User Tag List

Thread: clean lines

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clean lines

I am very interested in web design and have worked hard to hone my skills...but I have yet to be able to make my lines clean...can someone please help!! I have enclosed a link to give an example of what I am trying to do.
    http://www.smartforce.com/corp/marketing/

The above link has very clean graphics.
    Dawg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by 'clean lines?' Do you mean straight single-pixel lines and straight edges like the boxes, or clean lines like the cut-out image of the thoughful looking woman?

For clean straight lines, one thing especially is to make your graphics gifs. If you have simple images like the ones at the site, that are only a few colors than gifs are great. They are small and don't change the quality at all. If you use jpg's for images like that than it becomes fuzzy when you reduce the file size.

There are also a few html tags you can use to make lines and such. Tables can have solid color borders, or you can use cellspacing to make spaces like in this here forum

If you mean you want to cut out elemnts of an image like the woman than you'll have to use your image edtiing program There are quite a few different ways; i myself either use the color select tool and choose all the colors i don't want - or if there are too many colors present to do THAT I erase the background freehand with my mouse. That method can be really hard but I've practiced a lot and have become very efficient at it, i think.
    Alone last
    Just nostalgia and I
    We were sure to have a blast...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean lines

Thanks, I was talking about the cleanness of the site...but you gave me more than enough info I will try all of the above and see what happens...again thanks
    Dawg
    Do you have a site I love seeing new stuff.
    Dawg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want clean lines on an image you are cutting out and you are using Photoshop, I would suggest using the pen tool and not the color wand. This way you can get exactly what you want no matter what colors there are and it is also a lot cleaner. Just check my avatar on the left and see! I used the pen tool and removed my self from the background of all the 8 pics.

If you want clean straight lines like on that site then you will want to turn "Anti-Aliasing" on the line tool off and use Shift to draw a clean, straight, vertical or horizontal line. Also, if you want a clean angled line, turn "Anti-Aliasing" back on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, glad i could help.

Yup, theres a link right there ^ to my site, complete with fuzzy old layout. http://www.envy.nu/fringey.

I don't use photoshop, i'm too cheap and very happy with my psp, so i don't know anything about what the tools in it are like. The color wand only works in some cases, it depends on what you are planning to do with the cut-out image, and what was in the background in the first place.
    Alone last
    Just nostalgia and I
    We were sure to have a blast...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean Lines?
    Are you refering to a neat design involving lines? =)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you refer to the antialiasing.

The site you posted has antialiased (and very clean-looking) diagonal lines, which obviously are all rendered graphics as GIF.

Antialiasing occurs when a sharp geometric object is created at 2 or 3 (or more) times the desired resolution, and then scaled down with some averaging. You have to make sure that the important parts of your lines line up in the final product etc etc.

Many graphics programs do antialiasing for you these days, including many of the new vector illustration programs (my new version of CorelDRAW does, which is great).

To obtain the diagonal lines on that particular site, lots and lots of images have been created to seamlessly match up the diagonals, because as we all know tables and images are all rectangular.

[edit]
    Correction - my mistake. The diagonal lines aren't antialiased. But most of the images are including the advertisments, logo, buttons and the woman.
    Last edited by mmj; May 30, 2001 at 15:44.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff