User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is interesting...

I've found a script on About.com that will disable right-clicking to save images and html. Now I know that most of them are breakable, but try this one out! I tried it in IE 5 and Netscape and it actually worked. :eek: You can still view->source from the menu bar, but this might stop some...

<script language=JavaScript>
    <!--
    var message="";
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}
    // -->
    </script>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but they can still get it . Anyway if you dont want people taking stuff off the net from your site it shouldnt be there in the first place
    Back Again

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a no-right-click script that I use on my photo's page. A few professional photographers have agreed to provide me some racing shots, under the condition that I did what I could to prevent people from taking them. The no-right-click thing is enough to deter people (the ones with scruples anyway) as the message they get warns that the photos are subject to copyright, but there are still ways round it. I'm now looking for a program that will slice my images up (preferably at random), but even that won't prevent it completely because there's always the 'print screen' option!!!!
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the only realistic way to protect images, photos in particular is using a type of watermark, branding or copyright statement on the image itself. I've seen tons of scripts claiming ot protect images and even as complex and paranoid as you can get with this, there's always a way around it. Deter them all you want, but it ends up more of a frustrating-time consuming process than it's worth. I use a program now that batch processes all my photos, creates the thumbnails and adds a copyright notice at a given point on the image. I'll post a link for those that may find it useful.

http://www.atalasoft.com/
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image protection

www.oakroad.com has come up with a very creative way of protecting images on the Internet. They even offer a bit of space for images for free.. great for photographers!
    pb.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know, I hate this. I don't want your code or your images anyway! Why do you have to be so arrogant as to think anyone really wants your material, especially if you're cocky enough not to be like the rest of us and allow our source to be seen. I for one LEARN from other sites layouts. I see a site and say, hmm, I wonder how they did that. It's people like you who cause all kinds of problems for self-starters. I'm well beyond that. You obviously don't want to contribute to the community known as "webdesign". so you be selfish. Perhaps, I can direct you to some cute little javascripts with eyes that chase the mouse cursor around or a star icon with sparkly dust. I'm sure they would reflect your obvious maturity in webdesign.

sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketch, I can understand your viewpoint, but it's not always arrogance. Sometimes there is a need to at least try to protect images - like the professional photos I have the privilege of displaying. As I said before, doing what I could to point out that these images are not for public use was a request from the photographers themselves.

Also, for you to make that comment that nobody's interested in stealing code - they do. Ask the guys here at SitePoint.

There are many like you, I'm one of them, who are self taught and learn by studying other people's code, and it can be frustrating if you try to view the code of a particular site and find you can't, but at the end of the day, it's really up to the designer whether he/she shares it or not. Also, you have to take into account that the reason the code may be 'hidden' is because they've had the site 'ripped' before and are trying to prevent it from happening again.

Just trying to show another side of the coin here........

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saz,

I appreciate your viewpoint...and I do hear you. I'm not as pissed off as I seem. When it comes to images, protect them all you want. I prefer watermarks, myself, but a javascript pop up preventing a right click save is a-okay in my book. It's the people who insist on trying to disable Source views because they don't want people looking at how they did their page that bothers me. The internet is open-source, whether it's called that or not. Pages are distributed with full source in tact for the viewing and even modificatoin by others. I can't stand people infringing on that. Sorry.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you said you're not as P'd off as you seem - your previous post made you sound like you had a right cob on!!

Like I said, I look at code too and happen to think there's nothing wrong in that. I'm also more than willing to share my code too - for what it's worth! This all said though, if somebody puts a no-right-click in to stop me looking at the code, I don't get the hump. I merely go to file> edit with frontpage and look at the page that way or save the page to my desktop and study it from there instead

Fortunately for the web designers involved, I have enough scruples to just study it and not duplicate it!!