SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serverside project - can I do it and how ?

ok I am not experienced with serverside and kinda shy away from it each time I look into it.. Well now I got a good reason to learn a serverside language...

Heres what I have been asked to do....

My company's (a computer games publisher) marketing dept is contantly dealing with enquiries for game literature and graphics from people in the gaming industry.. They often send out the same content to many people when asked for it.. This can range from game descriptions to high res art work..

So it seems a good idea to create a press site with all of this info on where people can be pointed towards...

What would be perfect would be to have a template.

i.e

GAME NAME
    DESCRIPTION
    BOXSHOT
    SCREENSHOTS
    PRESS RELEASE (word format)
    HIGH RES ART LINKS

etc.......

Then there could be a list of games and people could access all the info they needed...

However our marketing people need to be able to add this in themselves with an online form..

Perhaps you could have a form that passes each form element accross into the template ? I guess there would also need to be an uploading feature for graphics.. Would high res art be a prob here ?

My main q is what would you go with for this ? ASP or PHP ?

We only have nt servers but if php is going to be a lot better it would make sense to sort out a unix server for this as it is an important project...

So hich would be the best for the job ?

where should I start ?

I am gonna sit down and do KEvin Yanks tutorial in a week and I know that will help me. Perhaos I could creat something simular to the joke thing....

Is this possible for me or is it too big a project ?

I basically need pointing in the right direction and your ideas on how to approac the project

Looking forward to your replies..

Cloughie
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP and PHP Will both do what you want (ColdFusion and JSP too for that matter)

What you use should come down to server requirements and personal preference.

If you have absolutely no programming experience you'll probably find ColdFusion easiest. If you've experience with C derived languages like Javascript you'll probably find JSP and PHP easy (though PHP would be easier simply because at this point there are more resources for it)

If you have experience with Visual Basic or VBscript you should use ASP.

Server requirements. All of them will run on NT. If you want to use advanced features ColdFusion will cost money - but I think you won't require advanced features with what you're doing (assuming you only want to use access as your db backend). ASP comes preinstalled along with IIS. They all should be able to connect to whatever database you decide to use so it really comes down to personal preference.

I wrote an article here that describes the basics of how a db driven site works if you don't really understand that yet.

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php?aid=295
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cloughie.

Judging by the fact that WannaBeBig.com (a personal venture of yours) uses .php pages, I'm going to assume you have some mild experience with it. In that case, you know what I recommend, but I don't want to echo what everyone else is likely to say here.

I talked to Chris about CFM a bit, and learned a few things I know before -- mainly that Cold Fusion is free, assuming you're willing to use Access or MySQL as your backend. Thanks for answering my questions Chris.

It doesn't appear that you'll need any highly advanced features to accomplish what you want here, so it comes down to what your company whats, what their server supports, and, if all that is equal, the strength of online training. That last reason is why PHP is so popular on these forums.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually apparently since the merge with macromedia allaire has discontinued their free version of coldfusion (ColdFusion Express Server) but you may be able to find it elsewhere online.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums