SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solutions for contents?

hey,
    I' have a problem. a GENERAL problem, e.i really need to be settled down!. As i design/create sites on my own, without no-one to help me, i can't put fresh contents. And i suppose that is the plus of making visitors come regularly! (updated contents). i can put permanent contents, like biographies (of whoever) or careers,...... but fixtures (of mathes for exemple) or latest results are contents that i can't update (it would be too big for me, updating 5 sites, every week!, full-time job . Could somebody please tell me what to do. i'm also thinking of another problem, banner and affiliates. If i have for exemple many banners at different affiliates, every month, i must visit all the affiliates to check my account!, S-H I-T ! , i will never end!, i've heard of commision junction, is it like other normal small affiliates, just put a banner ???. Because my site will be for teens, i really think the banner should concern teens!, not business or economy. Is there any way of selecting categories of banners ?

Please answer me for the 2 problems above (by the way, is syndicating contents the only solution ?)

Brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - it looks like your problem is that you've got a whole bunch of sites up but you don't have the time to keep on updating them with fresh content.

By far the best solution would be to get some help from other people. Get some site staff together - friends, forum regulars, anyone who you think would be good at helping you update the site. Obviously you don't want to just give people your FTP password and let them get on with it, but this is where server side scripting comes in

The easiest solution is to install a news script such as Newspro on your site. The script allows you to set up user accounts for other people, each with their own username and password. They can then log in and add news to your site.

The next step is to sort out username / password login things that can allow trusted people to edit other bits of the site, again without needing FTP access. This is a content management system, and will generally require you to do some programming. I've seen you on the PHP forums so you're already learning the ideal language for this kind of thing.

Hope that answers your question,

Skunk

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are really trying to make a living out of your websites?

Can't help you much there, the only non-commercial (so to speak) site I've created was a labour of love, so I've somehow managed to find time for updates.

I suppose you could try Blogger.

http://www.blogger.com/

I don't know anything about affliate programs...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your site structure is not changed very often I'd suggest you to build a small database that holds articles and other content items. Content managers will be able to access
    this database through web interface. But in this case your ISP
    must provide you with db access + some scripting environment(ASP,PHP,Perl etc). And your server side script will display
    articles that satisfy certain creterias , say , only the
    ones submitted last 2 weeks. This is a standard scripting
    task.
    Alex
    Certified CodeCharge Developer
    Develop database-connected web sites
    without coding: http://www.codecharge.com
    ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, JSP, Perl, ColdFusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok
    For my site, after thinking for a long time, i suggest of using databases. I will need the use of it for the following "titles"
    "What happened" (Where other teens can share their good/bad experiences
    "Reviews (movies,games,.....)" (Where other teens can give some reviews (bad/good) about such films, games,....)

I thought of building it myself, i mean i create the databases, use some <?php $many-complex-things! = HARD ?>

I really thing it would take Months, and Months for me to learn deeply what it's all about!.Really TUFF. What must i do?, do ya think it's worth making my own content management ???,
    (easy to say, difficult to do!)
    i could loose many time,
    or use a content management system (by the way please tell me one, EASY TO INSTALL!), as someone told me earlier, newspro could do the thing, but it's not really what i need. I need a CMS where USERS can add contents!, understand ?\

Please help me,
    If u didn't understand me, please tell me

BRAIN , Oh sorry! BRIAN
    ( i really sometimes think that i'm a brain (just joking, not showing off )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any other replies ?

Brian

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're currently running five sites, are they all of the same type of content? If they are, then you may want to consider looking at conbining them into one, if not, then take skunks suggestion and create a CMS system, allowing certain people to be able to add and edit content. Not trying to steal your thunder, but are your sites getting enough traffic to warrant keeping them up? You may want to consider consentrating your efforts on one site. Just trying to throw out ideas, not right nor wrong.

God Bless,

Alex Stanton

PS. I don't see the URL's to any of your sites in your profile, would you mind sending me a PM with the URLS?
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services