SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handling Hiring?

One of my sites has started to get to big for me to handle (updates, requests, approvals, support, etc). The way its growing, I have no idea if Iím going to be able to keep up with it. I have a full time job and my sites have always been a way to make extra cash. Anyway.. Iím just wondering how the rest of you do it. Does anyone have people that they hire to do support and other simple admin related tasks? Are there companies that will do this? (oh no.... Another idea....STOP ME)

I would like to hear what others are doing besides quitting their jobs
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally do this full time but know of numerous people who have other full times jobs that hired somebody to do all the maintenance for their sites. Most just get somebody and either tell them to work a certain number of hours per week or just get that person to tally up their total hours each week.

Obviously the second way could get you in trouble if your hired help decided he wanted to work an 80 hour week.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think hiring someone to admin tasks will pay off in the long run but I don't think you'll see a ROI (Return on Investment) for 2-3 yrs. There was a study done saying that yes, it is worth it to hire someone to do these type things but you have to be willing to train them and realize that their work won't really be noticeable (in a large sense) for a while.

When you are hiring make sure that the person understands what they will be doing and that there will be a lot of administrative type things. I guess you could describe the job as being similiar to a secretary (though I wouldn't use that terminology).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right I agree, in my case I think it would be noticeable. I think I'll end up asking a couple of my members who are always on the site to do it. But the hard part will be implementing something that only gives them access to what I want them to have access to... some kind of tweaked admin panel.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!