SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique my website, please

Please critique any and all aspects of my new website, www.logoforge.com including design, copy, usability, etc. Thanks.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 14, 2001 at 20:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Nice picture (in the main page), perfect for the concept of your site. But I would prefer if it was more smaller, I saw you site with 1152x854 and the image is to much bigger for my browser window.

- in the faqs menu try using another color with greater contrast.

- Include the links in your main page for the other sections portafolio, terms & contract.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Spridel, it's me again:

I was reviewing your code and I saw you are using HTM 3.2 DTD, may be you want to update it to HTML 4.01 transitional or strict.

Also consider to replace all the <font> tags with CSS

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with making the image alot smaller on your splash screen. You might also want to think about eliminating it as most people feel as though splash screens are useless and a waste of time spent downloading.

The only other thing I noticed that could be a problem is the red for your links doesn't really stand out good against the black background, you may want to think about switching to a bit brighter color.

Overall the site looks great.

Congrats,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul S, My HTML editor automatically inserts the stuff about the HTML version. I don't know 3.2 from 4.0. Does it really matter? I once tried to run my pages through a HTML validator and finally gave up, since once it was validated, it stopped working In IE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spridel

Just replace your actual DTD with this

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    HTML 4.0 includes new elements and attributes to improve accessibility.
    Also support for CSS was included, now you can select a style for each tag (like ID, CLASS, etc)

If you want to, you can check HTML recommendations here http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/

BTW Which editor are you using?

Paul
    Last edited by Paul S; May 31, 2001 at 16:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Arachnophilia, a freeware app.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If PaulS thought that image was big at 1152x854, imagine what it looks like at 800x600! It's huge.

I'm not a big fan of splash pages in general and they can be problematic for search engines, although with some carefully crafted text and meta tags, they can work. Don't forget to take advantage of "alt" tags for your gaphics, they can help you reinforce keywords.

That said, I think splash pages work best when kept to one screen that displays completely at 800x600.

On to faqs.html... everything is left-aligned in both NS 4.6 and IE 4.0 and that looks awkward to me. I'd center my tables. Also, consider using percentage-width tables that will scale with the visitor's resolution. Fixed at 620 probably looks like there's too much wasted space at anything higher than 800x600.

I agree that the red links on the black bar are hard to read. I'd also make the links on the nav bar consistent. Some pages have different ones. I'm also a fan of including including the current page but *not* making it a live link (use a slightly different color) so the visitor knows where they are in the scheme of the navigation.

On portfolio.html I'm getting a gap of about 2-1/2" before the first logo and between each logo. Close that space up. I also think the logos should be a bit smaller.

Overall, it's a very nice site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JeromeQ,

everything is left-aligned in both NS 4.6 and IE 4.0 and that looks awkward to me. I'd center my tables.
    I used align=center in the table tags, which centers them fine in Netscape 4.06. Why would it not work in NS 4.6? Should I use <center></center> tags instead?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Spridel
    JeromeQ,

I used align=center in the table tags, which centers them fine in Netscape 4.06. Why would it not work in NS 4.6? Should I use <center></center> tags instead?
    I also got the same thing in IE. Sorry, but I use a WYSIWYG (GoLive) and am not the best to analyze your code or give advice on cross-browser compatibility tags. All I know is that I'm seeing left-alignment in both browsers. (Mac)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others have covered very well some of the appearance issues. Here's what struck me the most: The splash screen, yeah it's too big, but more importantly I don't find it appealing in any way. I'm sure it's a taste thing, and I could be way off base, but I think it's a very risky type of image to put forth when you want people to trust you with their corporate identity.

Not to belabor it, but you say this yourself:

- Ridiculously low prices or turnaround times: Do you really want a cut-rate, clip-art logo to represent your enterprise?
    -

In my opinion, the very first impression of your site is a cut-rate, clip-art logo. Ouch, I know, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors if I didn't tell you what I think (FWIW).

You have some nice looking logos in your portfolio, the one with the animated key is kind of corny though. I think you should make these quite a bit smaller, and there should be a lot more of them - if you have more.

I think your text/copy is excellent. It's very professional, expressive and descriptive.

I hope this has been helpful, that is definitely how I intend it. You are in a precarious position in that potential customers will scrutinize the look of your site much more because of what you're selling. From a graphical standpoint, you absolutely have to put your best foot forward.

Regards!
    "Best viewed on webmaster's machine."
    Alertra Site Monitor: www.alertra.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way too much scrolling, my monitor is on 1280x960 and I have to scroll a lot.
    Maybe you can cut them up into sub sections instead?
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, the very first impression of your site is a cut-rate, clip-art logo. Ouch, I know, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors if I didn't tell you what I think (FWIW).
    Touche. I would quibble that I the clip art is used in the page and not in the logo, but your point is well taken. It's something I will definitely give some thought to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone has said, the image is too big. A lot of people like me only have 800x600 res and from the top to the bottom of the page it takes 4 presses of the old "Page Down" button.
    Also, you could consider puting a clear "Enter the site" link at the top and/or bottom of the splash page. Many people will be bemused as to how to get into the site. So put a link seperate from the paragraph. It would help.
    And a 'Costs' or 'Prices' link in the main menu would be helpful for users, like me, who don't bother to read the whole of the main page; and the costs happens to be at the bottom of that lol.

Anyway, hope that helps,

- Will

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of site

Tried to review site but it appears your server is down

Used IE5 and 1024x768

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of I would like to say that I am reviewing this site clean.
    By that I mean i havent read what anyone else has said about it yet....

1) The splash page.

• The picture on the right has to go. In my honest oppion it looks quite tacky,
    • If the man is going to stay then atleast move the text down the bottom up to the left hand side of the man.

2) The page design/layout
    • the page looks good, the colour scheme quite good
    • The text in the navbar should be centered, or prefferably spaced out so that it takes up the hole bar. I think that would look better.
    • there is to much text on the front page. I think it should be summarised on the front page (just enough to entise me to want to read it, what you say is very good, from what I read)
      this would have 2 benefits it would make your site look a little larger then it is, it would also be less daunting, remember that it is easy to read (scan) 4 short pages then 1 long page as people will keep reading while they are waiting for the next page.

3) the terms and contact page are good (no complaints)
    4) the portfolio page, The only problem i had with this page was that the logos were outside the borderlines for your site and they were centerd when the rest of your site is aligned to the left.

hope I was harsh enough for you
    generaly tho I liked your site. I really did focus on what I didnt like, but the opposite is that if I didnt say anything about something then i probably wasnt fazed by it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad

Yeah, good job with the first page, but I think you should make it fit into the average browser window @ an 800 x 600 res.

Perhaps you could bring the welcoming text up into the large space on the left, it would be a good use of space.

Also, (hate to be pickey) a menu on the first page would be a nice touch, rather than going through your FAQ page. Maybe a line of options at the top of the page.

And try butting a bright white drop shadow behind the text on your 'banner' type heading, it will make it a fair bit more contrasting.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. splash page has been discussed. But I'd like to re-iterate about that FAQ link... there should be more.
    When I got there, I thought that was it. That was all there was to your site. A splash page and an FAQ. I wouldn't even bother going to the FAQ because I would never expect your navigation to the rest of the site to be located there.

I can't see why that image of the guy on the splash screen can't be scaled down, and the welcome text all go within the same layout as the rest of the pages. You know, with the flame header and everything. That way, when people click on the Home link, it'll still look like they're at the same site, and still have all the navigational options available to them.

Now then, on to your navigational options. They really do need to fill up all that black space. I think that you have enough options, it's just that you hide the option that the user is on completely. Like, if they're on the portfolio page, that link is gone completely. That's a tad confusing, when I go back up to the links, they look different, because the FAQ literally takes the Portfolio link's place.

I suggest leaving the word Portfolio, and just having it in white text or something. No link. That way, they can see they're on the page, they can see which it is, and they can't click on it again. But it's still there, like a place holder. So that navigational menu will change slightly in appearance, but all the options will stay in their rightful places... and that'll help all of us who get confused easily

As for the rest... I agree with what everyone else said.

By the way, you scared me when I took a quick glance at your URL, cause it so closely resembles mine!

Stuart Duncan
    www.Logiforms.com
    stu@logiforms.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whack <div align="center"> after your <body> tag and then </div> before your </body> tag.

I don't like the way the various navigation options change from page to page. Try to keep them consistent, and in a logical order. I would also consider using a little css to spice the navigation up a little and consider changing the colour.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see why that image of the guy on the splash screen can't be scaled down, and the welcome text all go within the same layout as the rest of the pages. You know, with the flame header and everything. That way, when people click on the Home link, it'll still look like they're at the same site, and still have all the navigational options available to them.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It never really occurred to me before. I was trying to do something with the splash page that may or may not have been successful, but I realized that aside from the logo it didn't have any visual relation to the other pages, which could be disorienting. The only problem with the new arrangement is that the home page is over 70k. What's the rule of thumb now for page weight? Last I heard, you were supposed to keep it under 40k.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Spridel

The only problem with the new arrangement is that the home page is over 70k. What's the rule of thumb now for page weight? Last I heard, you were supposed to keep it under 40k.
    The smaller the better. If you can keep it under 10kb then it's great. 40kb would be acceptable but will probably take 20 or 30 seconds to load on a modem.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff