SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I fix these errors???

I put full error reporting on http://www.geoworld.org/na/usa/al/ so you can see what's going on. It's extremely confusing because that same page gets different errors locally. I THINK I've republished all relevant local pages, so what's online should be exactly what I have on my computer.

At any rate, the following errors appear near the top of the page:

PHP Code:
    NoticeUndefined variablemykind in /home/world/public_html/a1/inc/head/a1.php on line 84

Notice
    Undefined variablemykind in /home/world/public_html/a1/inc/head/a1.php on line 87

Notice
    Undefined variablemykind in /home/world/public_html/a1/inc/head/a1.php on line 90

Notice
    Undefined variablemykind in /home/world/public_html/a1/inc/head/a1.php on line 93

Notice
    Undefined variablemykind in /home/world/public_html/a1/inc/head/a1.php on line 96

Notice
    Undefined indexIDParentReg in /home/world/public_html/a1/inc/head/a1.php on line 182 
    The $mykind errors don't seem to be causing any problems, so I can probably ignore them. But the last error does cause a problem. So how do I define it?

This is what it looks like in my HTML:

PHP Code:
    echo ('<link href="/a1/css/world.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
     <link href="/a1/css/na.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
     <link href="/a1/css/na/' 
    $data_details['IDParentReg'] . '.css"   rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />');
     break; 
    On my local page, I get similar errors - but they refer to different pages!

PHP Code:
    NoticeUndefined variablemykind in C:\sites\GeoWorld\a1\inc\body\a1.php on line 17

Notice
    : Use of undefined constant IDParent assumed 'IDParent' in C:\sites\GeoWorld\a1\inc\body\stahom.php on line 3

Notice
    : Use of undefined constant IDParent assumed 'IDParent' in C:\sites\GeoWorld\a1\inc\body\stahom.php on line 4 
    Moreover, the IDParent error doesn't seem to cause any problems; the function that depends on it works locally.

IDParent works on www.geoworld.org/eur/fra/, which does give me one clue. My STATE links use a more complicated ID than the national links. France is fra, while Alabama is us-al. And I've had to use a variety of scripts to transform us-al into al where necessary.

But, again, if it's working locally, why isn't working online??? I don't think it's a database problem, because it appears to relate directly to my HTML, queries, etc.

Any tips?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another clue...this variable from the same page appears to be working:

PHP Code:
    <?php
    switch ($data_details['IDArea']) {
    case 
    'us-ak':
    $Counties='Boroughs';
    break;
    IDParentReg and IdArea are found in the same database table - though IDArea is also the name of a field in several other tables. So maybe there's something wrong witih my query. (Both the query and the page the problem is on are included into the main page.)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get these errors when you haven't checked that a variable or array element exists.
    the correct way to program this would be
    if(isset($mykind)) { echo $mykind; }
    wherever you need to echo out the result. Likewise with the array values.
    Note as well that this isn't a serious error and you can turn off reporting of PHP notice errors, but they are there to promote good coding practice.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossriley
    You get these errors when you haven't checked that a variable or array element exists.
    the correct way to program this would be
    if(isset($mykind)) { echo $mykind; }
    wherever you need to echo out the result.
    So instead of writing <?php echo "$mycode" ?> I should write <?php if(isset($mykind)) { echo $mykind; } ?> ?

And how should I write this?:

PHP Code:
    <?php
    switch ($mykind)
    {
       case 
    'pla':
    Likewise with the array values.
    So IDParentReg should work if I just rewrite it? How would I rewrite this?:

PHP Code:
    <link href="/a1/css/na/' . $data_details['IDParentReg'] . '.css"   rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />'); 
    In the meantime, the plot just got thicker. I just discovered that the "weather in the capital" feature works on the Alaska page - www.geoworld.org/na/usa/ak/ - but not on the Alabama page. It uses a variable similar to IDParentReg, but I can't understand why it should work on one page and not the other. They both use the same queries and database.

Thanks.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops - ignore my last post. It turns out that error was caused by error reporting.