SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Windows and some characters

I have installed a program that has messed up my Windows 98 settings. I have a keyboard with Swedish characters (there are three extra letters compared to English.) In Windows I have installed the Swedish keyboard language and layout. Now the Swedish å, ä, ö characters don’t display properly. This happens when I’m saving a document and type the characters in the “File name” field. Dreamweaver has the same problem in the design window. The strange thing is that the characters display correctly in Word, IE and some other programs.
    I have reinstalled the Swedish keyboard language layout but that doesn’t help. What should I try next?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the screen font that is used in windows does not have these characters? Is this possible? Try some other fonts in your "appearance" settings.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I tried that my Windows crashed! (I hope that XP will be more stable.... ) Before I try that again I'm going to explore autoexec.bat. My dad thinks that some values have been changed there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marina,

Go to the Control Panel and click the Regional Settings and check if Swedish is the selected option.

In autoexec.bat must be a line mode con codepage select=XXX where XXX is the code for Sweden, but this is only for DOS sessions.

Paul