SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How must a good portfolio look like? Any templates?

Topic says all
    NicheStars - microblogs-network-cms for serious niche marketers.
    Maintain 1000s of blogs on 100s hosts from SINGLE CONTROL PANEL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from someone who hires, it depends on the content of said portfolio.

If your resume is chock-full-o-recognizable names and lead positions at strong companies, your portfolio can be black on white typewritten with a list of URLs.

If your work experience isn't quite so stellar then you better impress with the delivery as well.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point...

from my own personal experience, sometimes a flashy portfolio/resume can actually HURT your chances.

When I first started looking for a job in design (web or print) I had been doing design privately for about 2.5 years. I decided that was what I wanted to do and so whipped up a resume.

It was darn cool looking, BUT it was not really practical, especially since I did not have proof of the work to back it up. It was printed double sided with a cabinet door fold (right down the middle opening both ways). The inside was done to simulate a computer monitor and mouse.

I never got one call, even though I had all the necessary skills.

ces't la vie eh?
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of the 'minimalist' white-background-no-decoration look. Let 100% of the attention go to the thumbnails of your portfolio. Don't even have text (except for maybe a heading).

Have wide thumbnails, say 200x150. Let the user click on a thumbnail to get a page with samples of that project and information on the project.

Just ideas. I haven't got a personal portfolio up and running yet...

One more thing - the text "Click on one of the [images|thumbnails]" helps identify them as clickable. Have it in small grey type or something...
    Last edited by mmj; May 30, 2001 at 14:23.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't a portfolio site at least show some of your (design) skills? People always taught me it was important to make a good first impression. Packaging in regular product design has gained importance through the years, and I think it also gains importance in webdesign. Companies want their Corporate Identity to be reflected in their website...I think a designer needs to show that he/she's able to do this in his/her own website...a white/no decoration page doesn't really fit in that viewpoint.

from my own personal experience, sometimes a flashy portfolio/resume can actually HURT your chances.
    That's true! But that also depends on what you're aiming for. I work fulltime, and in my free time, I do freelance Flash design (banners, games, teasers, & fullsites). I don't want to make all HTML sites, because I do that during my daytime...So for me, there is no reason why I would not do my portfolio in Flash (although I do have it in regular HTML as well).
    Last edited by flux; Jun 3, 2001 at 04:38.