want to create is a web site and it's main purpose will be a forum community. I will be using vBulletin as the forum software.

The site will have about 10 main forum categories, with more than 100 sub-forum categories and a homepage devoted for each main AND sub-forum categories. Each of these homepages should display a list of top-rated content from the forums (or its database?) + misc. syndicateable topics from other sites automatically using a syndication option that vBulletin allows, These are 1) XML. 2) RSS. 3) Javasript, and they should contain the users avatar.

I have looked at dozens of CMS to do this job but I just don't see how to do this. I have been seriously contemplating using HTML pages using Dreamweaver templates and using a parser like Magpie to display syndicatable topics, even though it will still take me forever to understand how to integrate it.

Now I have come across the Sapid CMS http://sapid.sourceforge.net/ which is built with XML. I have tried the demo and it looks very professional and simple because I can supposably tell it to stick in a syndicatable "channel" or "topic" from my forum or website on any page. It also allows me to customize the template of each page in a way I have NEVER seen before.

Basically what I need to know is if anyone can tell me if Sapid XML CMS would be appropriate for my project? Is an XML based CMS a good option for this sort of project?

Or maybe there is another CMS that you can recommend? vbportal and vbadvanced do not fit my situation, and Subdreamer just looks like a cut-back vBadvanced. Freindly URLs are also important. Open code is a must, but it can be a commercial CMS.

James.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SAPID is quite convenient solution. You can create a few documents’ templates (models) of SAPID CMS. They’ll call up DDCs with algorithms of RSS-delivery (It answer following questions: What are RSS-sources? How present it? e.t.c.). Organization of dedicated information line will take short time

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy, i'm glad that someone has even heard of Sapid , but of course its a new CMS anyway.

I've been exploring it the last few days and I know I can get it to work well for my project in the short term easily and then customise it further through the DDC modules(even if I have to hire someone). The best part is its not bloated with features out of the box and the templating system is super easy. It doesnt even have a database which is cool because I wont be needing it seeing that I will be syndicating all the content from the vBulletin database and various news sites.

I have actually found that vBadvanced can do what I want but the process is much more tedious.

I am actually begining to understand exactly how it will fit together and it seems more simpler than I thought. Oh well, we'll see