SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got scammed :(

I had a open competition and i announced the winner. I told the guy he won. He told me to send him the money to his paypal address. I did instantly after i responded to his pm. After i sent him the money only mins after we where chatting he was no where to be found and would not answere my emails or anything. I would like to get in contact with a mod so someone can investigate this person further. I already filed a dispute with paypal.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

That's no good, How long has it been since you sent the payment, maybe they are just slow.

I am in no way defending them, as I am not involved but maybe there is still hope.

Hope you get it straightened out!

SitePoint Enthusiast UrbanFirefly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did the right thing reporting through Paypal. Hopefully you also paid by credit card. That is the safest way, since I believe that Paypal has rules against covering electronically delivered content.

Hopefully Paypal will be helpful. About three years ago I had a situation through eBay where I never received an item, and Paypal refunded my money. It was a bit of a pain, but worth it for $50.00. Last year I received a broken item, and they were not nearly so helpful, since they had several more layers (hoops) to go through, and I did not recover my money.

If the amount is large enough, you also can report it through the FBI. It is a federal crime to use anything controlled by the FCC for fraud, and in the US the internet qualifies. You would most likely never see anything come of it, but I feel that it is important to report such things even so because eventually the laws will be written and enforced.

Hopefully the mods will be able to help too.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there being slow on purpose. I mean we where in the middle of transfering everything and it took me 1 min to send the money. I mean if he decided to go to bed in the middle of the transaction and not tell me hey man sorry but im going to bed that's messed up. I don't think that's right making someone wait 8-10 hours. I'm doing this project for a client and this guy just flakes on me after i fullfiled my end of the bargan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a1nerd, please in future can you contact me directly, there are many reason why this could have happened and I don't believe its fair to assume the worst without even asking why.

Please PM me the full details and link etc and I will contact the person.

Thread closed
    Regular user