User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: inheritance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

We could use an abstract class here but we use an interface because it allows more flexibility.

May you tell me advantages of using interface instead of abstract class?
    (By code ,Please)

Of course what you posted was interesting,But my discussion is:

What are advantages of using interface instead of Multiple inheritance?

Ok?

It seems what you posted is about multiple interfaces.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine this: classes B and C inherit class a; class D inherits classes B and C. Or, simpler: classes A and B both have a method called X; class C inherits them both, but provides no implementation for X -- which implementation should it inherit? For more on the subject, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_problem.

In effect, there is not much difference between interfaces and parent classes, except that interfaces have no implementations -- all their methods are abstract. Therefore it is possible to inherit several interfaces at once without fear of diamond of death, because you must make your own implementations anyway.

The behavior is the key word here, because it defines a class' methods -- not their implementations, but signatures, i.e. what parameters do they receive, what types do they return etc. A collection of such signatures make a type of an object, and basically this is what an interface is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abalfazl
    Because PHP does not support multiple inheritance:

PHP Code:
    abstract class AbstractBaseOne {
      abstract function 
    do_this();
    }

abstract class 
    AbstractBaseTwo {
      abstract function 
    do_that();
    }

class 
    Concrete extends <no way to extend AbstractBaseOne and AbstractBaseTwo > {
      function 
    do_this() {
        echo 
    "this";
      }
      function 
    do_that() {
        echo 
    "that";
      }

But this does work:

PHP Code:
    interface AbstractBaseOne {
      function 
    do_this();
    }

interface 
    AbstractBaseTwo {
      function 
    do_that();
    }

class 
    Concrete implements AbstractBaseOneAbstractBaseTwo {
      function 
    do_this() {
        echo 
    "this";
      }
      function 
    do_that() {
        echo 
    "that";
      }

What are advantages of using interface instead of Multiple inheritance?
    Beyond the conceptual simplicity of interfaces, I can't think of any advantages.

Multiple inheritance lets you include functionality in otherwise hetrogenious classes. Mixins (mixing functionality into a class) and duck typing (if it walks like a duck, and walks like a duck.. it might as well be a Duck) provide the advantages of multiple inheritance without the conceptual overhead.

PHP supports duck typing for user objects, but does not support mixins. I believe there are people working on mixin support for PHP.

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was the answer

Hello

Imagine this: classes B and C inherit class a; class D inherits classes B and C. Or, simpler: classes A and B both have a method called X; class C inherits them both, but provides no implementation for X -- which implementation should it inherit? For more on the subject, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_problem. In effect, there is not much difference between interfaces and parent classes, except that interfaces have no implementations -- all their methods are abstract. Therefore it is possible to inherit several interfaces at once without fear of diamond of death, because you must make your own implementations anyway. The behavior is the key word here, because it defines a class' methods -- not their implementations, but signatures, i.e. what parameters do they receive, what types do they return etc. A collection of such signatures make a type of an object, and basically this is what an interface is.

That was the answer,clear and nice,Thanks BerislavLopac

But please explain for me that :

What are advantages of using interface instead of abstract class?

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An abstact class implies you are using inheritance. You can only inherit from one class. You can support many interfaces.

Perhaps instead of asking about a language feature, you might try to ask about the problem you are trying to solve. I find that using composition with a design pattern like the Strategy pattern is able to solve most issues where a naieve look might have you wishing for multiple inheritance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, there is no difference between an interface and an abstract class with *all* the methods abstract. However, a class by definition *can* have implementation, at least in some methods; interfaces were introduced to prevent *any* methods from being implemented.

When you design a class, on an abstract level you don't need the implementations, only the signatures of methods -- those signatures collectively define behavior, and an object with a certain behavior is said to be of a certain type. With interfaces, you say: my class will belong to all of these types. Interfaces are more abstract than classes, even abstract classes.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just reiterating what has been said but interfaces give the flexibility of multiple inheritance without the restrictions. In the abstract class/concrete class model changes in the abstract class would have to be made in all concrete classes whereas with interfaces 'fine-tuning' changes can be made on a class by class basis.

Also since PHP knows the object is_a() type of the interface this can be used to enforce the contractual relationship between class and interface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article

Hello firends

I read this article and someparts of this article aren't clear to me:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ConfusionAboutInheritance

Claiming inheritance is fundamental to OO (as is demonstratably incorrect - there are OO techniques and languages without inheritance), when its used in different ways for several different things
    May someone explain more about that?

What different things are done with inheritance (and how)?

various means of polymorphism and encapsulation:
    delegating state, behavior, or interface definition to a super-class, see InterfaceInheritance and ImplementationInheritance
    delegating behavior to a derived class (virtual method calls)

various means of encapsulation?
    delegating state, behavior, or interface definition to a super-class, see InterfaceInheritance and ImplementationInheritance

delegating behavior to a derived class ?

May someone give me example for these three statements?

Good Luck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Claiming inheritance is fundamental to OO (as is demonstratably incorrect - there are OO techniques and languages without inheritance), when its used in different ways for several different things
    May someone explain more about that?
    I think this message sums it up pretty well: http://mumble.net/~jar/articles/oo.html

Depending on what the background of the person is, you will get different explanations and definitions of the term "Object-Oriented".
    At some point this was so bad, that this paper made it into acm:
    http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=66469 ("My cat is object-oriented")
    Though that was '89. Given the commercial success of certain OO languages in the 90's, for a lot of people their attributes are what defines OO and you'll hear less debate over it (again, depending on who you talk with).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Composition versus Inheritance

Hello

Interesing article:

http://www.artima.com/designtechniques/compoinh.html

Good luck

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    Simplicity. If you have multiple inheritance, and you inherit from two or more classes which define the same method, which one do you use?

Java got out of that particular nightmare by providing support for interfaces, a model which PHP5 has adopted as well.
    Interfaces don't really save you anything, especially considering the loosely typed nature of PHP. They ultimately add up to nothing more than syntactic sugar. Multiple inheritence wouldn't be an issue in PHP if you called parent methods by the class name rather than with parent::

Of course, you can just use composition, and avoid these nasty things altogether.

In most cases, though, the overlapping issues with MI are caused by overdoing it more than anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Etnu
    Interfaces don't really save you anything, especially considering the loosely typed nature of PHP. They ultimately add up to nothing more than syntactic sugar.
    Documentation, perhaps. They don't actually do anything except in type hinting. And I'm not convinced it's a good idea to use type hints, at least until (if) we get namespace support.
    Dagfinn Reiersøl
    PHP in Action / Blog / Twitter
    "Making the impossible possible, the possible easy,
    and the easy elegant"
    -- Moshe Feldenkrais

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dagfinn
    Documentation, perhaps. They don't actually do anything except in type hinting. And I'm not convinced it's a good idea to use type hints, at least until (if) we get namespace support.
    As I said earlier, interfaces make no sense without type hinting, and type hinting has only a limited use without interfaces. So they need each other, but PHP could do very well without either and just go on with duck typing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interfaces in php are useful for reflection-related tasks, for example when creating service object without knowing class name:
    PHP Code:
    $klass find_class_that_implements("MailFunctions");
    $mailer = new $klass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give an example of a find_class_that_implements implementation?

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main benefit of interfaces and type hinting in PHP is that they enforce compliance. If something is not compliant, it is known sooner rather than later. For example, if a engine is passed in to a Car (via its constructor), and it doesn't implement IEngine, then we know there is an error. If we didn't use interfaces, then the error would occur when we try to call a method we expected to be implement in the Engine, but isn't. This stops things going wrong before they do, and ensures everything is how it should be.

This helps in projects with a large amount of developers (and 3rd party code) and, as somebody already mentioned, in documentation. Also, there are other uses that seem to be more advanced options that prop up from time to time (like Dependancy Injection). Still, PHP being a weakly typed language, the uses of interfaces and Type Hinting are not as obvious as in a strongly typed langauge (like Java), where they are a neccessity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It strikes me that statically checking interfaces in a dynamically typed language is misguided, a better solution than copying Java would have been to use dynamic interfaces.

You don't need to statically declare an interface, you can dynamically compare method signatures. Example:

PHP Code:
    interface IEngine
    {
        function 
    start();
    }

class 
    Engine
    {
       function 
    start() { /* ... */ }
    }

class 
    Car
    {
       function 
    Car IEngine $engine )
       {

# works, as Engine::start() exists... 

}

You don't need "implements IEngine" if you compare interfaces instead of types.

</rant off>

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stereofrog
    Interesting, I'm not sure I want the initialization of classes to be based on the order of my requires though

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBTX
    class Car
    {
    function Car ( IEngine $engine )
    {
    # works, as Engine::start() exists...
    }
    }
    And if it doesn't? Calling unknown method is a Fatal, i.e. there is no chance to catch it... With interfaces we can check contract assertions relatively smart (at least it's smarter than prepending each method call with "if method_exists").
    PHP Code:

// extreme primitive
    // Reflection-based improvements possible 

function supports($klass$interface) {
        return !
    array_diff(

get_class_methods($interface),

get_class_methods($klass)
        );
    }

// usage

interface IEngine {
        function 
    start();
        function 
    rattle();
        function 
    stop();
    }

// note there is no "implements" clauses

class GoodEngine {
        function 
    start(){}
        function 
    rattle() {}
        function 
    stop(){}
    }

class 
    FaultyEngine {
        function 
    start(){}
        function 
    stop(){}
    }

function 
    letsDrive($something) {
        if(!
    supports($something'IEngine'))
            return print 
    "no valid engine";
        print 
    "here we go.........";

$something->start();

$something->rattle();

$something->stop();
    }

letsDrive(new GoodEngine());
    letsDrive(new FaultyEngine()); 
    Interesting, I'm not sure I want the initialization of classes to be based on the order of my requires though
    Right, but there must be a reason why they introduced intefaces... I'm just searching for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if it doesn't? Calling unknown method is a Fatal, i.e. there is no chance to catch it...
    Isn't that what type hinting does at the moment? (If not, I'll have to take another look at it )

I'd rather have it throw an exception than fatal on me.

Right, but there must be a reason why they introduced intefaces... I'm just searching for it.
    It might be a bit cynical, but here's my theory: Java is statically typed, and you want to get polymorphism from more than just subclasses via inheritance, so you add interfaces (nothing wrong with that, it is just one step closer to dynamic typing). Java got "enterprise" acceptance. PHP3/4 had a poor object model (arrays), and Zend saw the $$$ so wanted to move out of small developers and into "the enterprise". They thought they'd fix their object model by making it more like an "enterprise" Java one, and so we got interfaces and type hinting.

Interfaces are great in statically typed languages, I'm not sold on them for dynamically typed languages. They feel like cruft, I might be wrong. Proove me wrong please

Using them for dependancy injection is an interesting hack, but I'd rather have real metadata. Currently I'm trying to fake that by using init methods called by ancestor classes, but I'm not loving it. Got any ideas on that? PHPDoc uses formated comments to get documentation out of the code, which is really just another type of meta-data. I wonder if there is a way to write a preprocessor for PHP, not sure it's worth the work though.

Later,
    Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBTX
    Isn't that what type hinting does at the moment? (If not, I'll have to take another look at it )

I'd rather have it throw an exception than fatal on me.
    That's exactly my point. If you don't want a fatal, you have to check contracts before engine does this for you.

It might be a bit cynical, but here's my theory:
    I'd say it's pretty much common. It's really frustrating to see zends hunting corporate money instead of improving engine and language itself.

Interfaces are great in statically typed languages, I'm not sold on them for dynamically typed languages. They feel like cruft, I might be wrong. Proove me wrong please
    Well, it seems that the whole typing/inheritance concept is just a bit obsolete.
    I wonder if there is a way to write a preprocessor for PHP,
    with builtin lexer this shouldn't be that hard...
    not sure it's worth the work though.
    no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if it doesn't? Calling unknown method is a Fatal, i.e. there is no chance to catch it... With interfaces we can check contract assertions relatively smart (at least it's smarter than prepending each method call with "if method_exists").
    So this is fixing a platform issue by adding an unnecessary language issue...

Well, I guess this is what we get when we mix a platform and a language into an common lump.

I've recently discovered CherryPy, which has quite similar concepts to PHP, although based on Python. Which got me thinking about a platform which would take the concepts straight from PHP (such as $_REQUEST, $_SERVER and other suberglobals, default error reporting etc.), but use Python as the language of choice instead of PHP. I even got a name for it -- Phaeton.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want a fatal, you have to check contracts before engine does this for you.
    Yer, I made a note of that myself, and started a thread about it a while back. For example, with PHP you can't do this, as you can in Java

PHP Code:
    class ClickMe {
    public function 
    __construct() {}
    public function 
    doesNotThrowAnExceptionIResponse $response throws IllegalParameterException {
    // ... if not typeof IResponse, then throw an exception
    // ... as apposed to dying with an error
    }
    // ... rest of class

Which in todays languages I would have expected at the very least as well. I would have liked to handle the error myself, surely that isn't too much to ask for huh? Huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    Which in todays languages I would have expected at the very least as well. I would have liked to handle the error myself, surely that isn't too much to ask for huh? Huh?
    What are you saying?

Quote Originally Posted by BerislavLopac
    Which got me thinking about a platform which would take the concepts straight from PHP (such as $_REQUEST, $_SERVER and other suberglobals, default error reporting etc.), but use Python as the language of choice instead of PHP.
    That's one of the things Rails does for Ruby, taking a dynamic scripting language and adding web-aware features. I've not used it, but I assume Django does for Python, you should probably give it a try if you already like Python, though personally I wouldn't want to use a framework that I don't know how to pronounce! I'll have to find a Python podcast and find out

Douglas
    Hello World