SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

installation configuration Mysql/Win98

Using Mysql v.3.23.38-max-debug, Apache 1.3.19 Win32.
    Starting Apache 1st as console ap. No problems. Open DOS prompt window, cd to MYSQL\BIN, type "mysql" and get ERROR 2003, can't connect to Mysql Server on 'localhost' (10061). Still at the DOS prompt. Use three-fingered salute (CNTRL+ALT+DEL) and discover that I have 2 Winoldap running. 1st is Apache. 2nd is mysql, but it's not running.
    'End Task' on 2nd Winoldap and get message that program is not responding. 'End Task' anyway. Go back to DOS prompt and try "mysqld" This time I get the message that the program can't initialize the InnoDB 'inno_data_file_path' is not set. Then I type 'mysql' and it works. I'm welcomed to the mysql monitor and I can fat-finger all the code I can handle. It all seems to work fine. Even the quit command.
    But after I quit I still show 'mysqld' running in background. End Task and the pop-up says the program is not responding. End Task again and it goes away.
    What's wrong where?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I seriuosly suggest you use the WinMySQLadmin client to startup and shutdown the mySQL server.....

Also with apache installed you could install php and phpMyAdmin to easily enter/retrieve data from the database...
    its all form based and you don't even need to know any SQL.....
    it also suppourts entering your own SQL statements if you are familiar with the SQL language

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Managed to get the Winmysqladmin to work. Looks like a pretty good tool. Now, I've got to read the manual and be sure my configuration settings are correct. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks again for the support.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Paul_M
    Hi

I seriuosly suggest you use the WinMySQLadmin client to startup and shutdown the mySQL server.....

Also with apache installed you could install php and phpMyAdmin to easily enter/retrieve data from the database...
    its all form based and you don't even need to know any SQL.....
    it also suppourts entering your own SQL statements if you are familiar with the SQL language
    Thanks for the tip. Got WinMySQLadmin up and running. Now, where do I find phpMyAdmin? Been looking high and low. All I can find is version for 3.0. I'm using php 4.0.5 for Win32. I really don't want to muck about in backward compatibility issues. I also don't want to reinvent the wheel, if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DCE
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    All I can find is version for 3.0.
    phpMyAdmin is separate software from php, so the version number is not going to be the same as php. Any version is fine because it is very simple software. In fact, my beginning php book leads the reader through the steps to create a similar app.