SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bulletin Board Systems

Hi,

i'm not exactly sure if this forum or general chat is better.

me and a few other developers are creating a bbs in php/mysql and are lookingfor some ideas - if anyone could also answer these questions, i would appreiate it.

Is MySQL or Flat Files better? (or two optinions)

Should we charge for this software (assuming it is as good quality as vb) how much should we charge?

does anyone know any ways of protecting from cgi-warez?

which is better? lots of control over styles or a template system?

whatsthe advantage of mysql_pconnect over a stanadard mysql_connect?

Thanks, Alex

oh - and if your interested in beta testing, contact me at a.cutts@blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers!
    Nearly 7 years old!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the bulletin board market is saturated.. there are excellent free [ phpBB ] and paid [ vbull ] forums already out there.. and they are reasonably priced.. i dun think we need another one.. why not take a look at writing a CMS?
    i dunno...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bulletin Board Systems

Originally posted by AlexC
    Is MySQL or Flat Files better?
    MySQL by a long shot.

Should we charge for this software (assuming it is as good quality as vb) how much should we charge?
    We have to see the product first to answer either of these questions.

does anyone know any ways of protecting from cgi-warez?
    If you put it on the internet, expect some piracy. There's no way around it.

which is better? lots of control over styles or a template system?
    Both (a la vBulletin).

whatsthe advantage of mysql_pconnect over a stanadard mysql_connect?
    In very general terms, mysql_connect is better for smaller sites on virtual hosts, and mysql_pconnect is better for medium/larger sites on a dedicated box.

Originally posted by kunal
    i think the bulletin board market is saturated
    I agree with this to an extent.
    I do think that you would get very far if you wrote a very good, comprehensive CMS.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mysql_pconnect is better for high traffic sites, as it keeps a connection to the mySQL database open even in between script executions, curtting down on the time needed to establish a connection. The best solution is to have all of your database access code stuffed away in a custom class or function, that way you can change the entire site from using mysql_connect to using mysql_pconnect by altering a few lines of code.

A template system is much more favourable than a style system - I hate having to reply on styles to customise things due to the inherently bad CSS support in Netscape 4 (which is still a very widespread browser, especially in universities and for people who use linux as their OS).

If you're going to charge for it it needs to be excellent and have some kind of unique feature that no one else has - lets face it, vBulletin is an incredibly impressive script and pretty much dominates the market now (UBB is just a waste of time).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by kunal
    i think the bulletin board market is saturated.. there are excellent free [ phpBB ] and paid [ vbull ] forums already out there.. and they are reasonably priced.. i dun think we need another one.. why not take a look at writing a CMS?
    This was our original plan -- until we took a look at http://www.aroze.com (which i imaginewill be greatwhen it comes out)

but we may change the project now
    Nearly 7 years old!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Just want to ask for some comments on CMS.. Have anyone used Typo3 ?

How is your opinion on Typo3 ? http://www.typo3.com ?
    Ngu I.P.
    Web Developer

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS?

I can't see investing the time in building a CMS system. Anyone who would buy a CMS script would probably be able to pay for a developer to make a CMS that was fit perfectly to their needs. I can through together a basic system in like half an hour from scratch!

My knowledge of PHP and Java is still weak, but I would never even look at another solution. Custom built is perfect, where as a template run CMS would be noticeable to the user. If you want to look at an already almost flawless CMS system take a look see at atomz.com.

Take care, and invest your time learning and working on a contract basis for someone. Also, if you feel compelled to build something, go with a shopping cart. Besides phpShop there is very little out there. Make it connect to not only cybercash but other services, and allow paypal integration. Make it so the shopper has the option to signup or not. Tracking of the order built into the system. I can think of a major need for a better phpShop in this world!

God Bless,

Alex Stanton
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services