SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Use of Other's Logo

hello friends,
    We are about to launch a new website, we have few issues, regarding which we need your views. As we are a web development company, we offer programming services, so can we use the logos of Oracle, MySQL,OsCommerce,PhpNuke to suggest that we offer solutions based on these.

We would like to know, is it legal to use their logo/icons in our website? Please let us know your views.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webnewtons
    hello friends,
    We are about to launch a new website, we have few issues, regarding which we need your views. As we are a web development company, we offer programming services, so can we use the logos of Oracle, MySQL,OsCommerce,PhpNuke to suggest that we offer solutions based on these.

We would like to know, is it legal to use their logo/icons in our website? Please let us know your views.

Thanks
    I'd be very cautious with Oracle. In theory, you could be busted on trademark infringement by any of them (assuming it's without permission), but I'd think that the open sourcers would be more likely to be nice and send a letter. A company the size of Oracle spends a lot of time, money and effort to secure their brand; I wouldn't go slinging their logo around without their permission, any more than I would Microsoft's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically if you are just offering services for these products, you won't have a problem. But when you use someone elses property, it is always best to ask permission. More than likely they won't mind. I have never had problems displaying most logos on a site that I offered services for provided I sent them a quick email or letter explaining my intent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thanks to all who replied to the post.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many companies like this have specific guidelines on using their logo: everything from requiring the logo be linked to their site to displaying a disclaimer to only reproducing the logo in black on a white background with 10px of padding around it. Often they'll have a page on who is entitled to display their logo and how they're entitled to display it on their website somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grademedia
    Many companies like this have specific guidelines on using their logo: everything from requiring the logo be linked to their site to displaying a disclaimer to only reproducing the logo in black on a white background with 10px of padding around it. Often they'll have a page on who is entitled to display their logo and how they're entitled to display it on their website somewhere.
    Yes, most of the major trademarks have all these issues planned out so it's just a case of reading and searching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you do put the logo on your site, your should be courteous, and link it to the company's homepage.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    When you do put the logo on your site, your should be courteous, and link it to the company's homepage.
    That would be the least you could do... But some trademarks require more (sometimes much more!).