Thread: Help wanted....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help wanted....

Hey,

First off I hope I posted this in the right place, I couldn't find a more appropriate place. (Don't kill me now SitePoint Mods )

Secondly, I need help with a project I am working on.

I need an advanced PHP scripter to help out with the development of a PHP Forum system (http://www.stardotsoftware.co.uk/starbulletin/index.php)

Specificly I need someone who can write a PHP, Object Orientated template system similar to SmartyTemplate (http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/)

The system needs to be able to "compile" the html templates into PHP code, for quick execution. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, but think you fit the rest of our needs then check out the SmartyTemplate link above.

It is a rather large and complex task, so be warned. But if your up to it you can either email me at: webmaster@stardotsoftware.co.uk or post at the forum (url above), please include any extra details you think are appropriate!

PLEASE NOTE: StarBulletin is a NON-PROFIT project and so there will be no payment in any shape or form available.....leave the bad news for last

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

What about options on a few million shares of stock?
    Last edited by 7stud; May 28, 2001 at 19:07.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL - The only thing we can offer is that good feeling you get when you help do something for nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK _ I admit that when I read this my first impression was that you were someone who didn't know how to code PHP looking for someone else to write stuff for you. I've just had a look at that site though and it's looking very impressive

Unfortunately there's no way I could help out with such a project - I've got my own bits and pieces to work on at the moment (ssLinks and the new ssNews) and have hardly any spare time as it is.

Good luck finding someone to help with the template side of the project - it might be worth trying posting on the PHP Builder forums as well

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comments! - Most appreciated.

Oh, and I'll just point out now, that I *DO* know PHP and have enough knowledge to finish writing the forum script.

However I haven't studied much on the Object Orientated side of PHP, mainly because I saw no real benefit in doing things that way.

All I need is someone to be able to write this template system, which would be far too time consuming for me as I am writing the actuall forum script. If they wanted they could also become part of the "team". But it's entirely up to them.

Thanks again! - I will try the PHPBuilder Forums!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering.. whats the real advantage of using the Smarty System.

Doesn't it mix PHP (or some sort of code) and HTML? Isn't that just like ordinary PHP coding?

Won't it be better to use something like FastTemplate or PHPlib's template class? That keeps the coding and HTML completely apart. I prefer this method.

The only problem is PHP has to read the template file from disk everytime. I wish there was a way to cache variables permanently in memory.

Arpith

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of the SmartyTemplate system is that you can do whatever you want.

It allows you to completely change the html of any script without the user having to go in and edit the PHP which in some cases can be quite complicated expecially for novices.

Technically it does mix some kind of code with html, but in many cases that is needed.

The best thing however is that because on the first "run" it will compile the template into PHP, so that there will be no decreases in speed.

But in the end it's up to you. I just like the control and power SmartyTemplate gives me

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why reinvent the wheel? Why not just use Smarty in your application? It is released under the LGPL, which means you are free to use it, commercially or not.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking about doing that! - But there are some extar features I would like, I suppose I could allwyas hack those in.

Anyway thanks for that, I'll go do some more thinking...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is the beauty of Smarty. Although the template language is quite feature rich, you can add your own custom functions to the language easily.