SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website on CD...

This may be a silly question as I have put together numerous sites for clients...

Do you normally give your clients a copy of all their web files and graphics (PSD, fla, etc) on CD? Is it an added service? Do you charge for it? Is it provided only when they ask?

I would really appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.
    Jeff Dudley
    www.DudleyDesigns.com
    "Powerful Web Imaging"

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their rights to original files and source code depends on your initial written contract/agreement with them. In my contract I state that the client has rights to any html source code, images, and other files needed to alter the website. I will provide them on CD for an extra charge (minimal) if asked. I've not been asked since I added that clause to my contract, but the clients like to know they can take the site elsewhere if they have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I am hosting the site I normally wouldn't give them a cd. It has never come up.

I have several clients that host their own sites in house and I don't get access to their servers, so delivery on cd is the only option and is arranged at the start of the project.

Source files such as PSD or FLA would be an extra charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if it is files required to reproduce the website in case something goes wrong.
    And I'd guess it would be a great thing to have in your contract. The client gets the feeling that he's paying for something real. Something he/she can put away in his/her home for safe keeping

A good idea IMHO. I'd charge the price of the cd and a minimal service fee. 10 bucks!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually send them the source files. That way, I have a back up in case all my back ups fail. Plus I give it to them as a courtesy. I tell them they might not know / understand what it is, but they will appreciate it at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it is possibly a good idea to give them a full copy on CD including the Source but this also depends on what level of copyright they have on it.

For example if you have done a lot of graphics work but dont intend to include full transfer of copyright for this work then you wouldnt include the source files, i would expect to offer this as an additional extra at a agreed upon fee. Although if you plan to do something like this the client should be aware of this before you do it or you may end up with some irrate clients.
    Joel Brown - Orion Networks
    Techie-Central New Updated Style and Forums
    Stores - Books | PHP | Point of Sale | Pocket Drives

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be wary of giving them copies of source files - while only you possess these files, only you can make updates to the site. So if the client wants to change the text in a logo, you get the job. This seems to be standard practice for the graphic design companies I have worked with while designing sites for a client (they NEVER send me the original source files of a logo when I request it, just a high res flat file version).

I guess there are also issues regarding the use of licensed fonts - if I've paid 50 for a font, I can't just hand over a copy of that font with the source files as it's not mine to hand over.

Of course you should make this restriction very clear in your contract.

SitePoint Evangelist bronze trophy Derek Sheppard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tax issues involved for me. If I provide the development, programming and setup for a website, it's a service and not subject to state sales tax. If I provide a website on disk, it's a product and taxable.

To avoid this I invoice the client for the completed work. After they have paid, I send a 'backup disc' along for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points. Thank you.
    Jeff Dudley
    www.DudleyDesigns.com
    "Powerful Web Imaging"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've actually been considering buying one of those cd label printers later on this year, so I could make a custom cd, with my branding and contact details, and maybe the title of their site and a "Thanks" on the bottom. These could be sent out to local clients to whom I did larger-size work for.

And also sending it to them by surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giving a CD sounds like a good idea to me. Even if it's not in the contract, it's always a good idea to give extra service, and exceed the customer's expectations.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective