User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation SSI and Javascript within DHTML Menu

Hello.

I am currently using Sothink DHTML menu creator to create a slide out menu for a "latest projects" section on a website. the website is www. k k - b u i l d e r s dot com. you will notice the slide out feature on the left side.

I have a content management utility that can edit the site but is not exactly dynamic. it simply edits the page and saves itself on the server. CMS system is WebEdit Pro from www.interspire.com

Anyways, I can add html as a menu item, which i did, and you can see that it displays the html fine... however, I need to be able to edit that html easily within the CMS system and for that I wanted to create an include file with the html used in the menu... however, the include file would have to be inserted within the javascript of the menu to display and that just doesnt work. I have researched a bit about CSI (client-side Includes) but cannot seem to integrate this method successfully.

I am out of options and thought since i have like all of the site-point books and of course never read them due to lack of time, i would see how the forum can help me...

anyways, I need to be able to add pictures dynamically to that slide-out menu item within the CMS by just opening the include file and adding content and saving it... can this be done? is there another way to create this effect like auto-hiding and then showing html in the file? I thought of that using css or something, but i really like the "fade" effect i get with dhtml.

Thanks for reading! Hoping someone can help!

Regards,
    Michael

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you really want to hide the menu from search engines.

You should use a more powerful server side language than SSI, like PHP for this.

Why don't you just edit the CMS system to allow you to edit JS files?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Do you really want to hide the menu from search engines.

You should use a more powerful server side language than SSI, like PHP for this.

Why don't you just edit the CMS system to allow you to edit JS files?
    its not a navigational menu. did you look at the site? its just a pop-out html snippet... I only used dhtml and javascript because i like the slide out effect it creates... otherwise i would use a show/hide html method...

I dont know how to program in php so that option is out of the question...

the cms system is a package deal. I cannot modify it. I can allow it to read and edit js files, however, this is not for me. and im sure my customer wont be able to do that easily or at all... i need to be able to open an html file within the cms system and add and remove pics that will ultimately display in that pop-out snippet on the home page.. but using include files is not going to work.

Regards,
    MAK

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, Dreamweaver.

The JavaScript needed to do something like this is rather complicated. It would be easier to use PHP for this.

I'm curious, what languages do you know?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.