Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movies

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moonlighting

hmmm -same generation and must confess a fondess for the show - what was the secretary's name though...Mr Pesto or something...help - senility is setting in

H

(confession: Once bought a girlfriend the "Return of Bruno" album by signor Willis.....aaaaargh)
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    I didn't actually see it until it came out on video, because I had initially thought it was some sort of boxing sporty movie.
    Thats the same reason i didnt go see it, the only reason i rented it is because some one in here started talking about (i think it was mmj) and from what they said about it, i thought it might be good.. so i went and rented it...
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh how I wish they re-run that series!!!!! I loved it!!!

These young 'uns don't know what they're missing, do they!!!!

Original H, I had that album too!!!!! <crawls under table to hide embarrassment>
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm - had or have???? - *sings* "under the boardwalk.....down by the seaeyeyey, on a...." *cringes*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: moonlighting

Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    hmmm -same generation and must confess a fondess for the show - what was the secretary's name though...Mr Pesto or something...help - senility is setting in
    Agnes DePesto

and do you remember the word "BOINK"?
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg - - - "BOINK BOINK BOINK BOINK BOINK"

H

"BOINK"

(....aha - "Miss DePesto" - well, easy mistake.... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Return Of Bruno

No....I don't have it anymore. I don't have a cassette player anymore, so I cleared out all my tapes - that one included!!

(Does that raise my street cred a little, or am I still at an all time low for admitting to owning the thing in the first place?!!! )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <totallyofftopic>lol - I know this is unrelated, but since you liked Top Style lite, thought you'd appreciate this link - they just released a time unlimited nagware version of the full product. Only had it 10 minutes....interface worryingly similar to FP2k - but that your tool of choice anyway isn't it?
    Other than that, the features look great.</totallyofftopic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    <totallyofftopic>lol - I know this is unrelated, but since you liked Top Style lite, thought you'd appreciate this link - they just released a time unlimited nagware version of the full product. Only had it 10 minutes....interface worryingly similar to FP2k - but that your tool of choice anyway isn't it?
    Other than that, the features look great.</totallyofftopic>

<chuckles> Beat you to it!!!! </chuckles>

I downloaded this one the other day!!!!

BTW....FP2000 is my 'tool'...not my 'tool of choice' I can't 'choose' as this is the only program I have right now!!!! I'm not good enough to totally hand code just yet, which is what I'm aiming at!!!!!

I think we'd better get back on topic now....

<sings - off key and out of tune> under the boar-oar-oardwalk, down by the sea-ea-ea-ea-yeah, on a blanket with my bay-be's where ay-all be </sings - off key and out of tune>
    Last edited by Saz249; May 29, 2001 at 12:35.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok people, what's wrong with Starship Troopers? I'll take you all on!

I actually have the book on my Amamzon wishlist, and Captain Thingy's Mandolin too. When I place my nexy order I will get them both, but I only place orders when I have a few books to get if not posting is quite expensive.

Actually, Starship Troopers is in my entertaining but tacky section, I like it but I know it is bad. I guess you could put it in the same part of my collection as V and Battlestar Galactica (for which they have released the movie DVD and whent hey release the series I am defeinitely buying them all on DVD!)

I forgot, as an actor I also really like Tommy Lee Jones - he is the man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Return of Bruno, had it, lost it, going to buy it again!

I thought it was great (at the time)

Though Moonlighting was the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    Ok people, what's wrong with Starship Troopers? I'll take you all on!
    Ummmm...it sucks? That's whats wrong with it. And you can take me on anyday darling Nicky.

Trust me Nicky, once you read the book you will burn your DVD. The movie has only cosmetic similarities to the book, much to the detriment of the movie. This movie is one of the few movies that I seriously wanted to walk out of. I really pissed of mty two friends and the people around us by loudly denouncing the movie as GI Joe meets Beverly Hills 90210.

The book is a social commentary about power and it's converse, responsibility. This book blows my mind. It would easily be in my top five books of all time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last movie I saw was Pearl Harbor. Great movie!! The one before that was Shrek.

Here are my favorites in no particular order:

*Pearl Harbor
    *Shrek
    *The Mask
    *Dr. Dolittle (#2 is coming soon!!!!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back!

Hey Nicky, I'm glad you realise the tackniess of Starship Troopers. It has an interesting premise but the implementation is a bit too gluey. If I tried to figure out why it looks bad I'd struggle. It just has too much of a cosmetic, Hollywood, studio-system branding to it. It needs a more sinister edge and appearance. It needs less facial and body makeup. It needs less Denise Richards. No offense to Denise, of course, because she shines in other roles.

Hmm. If I were a co-producer and they wanted me to improve the movie, I'd start with casting. Casting some people with a naturally craggy, innocent appearance would be good. How about Giovanni Ribisi? I assume that sex appeal came before screentesting performance level in the casting process. Then I'd add edge to the cinematography. This means as a producer I'd fire the cinematographer (the "DP" in America). I'd get the production designer to actually put some thought into set decoration (come on, I want some rust, cracks, and stuff).

I'm sure I can admit that the film's story had potential, but it had the wrong producer.

Silverado4x4, Pearl Harbor and Shrek aren't released yet so I haven't seen them, but the mask was okay. If you want a higher performance from Jim Carrey, have you seen "The Truman Show"? Some people don't like it but I find that it is quite thought provoking.

On Tommy Lee Jones: my favorite film for years was The Fugitive, a very great performance from Tommy Lee Jones. I haven't seen US Marshalls yet, as I assume it doesn't match up as a sequel. Anyone with comments on that?

Anarchos, I have the special DVD package of Fight Club with the bonus second CD. the packaging is cool - it is cardboard like...

bman, Falling Down is a particularly good film. Not in my top 40 probably, but very good. For years I absolutely hated Michael Douglas (I hated his typecasting in the Romantic/Adventure genre) but I like him now.

Speaking of Michael Douglas, anyone seen "The Game"? It is another of Fincher's (Fight Club) films, make 4 years ago. Amazing movie and once again the ending leaves us spellbound.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Game is absolutely FANTASTIC, it has to be in my top 50 films EVER!!!!!

It is very cleverly shot and the screenplay is excellent. I would like to read the book, has anyone read it!

I only bought it because I saw it in HMV (local video,CD,DVD shop type place) and thought

"Hmm, I haven't seen that so I will buy it!".

Highly, highly recommended, and don't say anything ahout the ending as it will spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

People, go out and rent it NOW!!!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know the animated version of StarShip Troopers is really, really good

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SHUT YOUR MOUTH Fluffy..

Robert Heinlein must be rolling in his grave at the thought of an animated version of ST, especially when the movie was such *****.

SitePoint Enthusiast heth2bthere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen Starship Troopers... heard it sucked so I never watched it... Anyways, I'm commenting on The Mummy Returns. I loved the first one but this one was terrible in my opinion. The storyline was predictable (VERY!) and it was too computer animated.. I like those movies where you can't TELL it's computer animated... Plus, Brendan Frasier is too much of a comedy man for a movie like that... I prefer more of the Harrison Ford "Indiana Jones" type actor in a movie like that.... Just my opinions.
    *Heth*
    www.plusoneplanet.com
    www.tvguide.cjb.net
    Halo Promotions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Game was pretty cool. And the ending did catch me a little off guard. And i love a movie that keeps me guessing, i have seen too many movies that were just so predictable. So if a movie keeps me guessing, i am gonna love it..

oh, but i did go see Shrek over the weekend, pretty good movie. IT just seemed to reach everyone in the theatre, from the little kids to the adults. Usually a movie is made for either kids or adults, not both. Its rare that one comes along that is made for both, and actually has a good story line in it. I think the best scene had to be the Gingerbread man scene. Anyone who has seen the movie, you know what i mean.

Still havent seen Starship troopers. And now that i know it was a book first, i will go read the book before i have see the movie. I am just like that, i like to read the book before i see the movie. My g/f hates it when i do it though, because i like to point out every single thing that the movie totally screws up.

mmj, i thought US marshalls was OK, not a great movie, but it was decent, worth seeing atleast once. Its really more of a spinoff than i sequel though. It just give you a little more insite into the great Sam Gerard, who always gets his man. And i thought Tommy Lee Jones was great in The Fugitive. I just loved the way he says, "I want a search of ever dog house, hen house..." wish i knew how the whole line went though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinions:

The Game: alright, but the end really annoyed me. Being manipulated into committing suicide isn't my idea of a good time.

Starship Troopers: a stupid movie, but entertaining

The Mummy Returns: very similar to the original, it was funny despite being a pretty funny despite being somewhat generic. [Plot Spoiler] For example, I knew there was no way the producers would let the girl die at the end, they obviously didn't have the balls to pull it off.

Also, everyone should (re-)read LOTR before the movie comes out, those books rock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you liked The Game (Nicky, bman). Anarchos, I partially agree with you, although I hesitate to say why because it could give away the plot. It gets a bit grim at some stages. Being kidnapped and left for dead in Mexico isn't my idea of a good time, either. Yikes! But then again, what do you get for the man who has everything...? People should see it at least once, it's a good yarn.

bman, I think that sometimes it is beneficial not to have read the book before seeing the movie. Particularly if the book is a lot more detailed than the movie. The reason is that they usually have to leave a great deal of the story out of the movie to fit it within the time constraints, and if you've already read the complete book you may be disappointed that they've cut so much out for the movie. For Jurassic Park and Schindler's Ark, I read the book after the movie and it was great to see more things in the book that were not in the movie. I think if I'd read the book first I'd be disappointed by the movie.

When I read "The Andromeda Strain" and then saw the movie afterwards, I was disappointed. Then again, it wasn't a particularly good movie
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmj. you probably have a point, i saw jurrassic park before i read the book and i have the same feeling about it that you do.. On the other hand i read The Lost World and The Andromeda Strain before i saw the movie, and i was disapointed with those movies. But then as you point out, Andromeda Strain was a terrible movie. And in my opinion The Lost World (Jurrassic Park II) was horrible, i mean come on, i could have done without the T-rex getting off the island and terrorizing downtown San Diego. I have the DVD, and i watched some of the special features and it has some story boards and such about how they originall planned to end it.. And it would have been so much cooler.

I am, however, going to read LOTR before the movies comes out as Anarchos suggests. Going to read it as soon as i finish the Hobbit. I have never read either of them, so i thought it was about time. I also heard from someone that there was a movie made from the Hobbit. Has anyone seen it? Was it anygood? may have to rent it this weekend if i finish up the book by then.

Anarchos, i kinda figured they wouldn't let her die either. She's too cute, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's a cartoon made in the 70's or early 80's I think. I really like that movie, it includes many of the songs they sing throughout the book, and the style of animation is cool imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool.... guess i will have to watch it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you heard they are doing a spinnoff of the Mummy called The Scorpion King. Its going to go into more detail about the life of The Scorpion King and all that stuff... and of course it will be starring The Rock....... oh yeah... haha