Thread: Css & Ns 6

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Css & Ns 6

heeelp.

I am doing a really simple form, residing in a couple of tables. Each table has resident bg color to please the eye (ok, it's simple, but long!). To comply with CSS2, I have to include background colour in my definitions for td, p, th etc. I didn't wan't to rely on css completely for this form, as its very important that NS4.7 users can see it ok. When I set the background-color to "transparent" my stylesheet, in IE & Opera it does just that, it doesn't affect the inline table definition, leaves my table colour alone and the world is a happy place.

In NS6 however, the definition overrides the inline colour, meaning that the page background image is visable, making the form far less pleasant on the eye. Any ideas???? Leaving out the background-color in the stylesheet means it works, but I can't have the pretty css2 *tick* symbol

Thanks,

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    link?
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.muzoring.com/tabletest/testtable.html

Design needs severe revamp, form elements not complete etc, but its the css thing that's bugging me....

thanks

H

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar situation where I was applying a particular style to my form elements, but in NN6 the CSS destroyed the page.

My solution was to place a Javascript on the form page that loaded either an IE stylesheet or a NN stylesheet. In the NN stylesheet, I removed all of the CSS that messed up the page.

The result was that at least the page looks the way I wanted it to in IE. NN uses will see the form without the styles.

Will something like that solve your problem? If so I can post the Javascript code.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be misunderstanding the problem but could you not just define the td style to have the same colour background as the bgcolor of the table?

Using this method, N4 users would use the inline table bgcolor whereas others with css supporting browsers would use the colour defined in the css. It would mean that you'd have to keep both colours in synch, but that's not a huge deal.

One other thing to try is setting the td background-color to 'inherit' as it may pick up from the inline bgcolor (not sure about this though).

I haven't got N6 installed at home so I haven't been able to test these suggestions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look at what I uploaded. Without the form definition NS4.7 really messes it up - but that's not the problem . Have different colored tables within the form Shane - but I think I'll go with your solution and just define a couple of different classes. Thanks.

H