SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop down menu with top level images

Can someone send me in the right direction? My website http://www.jalc.org/ has 6 main rollover buttons (i.e. PERFORMANCE, EDUCATION, JAZZ RADIO, SUPPORT JAZZ, VENUES & RENTALS, ABOUT US)

I need to add drop down menus to the existing image mouseover buttons. I don't want to change anything about the image mouseover buttons. If possible I would also like the drop down buttons to be the same color as the top level image mouseover color.

I tried creating CSS drop down menus and was successful but I can get it to work with the mouseovers.

I working example is http://www.safeway.com The top level buttons are images.

Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated. I need to figure this out fast. Thank you.

Example of breakdown...

PERFORMANCE

sub-menu 1
    sub-menu 2
    sub-menu 3
    sub-menu 4

EDUCATION

sub-menu 1
    sub-menu 1a
    sub-menu 1b
    sub-menu 1c

sub-menu 2
    sub-menu 2a
    sub-menu 2b

sub-menu 3
    sub-menu 3a
    sub-menu 3b
    sub-menu 3c
    sub-menu 3d
    sub-menu 3e

sub-menu 4
    sub-menu 4a
    sub-menu 4b

JAZZ RADIO

sub-menu 1
    sub-menu 2
    sub-menu 3
    sub-menu 4

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott

See you managed it. How did you do it? Got a link please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up View Source

Uhh Sanc you could always right click on empty space in a website and go down to view source. And good job ScottNYC. That looks very professional but the only thing that you might want to change is when you rollover the the text in the submenus you get the editting cursor. To change this make the text links.
    HTMLGuy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sanc- after a week and a half of trying various CSS drop-down menu methods I found that none of them working on all the browsers that I needed them to work on. Every CSS drop-down menu method that I used looked different on Mac IE and Mac Safari compared to how it looked on Windows IE, Firefox, et cetera... Finally, someone told me to check out Macromedia Dreamweaver's built in "Behaviors" for mouseovers and pop up menus. For less than 2 days I played around with the Macromedia Dreamweaver "Beahviors" with the mouseovers and pop up menus and it worked perfectly. I tested it in Windows and Mac browsers and it looked identical. The only pitfall was that Macromedia Dreamweaver tools increased the file size of the pages I placed the drop-down menus on. I was previously made aware of this by a friend. However, I ran a stress & performance test on the pages with the drop-down menus and every page loaded well under 10 seconds, which I understand is the industry recommended standard for web page load time.

htmlguy- thanks for the compliment. Why would I want to have the editing cursor on the text sub menus on rollover? The link is on the entire box not just the text. Do you have a link of an example of this so I can check it out? Thanks.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguy
    Uhh Sanc you could always right click on empty space in a website and go down to view source.
    I did but there's .asp files so couldn't see all the code... I think.

Thanks anyway Scott, I've found some dhtml generators which I'll check out

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sanc- i tried some of those dhtml generators but the output looked different on Windows IE and Mac IE browsers. Just so you know.

The ASP code has nothing to do with the drop-down menus. All code relevant to the drop-down menus can be seen in the source. If you need any help let me know.