SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Q: If I Build It Will They Come?

It's the preconeved notion that we build and wait; we spend and expect something in return, moreover; we were not designing the site or idea on a foundation with the building blocks to business development & growth. So my question to the fellow Sitepoint members is what steps have you taken from day one of your website to go from no visitors to a sucess or financial satisfaction in your own terms.

I ask this as I contemplate the future of Ceular.com (electronic auction website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paid advertising and, to a much lesser extent, word-of-mouth.
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

And, of course, search engine optimisation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukie
    It's the preconeved notion that we build and wait; we spend and expect something in return, moreover; we were not designing the site or idea on a foundation with the building blocks to business development & growth. So my question to the fellow Sitepoint members is what steps have you taken from day one of your website to go from no visitors to a sucess or financial satisfaction in your own terms.
    I conducted a broad general PR campaign over a period of about a year, focused primarily on written articles (which fit, seeing that I'm a writer); that eventually drove a lot of decent linking back to my site, which helped tremendously with the search engines. I've done a number of other strategies, some working better than others. SEO helps, as does posting regularly on forums. Strangely enough, though, what made the most significant difference was having a really good professional designer do my business cards and stationary.

I give those cards out like they're candy. I mail them to new prospects. I've left them at UPS Stores. Wherever there's an opportunity, by gum, there's a card. The cards are fairly unique - thicker than normal (100lb paper), on line laid stock, two-sided printing. They stick out, and they tend to get kept at least for novelty. I get a lot of out-of-the-blue service inquiries from people who just found themselves one day in possession of a card.

The best way I've found though to create traffic quick is also the simplest: a short, sticky, easy-to-remember domain name, reproduced as many times as possible in both the online and offline worlds. That alone will do the job.